Summer in Mostar 2026, Art Exhibitions (Gabrijel Jurkić)

Hello readers and fellow bloggers! In this post, I'll show you four outfits I wore in Mostar city this Summer 2026. I'll show you the outfit I wore to see two art exhibitions at Kosača theatre, the outfit I wore to check out street art in Mostar, and two outfits I wore for a midday walk. Art will be the main subject of this post. I'm always happy when I have an opportunity to attend an art exhibition of any kind.  I love art. I love admiring it, owning it, sharing it and gifting it. I don't always love the process of making art, as it is usually really hard, but I like being able to create art.  I've been working on my art a lot during my break.  I also had some time to reflect on my art journey, so I might share a bit about that as well. 

 I shopped my closet for all of these outfits, so you know there will be a sustainable fashion file in this post. If you look closely, you'll see that I wore the same Lujka clutch designer bag made from paper with three of these outfits. This bag has been my 'go to' bag this Summer, as it seems to go with everything. Plus, perhaps this clutch  bag from recycled paper also reflects my book lover personality. Three of these four outfits feature skirt, and one feature a dress sworn with shorts. Are there any other similarities? Why, yes! They all feature a purple straw hat I've been wearing a lot lately. The sun is merciless in Mostar.  In fact, Mostar is known as one of the hottest cities in the entire region, with temperature regularly reaching +40 C (+104 Fahrenheit) in August. So, the only time I don't wear a wide brim straw hat is in the evening.  Let's get started. 



The first outfit I wore for a night walk in Mostar. While we were walking, I noticed that an exhibition was just being opened. Of course, I went right in. What I found is that there actually were two exhibitions. One of an art exhibition by late Croatian painter from Bosnia and Herzegovina Gabriel Jurkić and the other was an exhibition of space photography. Naturally, we visited and enjoyed both of them. I don't know have I ever mentioned this, but I enjoy reading and learning about space. Physics has always fascinated me, and astrophysics is such a natural interest for a lover of hard science fiction writing. Anyhow, let's talk fashion first, and we'll continue talking about art later.





Sustainable fashion files- How I wore these items before?

Outfit Number 1) A cherry print dress layered with a vintage skirt, a (local) designer bag and brown platform sandals


The cherry print dress (no name, old)

Well, in this styling this black cherry print dress looks like a top, but that is because I layered a midi skit over it. Do you want to see how I styled it before? I managed to find nine outfits published on my blog featuring this dress, but I know I have worn it more than that.

1-5) See five feminine ways to style it here in 2020!

6) A cherry print mini black dress paired with black stilettoes and an olive green blazer in 2021!

7) A cherry print mini dress paired with a baseball cap in 2022!

8) A cherry print dress worn with an brown blazer from fashion house Nebo, black leggings and brown bag in 2023.

9) See how I wore this cherry print dress to the beach with white heeled sandals in 2021.


The grey midi skirt (vintage)

I love this vintage skirt whose label says 'made in West Germany', so a long time ago, indeed. As you can see, I wear it all the time!

1) In 2013, I wore this grey vintage dress with a black top and black heeled boots.

2) In 2013, I wore it with a statement white scarf, cropped jacket and brown heeled boots.

3) In 2014, I styled this midi skirt with a green lace top, a white bag, a yellow oversized scarf and brown boots.

4) See how I styled it with a leopard top and Mary Jane Peko heels in 2015.

5) See how I styled this midi skirt with a white tunics, a vintage scarf, a pair of golden heels and clutch in 2015. 

6) in 2015, with a cropped jacket, yellow hoodie and Peko heels.

7) In 2015, with heels, a statement necklace and a blue turtleneck.

8) In 2016,  I styled this midi skirt with a silk blouse and a red blazer.

9-10) In 2016, I also wore this grey midi skirt two ways with a blue dress (pairing it with both heels and sneakers)

11) In 2017, I styled this midi skirt with a golden dress, bw scarf and heeled shoes.

12) See how I styled it in 2019 with a vintage leather jacket. 

13) In 2019, See how I also styled this grey midi skirt with a white off shoulder blouse and beige flats.

