TRAVEL WITH MY ART #23: ZAVALA, ISLAND HVAR (CROATIA)

Hello and welcome to the twenty-third post in TRAVEL WITH MY ART category. I'm really excited to share this acrylic painting with you because I have worked on it for such a long time. So, what was the inspiration behind this painting? Where are we travelling today? Once again I'm taking you to Zavala on island Hvar. We visited this place a few time on my blog but when a place is this magical you want to return to it. As you (regular readers) know, I absolutely love island Hvar. Not only do I have roots there, but I have spent a considerable amount of time on this magical island. Most of my summers really, not to mention the fact that I worked and lived on island Hvar full time from October 2019 to November 2019. 

Back in March, I started a new regular art feature on my blog with the goal of sharing my paintings and illustrations of different places. I named it 'Travel with my Art' because I use it to share paintings depicting different destinations. So far, I have painted island Hvar a number of times. Zavala in particular appeared three times already in this feature. Most of the places I painted are located in Croatia because that's where I'm from and the area I know best.

Once again, I used my husband's photograph as a reference. As you know, I usually use either my own photographs or those taken by my husband. There is this photograph that he took in Zavala back in Semptember 2019 that I really like so that was my main inspiration for this painting. I love the framing of this photograph and the light. I enjoy how busy it is, meaning that it has lots of details. The contrast between the shallow waters and the sea was particularly fascinating to me.  

Naturally I was also inspired by other photographs we have taken back in 2019 as well and I'll share some of them later. Turning this photograph into an acrylic painting proved a bit challenging but more about that later. The art supplies (professional acrylic paints) used to make this painting are by Royal Talens brand.  The high quality canvas was bought in art gallery Michelangelo. For any inquiries about purchasing my art originals, you may email me. Scroll down for more details and to see the reference photography. 

 


IT TOOK  ME A WHILE TO FINISH THIS PAINTING!




THE MAKING OF A PAINTING 'SHALLOW AND DEEP WATERS'

There are so many layers in this painting, as one would expect from a realistic painting. When I first started painting more seriously a few years ago, I was naturally attracted to impressionist style. However, with time I started to do more realistic style paintings. Moreover, I even introduced some elements of hyper-realism in my art. My painting style is evolving as we speak. I started this painting without a particular plan in mind when it came to style it was going to be painted in. One thing I was sure about where the tonalities and colours I wanted to use. I sort of worked from there. I have spent hours studying the reference photographs. Capturing this scene on canvas was no easy task. Not only is this particular scene full of details, it's also filled with different tonalities. Moreover, the light reflections were challenging to paint as well. The light reflections in the natural shallow 'pool' created by rocks are very different from the light reflection on the waves and the sea. Don't even get me started on painting the sea foam. It's as time consuming and difficult as painting pearls. It took me a long time to finish this canvas. I didn't time myself but it definitely took more than a hundred hours.

I have put  so much effort into this painting but I think it payed off. What do you think? I love the shallow pool I painted, probably my favourite part of the painting. It's fascinating to paint the sea. There are so many different colours and tonalities you need to know how to use and mix. Moreover, you must be so careful with reflections and shades to get it right. It can be quite hard to make the sea come alive. Often it can be exhausting, but you can also get into the 'zone' and then it feels natural. I can't say that I'm completely figured my technique when it comes to painting the sea. I'm still learning. Paintings like this one are great for really studying the sea.  However, these kind of detailed and realistic seascapes take a lot from me. That is why I need to make pauses to work on easier stuff. Wrist, neck and back pains are often the price to pay when you do a more ambitious painting. While painting, I was probably using a very fine and thin brushes for about 95 percent of the time....and believe me when I say that I worked hard.  That's just how realistic painting works. 



MORE MOMENTS CAPTURED ON CAMERA FROM ZAVALA ON ISLAND HVAR & A COLLAGE FEATURING PHOTOGRAPHS FROM MY PREVIOUS VISITS TO ZAVALA 




MORE TRAVEL WITH MY ART LINKS 
If you want to see what other locations inspired me to paint them, click the links bellow.


