CHURCH FORTRESS OF SAINT MARY OF MERCY, VRBOSKA ISLAND HVAR

Today I'm sharing with you an amazing historical fortress that is also a church. The Church of St. Mary of Mercy is not the only historical church on island Hvar, but it is definitely one of the most impressive ones. What makes it so special is that it is a true fortress.  In addition, the church of Saint Mary of Mercy is very unique in its design, a true rarity among European fortress churches. This church is the most beautiful and impressive architectural site in Vrboska. During the tourist season, the church of Saint Mary of Mercy is open from 10 am to noon and from 6 to 7 pm but in low season you should announce your visit to the parish office. The church fort of Saint Mary in Vrboska is quite a sight! We only glanced at it from outside, but I do plan to come inside as well. I have already blogged about village Vrboska (read my posts here and here). Today I'll focus specifically on this amazing fortress church that you can find in this picturesque village. I also have a ballpoint pen fashion sketch to share with you. This time I illustrated an outfit I wore on that particular day. 
THE FORTRESS CHURCH OF MARY OF MERCY- AN INTERESTING HISTORY
 This beautiful church dates back to the 16th century. It was erected in 1572, following a Turkish attack on the Vrboska village during which an older church from 15th century was destroyed. In fact,  the Ottomans didn't just destroy the old church, they also burned this village to the ground. So, the locals set to build a fortress church. The construction continued for many years until it was finally finished. This church is a relic from the times when the Ottomans raided these lands and Croatia was one of the last bastions of Christendom. Like some other Slavic countries, Croatia had fought a war with the Ottoman Empire that lasted for centuries. The soldiers of the Ottoman Empire regularly killed or enslaved locals, burned city and villages to the ground, so fortified walls and strong fortresses were a necessity. You can read more about it in my other posts about island Hvar. There are quite a few fortified villas and churches on island Hvar. This one is perhaps the most majestic of them all because it is more than just a fortified church, it's a real fortress church. It is definitely worth a visit. In addition, this church can boost with some valuable works of art, most notably a number of historical paintings. 


MORE POSTS ABOUT ISLAND HVAR 



Thank you for reading and visiting. Do you know of any interesting historical sights? What is the most interesting church you have ever seen? Have you ever been in a fortified church? Have a lovely day!

Comments

  1. Looks like a nice place to visit. We have lots of lovely places in Scotland - just not the weather honestly so bad here!!!! Always raining.

    I love your outfit too - you look great with the lilac top :-D And lovely sketches :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to visit castles in Scotland some day. I know there are lots of them.

      Delete
  2. Such a wonderful place and that church looks really amazing!
    You look so lovely in this outfit, these colors suit you so well!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice place dear!! And nice post!;)
    Have a great day! xx

    La ilusión de Nina - http://lailusiondenina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing to hear these stories Ivana. Especially when you consider how long it takes to build something like this.
    XOOX
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed it took them quite a while. While the time they finished, the Turks have lost much of their power and weren't an immediate threat.

      Delete
  5. What an amazing place! The most awe-inspiring church I've ever been in was Notre Dame de Paris. I'm so glad I got to see it before that awful fire.

    I love your pictures, and laughed with delight at your drawings of your outfit, posed the same way! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another beautiful building in Vrboska. The wall looks unique.
    I like your outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen a fortress church before - it looks so interesting and not what I'd expect a church to look like! I like your purple knit too with the fun printed skirt :)

    Hope that you are having a great week :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks very pretty, you would love the temples in japan were I live simply beautiful whatever time of the year

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!!! I love seeing castles from all over, so wonderful. You look incredible too :)) Happy Thursday lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to visit Scotland's castles some day. I hope I will get the chance.

      Delete
  10. Such a marvellous place , you look fab darling.


    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a marvelous structure and such a unique place for a church.
    Love your pics.

    Ann
    https://roomsofinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the most impressing church I haver saw is in our neighbour village. It is an basilica from the 11th century. But also this church resp. fortress is a very impressing building. And I like your outfit with the pale lilac sweater a lot!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting post! I have never been there.


    Carrrolina Blog-klik

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ma è veramente impressionate quella Chiesa! Ne ho viste di simili, anche in Croazia, ma credo di non averne mai vista mai una così grande e fortificata!
    Vivendo a Roma (ed in Italia), come immaginerai, di Chiese bellissime ce ne sono quante ne vuoi, però hanno tutte uno stile molto diverso da questa!
    Molto molto carino anche il tuo outfit, mi piace tantissimo soprattuto l'abbinamento di colori, e trovo che la linea di quella gonna ti stia davvero bene! Sei carinissima!
    Baci!
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Che spettacolo, sembra una cattedrale nel deserto! E quanto mi piace il tuo look!
    Don't Call Me Fashion Blogger
    Facebook
    Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd never heard of a church fort, but how impressive it is. We have quite a few interesting churches and other building nearby, my favourite being a baroque church in Antwerp. But there are so many others. Like you, I'm a bit of a history buff, and can never resist stepping inside a church. It's fascinating how your incorporated those fun byro drawings in your photo montages! Wishing you a wonderful weekend ahead, Ivana. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to visit it. Baroque churches fascinate me. I definitely can't resist stepping inside of a church. I've been known to stop friends driving when I saw a historical church that seems worth a visit.

      Delete
  17. How fascinating that this is a church combined with a fortress but after reading your account of the history behind it, it totally makes sense why it was built in that manner. Thank you for this very interesting lesson today Ivana! You look lovely as always!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hvala ti Alec, nadam se da ćeš ga posjetiti uskoro. Hvar je divan otok.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This place is so beautiful and so are you! Nice Post! Have a great day!
    Allurerage
    Rampdiary

    ReplyDelete
  20. This church looks so amazing, love it. Little bit similar churches I have seen in UK :-)
    You look so lovely in this outfit.

    Of course when I Will be in Hvar I will let you know and we can meet each other :-D

    Have a lovely weekend dear xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a pretty outfit, Ivana. I love the elongation of the look with the tall boots and slender skirt. I have a fondness for churches every time that I travel I like capturing them and learning the history of the building. Great post.<3
    FASHION TALES

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's a beautiful place! You have so much beautiful historical scenery around you!
    I love the shades of sky that you are wearing.x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooh what a wonderful place and an interesting history behind, I always like to check data before going to a place (even tho some of them are unexpected visits) but also investigate more after the visit, I always find something new! This place looks like many fortress around in Spain, there are many things that I can see here talking about the architectural details :)

    And your outfit in lilac is so cool, I've been looking for garments in these colors for so long but I couldn't catch them yet!

    Pablo
    www.heyfungi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does remind me of churches in Spain. Thank you! Lilac is a great colour.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

The heart of a woman (an outfit post and a book recommendation / Srce žene (odjevna objava i preporuka knjige)

PLUS 30 WAYS TO WEAR A BABY BLUE DRESS AND LEOPARD HEELS (OUTFIT POST, MOSTAR)

OIL PASTELS VS. WATERCOLOUR PENCILS (SPLIT, FIRULE BEACH)

Sights to see, places to visit / Znamenitosti za vidjeti, mjesta za posjetiti -----Goranci

Fashion Illustration Friday: Inspired by Colours of Autum

THE ISLAND OF THE MISSING TREES BY ELIF SHAFAK (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION)

What To See and Do in Hutovo Blato Nature Park in Summer? Exploring Bosnia and Herzegovina's Hidden Gems #1

Metković (outfit post/ odjevna objava)

My new creation (outfit post) / Moja nova kreacija (odjevna kombinacija)