14) See how I styled this skirt with brown boots and a black vintage jacket in 2023.

15) I wore this skirt with high heels and a cropped jacket in 2024.

15) I wore this dark grey skirt with a light grey top for a Christmas dinner in 2024.

17) See how I wore this midi skirt with a vintage leather jacket and heeled boots in 2025.

18) See how I wore this grey midi skirt with a white lace top in 2025.

 19) Midi skirt with a leopard top and high heeled platform sandals in 2025.

20) The outfit I'm sharing today!

The Lujka clutch bag made from recycled paper (local designer)

This one is relatively new, I bought it from a loca designer from island Hvar. I think I paid 20 euros for it, or something like that. It is so well made, I need to remember to take close ups of this bag, so I can show you.

1) Lujka clutch bag with a maxi pink dress and white vest for an Iliad review in 2026.

2-3) Lujka clutch bag worn with two outfits in this Mostar 2026 post.


The brown platform sandals (no name)

The blue bracelet (gifted)

I have just noticed this blue bracelet. If I remember correctly, my maid of honour gave it to me for my wedding so I could have something blue and borrowed. I digged through my archives and realized that I have worn it often. Usually I don't wear it on its own, but with other bracelets. 

1) I wore this bracelet here layered with some other bracelet and a pink statement sleeve mini dress paired with heels in 2019. 

2) I wore it for a visit to Stolac in 2019.

3) I wore it with a floral mini dress for a visit to the historical centre of Split in 2013.

4) See how I styled this blue bracelet (layered with other bracelets) with a blue top, pencil skirt and ankle boots in 2015.

5) See how I styled this blue bracelet with a tea green set from Stanka Zovko's Ozz brand in 2021.


Now, that the fashion talk is done, let's talk about art.

Gabriel Jurkić (1886- 1974)  Art Exhibition in Mostar 

I'm a  bit ashamed to admit that I have only now learnt of the significance of Gabriel Jurkić, one of the best Croatian and Bosnian and Herzegovian painters of the  twentieth century. I mean probably heard of him, but I didn't know much. I certainly haven't seen much of his work, and never in person. So, I was very grateful for this opportunity not only to see his work in person, but also to learn more about him. I learnt that he was the first painter from Bosnia and Herzegovina to really make it in Vienna in the twentieth century, where he studied at Vienna Art Academy. After he came to Vienna Art Academy, he was immediately transferred to fourth year, with more advanced students and excelled at his studies. His art was under influence of Art Nouveau (the Modern Style aka Secession style) and Pointillism. Gabriel Jurkić was also known for his 'en plein air' works and is considered one of the best 'en plain air' painters in Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina. 

I really like this study of hands! 

Gabrijel Jurkić  was born on 24 March 1886, and he died on 25 February 1974. He was a Croat artist from Bosnia and Herzegivina. He was born in Livno, that was a part of Austrian-Hungarian monarchy, but is now a part of Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina. As many born in those times, Gabriel Jurkić lived through different states and turbulent times. 

Gabriel studied in Zagreb, that is the capital of Croatia,  before moving on to study in Vienna, the capital of Austria. In Vienna, Gabriel Jurkić attended the Vienna Art Academy.  He also studied with Polish painter Kazimierz Pochwalski. Pochwalski was a distinguished painter, and also a professor at Art Academy in Vienna. After his studies, Gabriel came back to Bosnia and Herzegovina. In 1917, Gabriel married Štefa, a French language teacher who will become an extremely prolific Catholic writer of books, articles, plays and so on. Štefa wrote for than thirty newspapers. For a time, Gabriel lived in Sarajevo (the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina) with his wife.  In 1953, Gabriel Jurkić moved back to Livno with Štefa, the city he was born it. This move was in agreement with the Catholic clergy, who invited him to work there within a local Franciscan monastery. In Livno, Gabriel Jurkić lived with his wife Štefa Jurkić, dedicating himself to his painting. Gabriel Jurkić died in 1974, leaving all of his work to Franciscan monastery where  he spent so much of his time. There is a museum dedicated to his work in Livno. His art is also displayed in museums, most notably at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Zagreb. 