....A FEW MORE CLOSE UPS OF THIS SEASCAPE PAINTING



For those interested, prints of this art piece are available in my redbubble shop (on stickers, t-shirts, poster prints , phone cases and a lot more). As always thank you for your visits to my blog. Take care and have a great week ahead!

 

Comments

  1. Hermosa imagen te salio muy bella. Te mando un beso y te deseo una buena semana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pics and amazing place.
    Croatia is definitely on my bucket list ♥

    Ann
    https://roomsofinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic place, beautifil pics and amazing art!!! You will be famous artist Ivana... I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this painting for sale? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to go there one day. Such beautiful nature!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely stunning. You and the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not surprised that you are returning again and again, both in real life and in your paintings, to Island Hvar, and Zavala in particular. It is indeed a magical place, which you've once again captured magnificently. This is a true masterpiece, Ivana! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful paintings! Really good job. Have a wonderful new week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You captured the waves and the light on the water so beautifully - it was definitely worth all the time you put into this painting, it's stunning! You always capture water so well and it's not an easy thing to get right! These are fun photos too :)

    Hope that your week is off to a great start!

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful art and love the photos. You look great :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's AMAZING! You know I love traveling with you in your beautiful country. I see enormous growth in your skills, and of course as any artist (writer etc) you develop your style and change over time. This painting is gorgeous, and I can only imagine the endless hours of very precise work... Lovely to see you and your husband - you are a beautiful couple! Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful painting, Ivana!
    I love see the way of your painting the sea on your Instagram. After that, it is so exciting to see the painting on your blog!! The light reflections are so beautiful, and they look many pearl necklaces!! You and your husband are really beautiful in Zavala!

    akiko
    https://kimonosnack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have captured the light in the shallows so perfectly, Ivana! This is now my favourite of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Ivana, I hope you're having a nice week so far!

    This is just pure inspiration, in many ways: art, travels, photography and fashion. You always know how to get to an interesting middle point where all the categories make a really good combination.

    I love this series on your blog and it has inspired to look at my city and the places that surround me with different eyes. The light reflections, the shape of the waves, the rocks and the sky look so beautiful! I also think is really nice that you can get inspired by the photos of your husband, really nice work in team Ivana :D!

    Excited to travel more across your region through your art!

    Pablo
    www.HeyFungi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it is nice to have a helping hand. We work well as a team, the two of us. Thank you for.your kind words.

      Delete
  15. This looks amazing! wonderful seascape with all it's colors and movement! Lovely capture! Oh, what a project! So glad you know the sea so well. And such patience! Adoring your work! Glad to see pics of you two in some downtime❤

    ReplyDelete
  16. Impressive! Love the colors and so much more. Yes, this is such a wonderful creation! Awesome results! Hope you are doing well and staying strong. Such a beautiful masterpiece! Loved the pics at the end too. All the best to your passion!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful place!
    Crystal clear water, i loved it ♥

    https://www.heyimwiththeband.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Queste location sono meravigliose, come le tue foto, e i tuoi disegni sono fantastici, così reali!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself


    My Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great shots :) greetings from Turkey merhaba:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello
    It's clear Ivana that we can see that your art has evolved, that picture is perfect and what I love most about your art is the colors! I loved seeing the photos you are working on the painting, the making of is always very interesting to see!
    xoxo

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a gorgeous painting, Ivana- you did an amazing job!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  22. You captured the game of the waves wonderfully, dearest Ivana! Great picture!
    All the best, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/12/oma-freuden-und-was-sonst-noch-im.html


    ReplyDelete
  23. Your painting is amazing. Cris

    http://www.photosbycris.com.au/?p=14848

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just the images I needed to see on a grey and dull English winter morning! Fabulous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, one needs distraction from this rainy weather we have been having.

      Delete
  25. wow amazing view, In portugal is autumn
    http://retromaggie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh WOW, this is stunning! You're incredibly talented!

