TRAVEL WITH MY ART #4: MATEJUŠKA, SPLIT, CROATIA

Hello dear readers! Today I'll share another location illustration with you. As some of you know, I started a new feature on my blog that will be all about virtual travel with the help of my art and sometimes photographs. I think we can all use some virtual travel right now as travelling options are restricted. This watercolour pencil landscape was inspired by Split city, Croatia. More specifically, it was inspired by one of my favourite sights in Split city and that would be these absolutely gorgeous historical stone houses in immediate vicinity of Matejuška port

These beautiful stone houses seem to grow out of stones themselves. They look like something straight from the fairy- tale. I can never get tired looking at them, I tell you. So, why not illustrate them? When I saw a photograph of these stone houses in a touristic brochure, I decided to illustrate them and to use that promotional photograph as a reference. I sketched the houses with staetdler watercolour pencils and then added some water to turn it into an aquarelle. On overall, I'm satisfied with the illustration but I might illustrate this spot again using my own photographs as a reference.  In fact, I browsed some of my old photographs and I think I have got some good angles on many of them. Moreover, the colours on the promotional photographs don't seem to match with those I took on various occasions.  I even took some new photographs recently (I will share those as well soon). Maybe the walls on the houses were really quite saturated at some point in time, but on all of my photographs (spanning over several years) they are a paler shade. My illustration is quite saturated because it was based on that promotional photograph, but as I explained, I will probably make another illustration some time in the future. Well, scroll down to see more a few more photographs and compare for yourself.


Even if I don't live in Split full time anymore, I still carry it in my heart. Split is my hometown and as such it has been a star of many of my blog posts. I also like the double meaning Split has in English. I like it so much that I adopted it as my user name on blogger- Ivana Split. If you want to know more about this historical town on coast of Dalmatia, Croatia, well then feel free to check out my old posts:



Thank you for reading and visiting. This illustration is available for purchase as a photographic print here  and on plus 80 products here.

Comments

  1. they are beautiful buildings and what a great illustration - so intricate with all the stones, it must have taken you a while!

    Hope you are having a fun weekend. The rain has stopped here so we went out to one of the unflooded trails in the neighbourhood yesterday :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dibujas genial adore los edificios te salieron muy bien te mando un beso y esperó que estés mejor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those beautiful houses, the imposing rocks on which they were made, as if they had sprung from them, it is something unique. And your drawing is phenomenal, I congratulate you Ivana, and thank you for giving us your artistic look :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Ivana, you are such a talented artist! I love your fashion illustrations, but your landscapes are fantastic too. And I looooove your outfit with the blue dress and the striped jacket! It's so cute and feminine. You look adorable. And please excuse me for not writing in such a long time.
    Kisses Nadine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry about it. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Have a great day ahead.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love the rock houses. Very unique how you presented them with such color. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful way to remember your hometown! I am sure they appreciate too. Very vivid!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a way of painting those intricate bricks! I really enjoyed your artistic interpretation of these ancient buildings. Something about it revealed the mindset behind how buildings were built then and I really appreciate the workmanship put into it from the work in the buildings themselves to your art. I also love the look you wore in the photos! Such an elegant number and you look amazing :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your watercolour pencil townscape is absolutely stunning. The colours are so vibrant! I'm loving the photos of the real thing as well, those houses which seem to grow organically from those rock are very picturesque. I'm not surprised that you carry your hometown of Split in your heart, and even tributed the name of your blog to it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous photos and artwork :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post, Ivana! Those stone houses are really beautiful and cute! The meaning of "split" is so fascinating! Thank you for taking me to Split in the virtual travel<3

    akiko

    ReplyDelete
  12. Prelijepo odrađeno. Sve pohvale! 👏👏👏

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love both the illustrations and the photos. Gorgeous!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

The heart of a woman (an outfit post and a book recommendation / Srce žene (odjevna objava i preporuka knjige)

PLUS 30 WAYS TO WEAR A BABY BLUE DRESS AND LEOPARD HEELS (OUTFIT POST, MOSTAR)

Sights to see, places to visit / Znamenitosti za vidjeti, mjesta za posjetiti -----Goranci

THE ISLAND OF THE MISSING TREES BY ELIF SHAFAK (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION)

Fashion Illustration Friday: Inspired by Colours of Autum

Island Hvar inspired this necklace (outfit post)/ Otok Hvar je nadahnuće za ovu ogrlicu (odjevna kombinacija)

The Magic of Nature Park Hutovo Blato: Must See Places in Herzegovina

Not that pink dress again (outfit post) Ne ponovo ta roza haljina ( odjevna objava)

Lake Mostar (revisited) / Mostarsko jezero (ponovni posjet).