I love this study as well!


The first phase of his work was under academical influence. He excelled at idyllic landscapes  inspired by Bosnia and Herzegovina as well as at portraits that managed to capture the soul of the sitter. In the second phase of his work, Jurkić frees himself from typical academical style and focuses more on pointillism and exploration of light. In his third phase, Jurkić focuses on landscape. He celebrated God not through typical religious motives but by capturing the beauty of God's creation in landscape art. He may have indeed found his peace painting in the Franciscan monastery, for her art is truly beautiful.


I love the light and the shadow in this one!

I can't say what I liked more, landscapes or portrait art I saw at this Gabriel Jurkić exhibition. The paintings and illustrations presented were mostly done in the following mediums: coloured pencils, pencils and watercolour. 

This portrait really captured my eye!


I also have a video short  to share if you want to have a better look at Gabrijel Jurkić art. I have a few more photographs, and if you're interested I can add those as well, or maybe create a collage.

Naturally, if you want to see more of this painter, you can just look him up on Internet. A number of his paintings are available for sales, with prices going around a couple of thousand euros. That is not a high price for a historically and academically acclaimed painter. In fact, it is more affordable then I would have guessed. Maybe some day I will purchase something of his myself.




Right after we left Jurkić's exhibition, we realized there is another exhibition we can see in the other exhibition space. This exhibition was an exhibition of photographs of outer space, organized by photo club Mostar and titled 'Invisible horizons'. 

The exhibition showed images from outer space. Under every image there was a description of what we were seeing. So, it was not just interesting to see, but also educational. The photographs were really beautiful to see. 


Without even planning it, we attended two exhibitions in one night. Isn't that fun? As regular readers of my blog know, I often share my art visits with you.

Below you can find links to more exhibition I attended and reported on this little place to call my own. 


1) Vlaho Buhovac, Portraits of a Family, an Art Exhibition in Mostar

As the title of the exhibition indicated, it consists of family portraits. I found it to be not just amazingly beautiful, but also very touching. Bukovac was extremely proud of his daughters, both of whom followed in his footsteps and were one of the first female painters to be admitted to the prestige art academy in Prague. Bukovac painted his daughters and wife often and with much love and affection. Bukovac's works are masterpieces, but even more than the technical skill, I was inspired by his love for his family, something that is very evident in these portraits. 

2) Ivica Lasić,  The Beauty of Wild Horses, an Art Exhibition in Mostar

Ivica Vlašić graduated at Academy of Fine Arts in Sarajevo in 1976. The same year he went to Paris to further his studies. In 1987, Ivica Vlašić went to specialize painting in Warsaw at the Academy of Fine Arts on a stipend from Polish government. Ivica Vlasić has had 53 individual and over 150 group exhibitions. He has been organizing and teaching art classes and colonies for years.  He received numerous awards and recognition for his humanitarian and creative work. 

3) Filip Ćulić. an Art Exhibition in Split

The art exhibition was by Croatian illustrator Filip Čulić. The exhibition included his illustrations and comic book art (more information here).

4) Jospit Škelj, Dubrovnik's  intermezzo,  an Art Exhibition in Mostar 

As the name itself implies (Dubrovnik's intermezzo) this exhibition is inspired by Dubrovnik. Every painting was absolutely magical and multi-layered. I love this city so I was thrilled to see Dubrovnik portrayed so beautifully. Dubrovnik is the main inspiration of Croatian painter Josip Škerlj. He belongs to a group of painters called Dubrovnik’s colourists.

5) Salko M. Peze, an Art Exhibition in Mostar
This was a very interesting exhibition my academic painter from Mostar. I especially liked the floral paintings. 

6) Prado Museum, an Open Art Exhibition in Mostar
I really enjoyed this  an open air exhibition held in Mostar by the Spanish museum Prado. You can learn more about this museum by visiting their official site.

