DIY PROJECT: SEWING A LACE TABLECLOTH ONTO A SKIRT

Hello lovely readers! How have you been? I've been doing alright, a bit sleep deprived and exhausted  at times but on overall not too bad. I can't complain. I feel like you can't really complain when you get to live on most beautiful island on the world (that would be HVAR), even in these crazy times. It just doesn't sound right, does it? Anyhow, today I'm showing you a simple hiking outfit that is all about this vintage DIY lace skirt. I do like a bit of lace detailing on my skirts as you might know (here), so let's see what you need for this super easy DIY project.
HOW TO MAKE A DIY  LACE SKIRT WITH THINGS YOU HAVE AT HOME? 
Today I'm wearing a skirt that I 'accessorized' myself eight years ago.  I figure it is a good thing to post about with coronavirus putting a stop to shopping and making many want to alter, DIY, upycle and recycle their clothing items. To this day, this was one of the easiest DIY projects I have ever done and it's really effective. It is so easy a child could do it and it requires only the most basic of sewing skills. Basically what you do is you find a  crochet lace tablecloth you no longer need or use (you can also thrift one) and then you sew it onto a skirt. I'm assuming that most of you probably have a vintage crochet lace tablecloth at home- at least if you're were I'm from. A nice way to make it pop out is to choose a skirt in a contrasting colour. So, if your crochet lace tablecloth is white, opt for a darker skirt to make it stand out more. This navy skirt is vintage. It used to belong to my mother, I believe. Understandingly, I wasn't happy when I accidentally burned it with an iron. However, I managed to find an amazingly simple solution for it. I sewed a lace tablecloth (also vintage) onto the front part to cover for the burn marks. It only took a few stitches to hold it in place. The best part of this DIY is that  it is reversible. The tablecloth wasn't damaged. When I get bored of wearing it like this, I can easily remove it. Suffice to say, I'm quite happy with this solution. You can see me wearing this skirt as early as December 2012. I don't have a tutorial for this skirt because I made it a long time ago but you can see it up close in some of my previous posts: 
PREVIOUSLY WORN HERE
PREVIOUSLY WORN HERE

HIKING IN CORONAVIRUS TIMES
I did wear a mask (we have finally been able to buy a few of them) but I took it off for photographs. I'm not sure should I be wearing one for hiking in nature where there aren't any other humans in sight, especially since I haven't seen a soul on our walk. However, I want to be responsible so I usually wear one when I go out.  Not that I go out much. My husband has been generous and took on grocery shopping onto himself. I'm on immune suppressant medicine so I'm more vulnerable to any kind of infection. Anyhow, this island isn't densely populating and most people are (just like us) staying in most of the time. With the regulations not allowing visits to the islands, we should be relative safe. What else can I say? This seemed a good hiking outfit. I also wore a tartan blazer I took off soon enough as it was really hot that day. 
THE STORY OF MY OUTFIT
THE TARTAN BLAZER- I devoted an entire post to this tartan blazer. Enough said.
THE BLUE SHIRT- purchased in February in Mana. You've seen it here and you'll be seeing it a lot. 
THE NAVY SKIRT- I already linked it up above so....
THE WHITE SNEAKERS- you can see how I styled these sneakers in the past with jeans here, with a dress here, with blue jeans and a blazer here,  with burned orange jeans here and with an all sporty styling here and with ripped jeans here
Thank you for stopping by and commenting. Isn't Jelsa so beautiful? Have a nice day. Take care and stay safe. 

Comments

  1. What a nice post 😊 thanks for your sharing 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea with the lace table cloth. It looks fantastic against a dark skirt! I am glad you are staying safe Ivana. It must be a little scarier being on a medication that suppresses your immune system. You certainly are lucky to be living on such a gorgeous island. It must be quiet no without the tourists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea! I don't have any lace tablecloths - I have never owned one! - but it's making me wish I'd hung onto the lace curtains that came with our condo! That tartan blazer is fantastic.

    There are few masks here - I have not got one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea, not only as adding the crochet tablecloth helped save your skirt after burning it with an iron but it also adds individuality and style.
    I think lace tablecloths are probably more embedded in Mediteranean culture than ours, I've seen them in tourist shops and markets in Greece, Spain & Malta but most homes don't have them here - sadly!
    Masks aren't really a thing here, the experts say that they might help a little if you're carrying the virus but as the droplets are airborne wearing one won't keep you safe from infection. The best mask is our front door.
    Stay safe, Ivana! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Questo posto è magnifico..Stai davvero bene!
    XoXo
    Antonella
    https://antonellabasile.blogspot.com/
    IG:antonella_b94

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post dear!
    HAPPY DAY AT HOME
    xoxo
    http://stylishpatterns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea, you'd never know you did it after you damaged the skirt, great way to cover it up! :)

    It's nice you've been able to get masks. I have tried the DIY no sew masks with hair ties and a handkerchief at home but I haven't worn it out yet - they say we don't need masks in Australia unless we are sick and I always go grocery shopping at the quietest point of the day. I don't go out otherwise, unless we are just walking around the neighbourhood and we can keep lots of distance then if we do see anyone else!


