TRAVEL WITH MY ART #11: DANCE OF THE SAILS ( JELSA, CROATIA)

Hello! Time for another TRAVEL WITH MY ART feature. Once again, I'm taking you to island Hvar, Croatia- more precisely to Jelsa city. I'm very excited to share this new canvas painting with you. This is the second night seascape I made (you can see the first one here). The reason why this painting is so special to me is because it captures an amazing event I witnessed last year- Dance of the Sails. You see, during the summer (every Thursday) the traditional fishing boats sail from Vrboska to Jelsa and there they put on a show. You know how much I love boats. So, why should I miss the chance to paint this amazing sailing event and share it with you?


These traditional boats actually perform to music. The boats sail in the rhythm of music and it's really such a lovely spectacle to witness. The light effects are beautiful and the music is amazing. I enjoyed this event so much last summer. So, I simply had to paint it. Painting night is a special challenge. I tried to capture all the lights and their reflection on water. Indeed, I spent a lot of time studying the reference photograph, especially the way light bounces of the surface of the water and other surfaces. There is a lot of artificial light on this seascape: the cafes, the houses and the boats themselves. They all had interesting light to paint and often these light merged onto into another. The more I looked at the reference photograph, the more I noticed more and more details.  I'm happy that I've decided upon this scene because it is beautiful. Bellow you can see the work in progress photographs as well as the reference photograph I took.  


 This 'Dance of the Sails' was such an amazing thing to see. The first time my husband and I saw this event was actually from our balcony (from the house we rented at the time) and we were amazed on spot. However, by the time we stopped taking photographs and climbed down, the event was over and the boats sailed away. We were relieved to learn that this was a weekly event and that we would be able to see it again next Thursday. We were fortunate to attend and see 'the Dance of the Sails' two more times. Moreover, we had the chance of seeing and photographing boats up close. During one of these sailing events, I bought that handmade bag I showed you. A local lady designed and sewed it. I love this bag so much and now that I think of it- doesn't it look a bit like a sail? I was also dressed appropriately for this event. I was wearing my nautical print dress. 



ALL THE 'TRAVEL WITH MY ART' POSTS BELLOW (WITH LINKS )

#10 HVAR TOWN, ISLAND HVAR ( CROATIA)

*THIS PAINTING IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR SALE! Similar paintings are available (email for details)

Thank you so much for reading and visiting. Take care. 

Comments

  1. Wow, a fantastic show and your amazing view and an even better picture ... It has to be watched live, I think it's unrepeatable

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me encanto tu pintura es muy bella como captas la luces y el color. Eres una artista genial. Te mando un beso

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post, Ivana! I am so excited about the 'Dance of the Sails' again because I saw it on your Instagram before:) That handmade bag is super fantastic<3

    akiko
    https://kimonosnack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely painting. What a great memory on canvas! Love what you've created, especially the water and boats in the night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! Such beautiful creativity. You really captured the night and the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Ivana! I hope you had a nice week :)!

    Such a magical experience! You were really lucky to see the "Dance of the Sails", actually the concept behind this show sounds so magical You were also really lucky to watch the show from a balcony, I imagine it was so special that you had to explore the event beyond and use it as inspiration for your art, which looks impressive!

    And you picked the perfect outfit for the venue by the way!

    Pablo
    www.HeyFungi.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, gorgeous!! You are so talented, I just love your paintings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful sight the SDance With the Sails must have been. I love your art, you've captured the refections perfectly! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is one of my favourites ever of yours, Ivana! I'm sure your painting captures the magic of the Dance of the Sails events perfectly. Absolutely enchanting! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Ivana, you're just getting better with every paining! I love the night colours, and your detail in the water is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love the nighttime art on this one Ivana!! The color and darkness make it so fabulous.
    XOOX
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Your paintings looks absolutely amazing. Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  13. Predivna slika. Kombinacija nijansi i kako si vjerno prenijela fotografiju na platno je savršenstvo. Oduševljena sam.

    www.exclusivebeautydiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ivana,
    Very, very beautiful canvas painting. I enjoyed it very much.
    This dancing of the sails is realy very amazing.
    thank you so much for taking me on this journey through the Croatia.
    Kisses
    Chris


    Inventando com a Mamãe / Instagram  / Facebook / Pinterest

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi
    I believe that your work is substantially more complex to paint an event that occurs at night, the lights and the reflections in the water!
    But you managed to capture that dance perfectly!
    xoxo

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Dance of the Sails sounds like such a lively and fun show. You have captured the scene beautifully. The detail on the movement of the water and the reflections is especially impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow the painting is very beautiful! i really love it ivana!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I LOVE this painting I really feel like this your calling, these landscapes are so vibrant. I love how you capture the movement of the water and the wind and the play of light. Keep it up!!

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just stopping to say hi! Happy to see that you're creating a lot on Instagram :)!

    Pablo
    www.HeyFungi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm still not sure whether to stay on Instagram or not.

      Delete
  20. This sounds like such an interesting event, it must be so beautiful to watch the enlightened boats float to the music. You've transformed that experience to canvas so beautifully! Hopefully I'll get a chance to see this for myself one day.

    LackaDaisy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you'll be able to visit island Hvar, I'm sure you would like it.

      Delete
  21. I am amazined how far you have come, the painting is spectacular. Thanks so much for sharing; the event also sounds great. <3 Makes me excited for summertime events outdoors.

    New Post! FASHION TALES

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great work, Ivana! The painting is beautiful! Love your attention to details.
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mnogo volim ovu tvoju rubriku na blogu, čak mogu reći da se njoj najviše obradujem, jer me isto tako najviše oduševi. Radovi su impresivni i tvoj talenat je nevjerovatan. Prelijep post. <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

The heart of a woman (an outfit post and a book recommendation / Srce žene (odjevna objava i preporuka knjige)

PLUS 30 WAYS TO WEAR A BABY BLUE DRESS AND LEOPARD HEELS (OUTFIT POST, MOSTAR)

OIL PASTELS VS. WATERCOLOUR PENCILS (SPLIT, FIRULE BEACH)

Sights to see, places to visit / Znamenitosti za vidjeti, mjesta za posjetiti -----Goranci

Fashion Illustration Friday: Inspired by Colours of Autum

What To See and Do in Hutovo Blato Nature Park in Summer? Exploring Bosnia and Herzegovina's Hidden Gems #1

THE ISLAND OF THE MISSING TREES BY ELIF SHAFAK (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION)

The Magic of Nature Park Hutovo Blato: Must See Places in Herzegovina

Not that pink dress again (outfit post) Ne ponovo ta roza haljina ( odjevna objava)