7) Slava Raška, an Art Exhibition in Trogir

One of the greatest Croatian painters was born deaf, but by 1890 her work was exhibited in Europe. Slava really was an extremely talented watercolourist and painter. As you can imagine, life must have been hard for her.  Fortunately, it seems that her parents had understanding for their child and wanted her to get a good education. Deaf since birth, Slava had to fight to earn her place in the art word. This was late nineteen and early twentieth century, where deaf people were often considered mentally challenged in Europe.  Not everyone wanted to work with Slava or be her teacher, but fortunately Slava found a mentor in famous Croatian painter Sesija. Unfortunately, she died young, but she created nothing by beauty. 

8) Croatian painters and sculptures photographed, an Art Exhibition in Mostar

We also visited a photography exhibition focused on showcasing Croatian painters and sculptures. It was very interesting.

9) Exhibition of lesser known Dalmatian painters, an Art Exhibition in Split

This was an amazing exhibition to see, it featured lesser known, but amazing painting. It was fantastic to visit, especially as I never had the chance of seeing reproductions of these lesser known works or anything.
An Exhibition of Space Photography featured photographs of Andromeda, Heart Nebula and etc...

Both of these exhibitions were held at Kosača theatre also known as The Croatian House Herzeg Stjepan Kosača. Do you want to see more of my visits to Kosača? You can see more photographs of Croatian cultural centre/theater  Stjepan Kosača here , here , here , here,  here and here.

The Croatian house Herceg Stjepan Kosača

The institution Croatian house Herceg Stjepan Kosača, as the legal successor of the former House of culture, was founded as a public company in 1994. Work on the building itself began in 1959, and construction material was used that was prepared for the construction of the cathedral church. The designer of the building was Reuf Kadić from Sarajevo.

Today, the complex consists of several halls for various purposes, the largest concert hall with 726 seats and ancillary facilities, then the art gallery of Queen Katarina Kosača and finally a small hall - amphitheater with 120 seats for seminars, presentations or book promotions. The main activities are a space for the organization of cultural, concert or theater events, screenings of films and various artistic and literary works as well as reproductive performances.*


Aren't these images of Space Gorgeous? 


Now, that we're done with the art exhibition indoors, we'll move to an art exhibition outdoors. While we were strolling around in Mostar, we noticed some new murals and street art. Mostar is actually quite famous for its street art. Artists from all over the world come here to the annual Mostar Street Festival to create amazing art and murals. I must admit that I somehow missed a couple of new murals, but I was very happy when I finally spotted them. They are so full of colour and life. It's really a joy to see these murals and to admire new street art. Shall we now do the sustainable fashion files? 

The Summer Sustainable Fashion Files

 How I wore these fashion items before?


Outfit number 2) A Light Mini Skirt Paired With A Sleeveless Bow Tie Floral Top And Nude Heels


The light grey mini skirt (Moda in, a local Croatian brand)

1) worn with a striped Peter Pan blouse in 2019.

2) with a white tunics in 2019.

3) with Stanka Zovko teagreen blouse in 2024.

4) with a floral dress (worn as a top) and heels in 2016.

5) with my husband's undershirt and high heels in 2015.

6) with a graphic tee and a redbubble tote in 2018.

7) with a red flared top in 2019. 

8) mini skirt worn with a black swimsuit, an army print hat and tropical print sandals.


The colourful floral pussy bow top (gifted)

1-2) Worn with two outfits, a casual and a dressed up one in 2024!


The nude high heeled sandals



The Lujka clutch bag made from recycled paper (local designer)

1) Lujka clutch bag with a maxi pink dress and white vest for an Iliad review in 2026.

2-3) Lujka clutch bag worn with two outfits in this Mostar 2026 post.

4-7) Clutch bag worn with 3 outfits I'm sharing today.