    Hope that your week is going well :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh so cute skirt darling
    Nice photos
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this idea is amazing!! Really like this DIY!
    Have a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a fun idea Ivana and the skirt looks great! Pictures are wonderful hun!


    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos and I do love that skirt! It looks so stylish :-D

    ReplyDelete

  12. Hi nice article I loved reading it, do check my post on hauteher fashion tips for face you would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just loved this post, dear! Thanks for sharing xx

    NEW POST: https://fallingforvogue.blogspot.com/2020/04/favoritos-de-cosmetica-lowcost.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a beautiful upgrade, small detail can really make all the difference <3 I envy you being able to walk around by the sea, there's always just something beautiful about the seaside <3

    LackaDaisy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jelsa is indeed very beautiful and what a lovely place for a hike. Embellishing that skirt with the lace tablecloth was genius! I'm in two minds about masks. And so is our government, it seems, first telling us wearing one isn't the answer, then telling us maybe it is. There's no need to wear them on nature hikes, though, only in case you are among people. That said, my husband's daughter is making us some fabric masks, in case we decide to wear them. Maybe we will for shopping, but my husband doesn't really feel the need. We'll see. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This turned out GREAT! I am so bad at sewing one reason I did not go in to fashion lol. Much better at baking and cooking. The most I can do is cut and distress jeans lol. And you are RIGHT this is a truly BEAUTIFUL place to live. Is it expensive?? Even Paris is cheaper then most of the U.S I mean you can get a decent apartment for $600/month 20 mins from the city. Not here. I want to move abroad when I retire. Cheaper then Florida!

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prices here are about the same as the one you list in France, the main issue was finding someone who was willing to rent because most prefer to only rent to tourists for some reason. With so many apartments basically empty during the winter and off season, I was sure I would find something but it was so hard to find anything. I finally managed to find this tiny apartment that is not renovated so it is not suitable to be rented to tourists. Maybe now with less tourists it will be easier. So, yes, the prices are alright, although with my high house mortgage that I'm paying in another country with horrible rates- any rent is expensive and feels like money down the drain if you know what I mean.

      Delete
  17. Ivana...not that's such a wonderful way to recycle things. This would work even if you weren't trying to cover up a burn mark. And it adds such a wonderful detail to the skirt. You are just full of fabulous ideas.
    OXOX
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah, the waters are so dreamy!
    I love your DIY projects and I agree that adding lace to things is a genius idea!!! (I also spy your necklace too!).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cool lace skirt. I really liked how it looks on you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Combines with different looks, which is great. All good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great idea, the lace skirt looks cool on you.
    Stay safe ♥

    Ann
    https://roomsofinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful photos Ivana! You visit lovely places! I'm sleep deprived as well lately. Be well and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Incantevole questo posto! Mi manca il mare!
    Hai avuto un'idea grandiosa con la gonna, davvero bella!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself

    ReplyDelete
  24. Incredible idea!
    I would love to make the same thing, so lovely!
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Ivana! To bring this useful and creative content is always inspiring, I'd say many follower would find it interesting since now many people is having more time to accomplish and try new creative activities.

    Love the result, it is bold but very delicate and subtle, I think you can pair it with a lot of tops, jackets and shoes!

    PS: I loved the photo of you with the skirt and the mask, it is curious!

    Enjoy the weekend!
    Pablo
    www.heyfungi.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just loved this post, dear! Thanks for sharing xx

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Super fotkice, jako mi se svidja ova tvoja ideja sa suknjom, a vidis i koliko dugo ju vec imas i nosis, znaci da se radi o stvarno voljenom odjevnom predmetu. Odlicno! Pusa

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a fun and sustainable idea to transform an old tablecloth into a skirt. It came out great. Living on such a gorgeous island must surely help your mindset a lot. I'm doing better since I've been able to work through and rehab the pinched nerve in my neck which was causing terrible pain.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

SPRING IN MOSTAR CITY: A VINTAGE PURPLE BLAZER PAIRED WITH A FLORAL DRESS

SPRING IN SPLIT : 3 OUTFITS, ONE WORN FOR AN ART EXHIBITION

WELCOMING SPRING WITH 15 IDEAS TO COMBAT SPRING FATIGUE!

Let there be colour! (outfit post) / Neka bude boja (odjevna kombinacija)

Painting of the day (A Lioness) / Slika dana (Lavica)

21 WAY TO STYLE A MINI FLORAL DRESS (FOR ALL SEASONS)

10 STYLE LESSONS LEARNED FROM MALENA/ MONICA BELLUCCI

Summertime in Mostar (black and white dress) / Ljeto u Mostaru (crno bijela haljina)

Sights to see, places to visit / Znamenitosti za vidjeti, mjesta za posjetiti -----Goranci