    Lots of love,
    Krissi of the marquise diamond
    https://www.themarquisediamond.de

    ReplyDelete
  27. These pics are so lovely and the place is really amazing. Wonderful Post! Have a great day!
    Rampdiary | Fineartandyou | Beautyandfashionfreaks 

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing ♥

    https://www.heyimwiththeband.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Чудесные фото! Даже в отпуск захотелось ))

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Ivana,
    I hope everything is ok with you, the situation you told me about the hospitals there is very bad, much worse than here in Portugal, I sincerely hope you are ok, big hug!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. E' sempre piacevole viaggiare con la tua arte, sei bravissima!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself


    My Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congrats on such a beautiful painting of Zavala island!
    Have a nice week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. You are so talented.
    Lovely painting.

    Ann
    https://roomsofinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. Just passing by, take care Ivana!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh congratulations darling
    The painting is fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  36. wow amazing photos
    http://retromaggie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  37. In Croatia I saw the most beautiful landscapes :) I love your paintings! You have a huge talent :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. There are so many lovely things about this blog post. It's lovely to see you with your partner, even more lovely to see you painting and in your element, and the landscapes look so beautiful over there!

    aglassofice.com x

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is such a gorgeous painting! I love the inspiration photos as well. I can see why it was such a labor of love and took you so long to complete. The detail is incredible!

    Ekaterina | Polar Bear Style

    ReplyDelete
  40. Amazing photos.

    www.paginasempreto.blogspot.com.br

    ReplyDelete
  41. Rad je izvanredan, ništa manje nisam ni očekivala. Divno! 🤗💕

    ReplyDelete
  42. Dearest Ivana,
    I hope you are healthy and doing well! I am here today to wish you a wonderful Christmas holiday and a good start into 2022, because I want to take a "Christmas blog break". 🎄🕯️✨
    All the best, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/12/advent-2021-bei-den-rostrosen.html

    ReplyDelete
  43. This paint looks so realistic that at first I thought it was a photo!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Apparently it seems like you guys enjoyed a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Your painting looks so realistic, I thought it was a photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I was aiming for a realistic look with this one.

      Delete
  46. the beach looks so wonderful ! and i love your painting as well

    ReplyDelete
  47. Jako volim ove tvoje postove u kojima kroz slike predstavljaš djeliće predivne obale Jadranskog mora. POsebno sada u zimsko vrijeme kada sam okružena snijegom jako mi je lijepo vidjeti slike mora i podsjetiti se na ljeto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hvala. Lijepo je doista sjetiti se ljeta i sunca. Ovdje je sada oblačno i kišno pa i meni nedostaje sunce.

      Delete
  48. Hvar seems to be amazing place - OMG looking at this pictures and painting I miss the summer so much :-)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hi Ivana
    I hope everything is fine with you, in fact I am very worried about your disappearance from the blog! I sincerely hope you are covid free! I wish you good health this Christmas, I think it's the best gift I can give you, but it's not in our hands, but if we think positively I think it helps!
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear. I'm not worried about Covid but I do have some other health problems that kept me away.

      Delete
  50. Beautiful beyond measure, dear Ivana. Thank you very much for bringing a hefty dose of very welcome sunshine back into many of our lives via this enchantingly lovely seascape painting.

    Many hugs & joyful holiday season wishes,
    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
  51. So lovely to see these images from a cold, soggy UK Ivana. Oooh, I can just imagine dipping my feet in that crystal blue water xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Yes, I think art like this can really relax us.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

The heart of a woman (an outfit post and a book recommendation / Srce žene (odjevna objava i preporuka knjige)

PLUS 30 WAYS TO WEAR A BABY BLUE DRESS AND LEOPARD HEELS (OUTFIT POST, MOSTAR)

OIL PASTELS VS. WATERCOLOUR PENCILS (SPLIT, FIRULE BEACH)

Sights to see, places to visit / Znamenitosti za vidjeti, mjesta za posjetiti -----Goranci

Fashion Illustration Friday: Inspired by Colours of Autum

What To See and Do in Hutovo Blato Nature Park in Summer? Exploring Bosnia and Herzegovina's Hidden Gems #1

THE ISLAND OF THE MISSING TREES BY ELIF SHAFAK (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION)

The Magic of Nature Park Hutovo Blato: Must See Places in Herzegovina

Not that pink dress again (outfit post) Ne ponovo ta roza haljina ( odjevna objava)