The purple straw hat (gifted, no name) 

I honestly don't remember where I got this hat, maybe it was a gift. I thought it was my mom's, but she says it's mine. I think it is actually hers, but I won't mind going with it and borrowing it for a time. 
4-7) Straw hat with three outfits worn in this post


All in all, I felt quite comfortable in this styling, believe it or not. The heels are not the best choice for hot weather, but what can I say? I love wearing heels. I try  to opt for sandals with heels in the Summer. The mini skirt and the top looked quite chic together. Plus, I was not hot wearing this. This top is a bit tricky to style as it is quite wide and not something I'd reach for. I got it from a relative that wanted to get rid of it, so I only wore it twice. Still, it's growing on me. It is the only top of its kind in my closet. However, I figured it is a great choice with pencil skirts, mini skirts and even pencil pants/jeans. So, I might wear it again. 

a gif showing you several new art murals in Mostar city


Do you want to see more of Mostar Street Art? You can do so by visiting the following posts:


1) 2018 STREET ART MOSTAR , 2) 2016 STREET ART , 3) 2021 STREET ART 

4) here 5) here and 6)here

 7) https://modaodaradosti.blogspot.com/2022/01/1-black-coat-2-locations-3-winter.html

8) https://modaodaradosti.blogspot.com/2021/09/farewell-to-summer-from-mostar-city.html



I blog about Mostar often. I think street art is definitely one of its attractions. You can find it just about anywhere in Mostar, albeit it is most concentrated around the city centre. Still, you might it even in small neighbourhoods. Just wonder around, and you'll be rewarded with great street art. 




Moving onto next outfit, another outfit I wore to stroll around Mostar. I think strolling around is a great way to find inspiration to make art. Everything can be inspiring when you develop your artistic eye. Strolling around in urban areas in the full heat of the Summer can be hard, but sometimes I manage. Sometimes I give up and only come out during the night. I actually spent a lot of time indoors this Summer in Mostar, because I'm anemic and the extreme heat makes me physically ill, but when I did venture out I made sure I admire the beauty of Mostar.

Anyhow, I just wanted to wear something comfortable so I opted for a light sleeveless blouse, and a striped mini skirt paired with a straw hat and flip flops. I don't wear flip-flops often, because apparently the flip-flops are not orthopedic. Did you know that? Orthopedics would always suggest you to avoid flip-flops as they offer no support. This particular fair is not completely flat, so it is not as bad for the back as the traditional flip-flops would be, but it is still not a good choice. I got this pair from my aunt that lives in Istria, she did not like them so she gave them to me. I only wore them a couple of times, but I think they're falling apart just from being old, so you probably won't see them on this blog more than a couple of times in the future. Anyhow, let us do the sustainable fashion files. The striped skirt, on the other hand, is an item I wear often, so you might expect to see it again. The sleeveless blouse actually has a Disney print (Tinkerbell) and the label says Disney. I picked it up in a second hand shop a year or two ago. I think I wore it for work, but I couldn't find any photographs in my blog archives. 


Sustainable Summer Fashion Files
How I wore these items before?

Outfit number 3) A Striped Mini Skirt Paired With a Printed White Sleeveless Blouse and  Straw Hat

The black flip flops (gifted)

1) See how I wore them last here with a striped blue off shoulder dress

The Dark Striped Mini Skirt (Zara)- This is one of the two only items I have from Zara. I got them because my husband asked me why I don't get anything from Zara. So, I went in and bought a striped top and a striped skirt. However, I never went back to buy anything else. Malls are not really my thing.




When nostalgia is not enough...You know as someone who grew up in the nineties, I can definitely relate to Disney nostalgia. However, I was just thinking how nostalgia is often not enough. It is not enough to make me buy a movie ticket when the writing is obviously bad or when you have a feeling that the studios are just trying to cash in on nostalgia.

What I saw of the new Disney remakes did not impress me to say the least. I don't think I'll be paying a ticked to see a film adaptation of any Disney classic anytime soon. From what I've seen, the new Disney film adaptations of classics are a mess. Sometimes nostalgia is not enough. It was enough to make me pick up this t-shirt, but not enough to support the movie industry. I still do like the classical cartoons and the amazing movie soundtracks of the classical Disney films.

What is your opinion about it? Did you enjoy the new versions of the Disney classics or not? Do you plan to see the new ones. I gave up on seeing the Beauty and the Beast because it just seemed to make no sense story wise, the writing seemed very lazy.  I tried watching the new Lion King on TV, but I couldn't get into it. The Snow White remake looked like a horrible mess, if  the trailer was anything to judge by. Mulan trailer also did not have much to offer, expect from one touching moment. Honestly, nothing Disney appeals to me anymore. I think I'll just stick with the classics.  The last Disney thing I recall enjoying was Tinker Bell and the Legend of the NeverBeast (2014). I really liked that one! So, maybe their cartoons still have something to offer. However, the live-action remakes of Disney films are definitely a no for me. Sometimes nostalgia just isn't enough. I was thinking about what puts me off from many new films, and I think it mostly comes down to bad writing. If the writing is bad, no amount of CGI or acting or signing talent can't salvage it.  If the plot of the movie does not make sense, it is not going to be a movie hat makes sense. It's as simple as that. 
 
One more outfit left to share. I actually illustrated this black sheer dress  with golden polka print not once but three times not to long ago. How cool is that? 

Outfit number 4) A Black Dress Worn With Black Shorts and  White Sneakers 

Now, black might not be the best choice in Summer for obvious reasons, but sometimes it is hard to resist when you really feel like wearing black. I don't feel like wearing black often, so that is maybe why I can't resist when I do feel like wearing it. Shall we do the sustainable fashion files? I don't see why not?

Sustainable Summer Fashion Files

The Black Mini Dress With  Golden Polka Dots and Lace Details (second hand)


The Black Belt Bag (no name)

I have illustrated this black belt bag three times so far!

1) See how I illustrated this black belt bag with a vintage dress  in 2021 ( this outfit comes this same short camel coat I'm wearing today, but I did not illustrate the coat that time). 
...and see how I wore it....


The white Deichman sneakers (old)



See how I illustrated this sheer black mini dress with a polka dot print




Tremuša park is  a good place to be if you want to escape the heat. Sure, it is still hot there in Summer, but at least it's a bit better than the rest of Mostar.  Right next to park Tremuša, there is a walk named Bare. There is even a river  there, a river named Radobolja. Yes, Mostar is a city of many rivers. Why not visit Bare  and Tremuša park in Mostar with me! 


Do you want to see more posts about Mostar?  I've been blogging for more than a decade, so here are some older posts about Mostar  :

1. You can see Mostar from the bird perspective in my previous posts (here, here and here). 

2. One of my favourite streets in Mostar here and here.

 3. Musala bridge (also known under its old name Tito's bridge here and here)

 4. You can see photographs of Mostar's Catholic cathedral here.

5. You can see images of Mostar and its famous Nertva river here, here and here.

 6. You can see the surrounds of one of its most iconic Catholic churches in Mostar here.

7. You can see both photographs of old bridge and my drawing of it here

8. Another one of my favourites when it comes to streets here

9. You can see photographs of Croatian cultural centre/theater here , here , here , here and here

10. You can see photographs of the main city park here here, here, here and here.




11. You can see images of Spanish square here, here , here , here and here
12. You can see photographs of Custom's bridge here and here.
 13. You can see photographs of the new bridge here and here. 14. A few photographs from old city centre (2018) here
15. What to wear for sightseeing Mostar in summer here.
16. This post is focused on 7 outfits I wore but you can see many of Mostar's attractions there as well. I suppose the same can be said for most of my outfit posts.
 17. Mostar as an Easter destination (2019) here.
18. Mostar dinning and cafe recommendations here
19. Hiking options in Mostar here.
 20. My drawing of Mostar old bridge here
21. University campus in Mostar here
22. How I have fallen in love with Mostar here.

Once again,  I want to thank my husband for helping me with the photography aspect of these posts.
Photography  of me by Gordan Džidić (my husband)- Thank you, Gordan!
Photography of art by Ivana.
Writing & Art & Editing by Ivana.

Here is a little gif showing me getting closer, and we'll call it a day!


gif showing Bare /Tremuša park in Mostar

Thank you all for visiting and reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO 2024 MOVIE REVIEW

10 STYLE LESSONS LEARNED FROM MALENA/ MONICA BELLUCCI

THE ISLAND OF THE MISSING TREES BY ELIF SHAFAK (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION)

Warmth is important / Toplina je važna (Mostar)