A SEASIDE PAINTING INSPIRED BY BAY TORAC, ISLAND HVAR

Today I'll share a new painting inspired by bay Torac (island Hvar) with you. The medium is watercolour pencils on mixed media paper. As you might remember, I visited bay Torac (island Hvar) back in June. I had stayed in apartment 4044 for a few days until the official start of summer (that also happens to be the birthday of one family member), then I went back to Mostar. Hotels and hostels are also a good option for your Croatian vacation, but personally I prefer apartments because they offer cooking facilities. Speaking of island Hvar as a vacay option, if you still haven't booked your summer vacation in Croatia, the apartment I stayed in is free from 17th of August until the 23rd of August (you can book it right away with this agency or you can make the reservation directly). If you remember, this apartment belongs to my parents, so if you want to negotiate a better price than what the agency is offering, send me an email and I'll forward it to them;). Nothing wrong with booking an apartment with an agency when visiting the Adriatic coast, especially so on a first visit when you don't know anyone. However, my advice is that if you do know someone, you take advantage of it to get a better price (the agencies do take a percentage for their service). Either way, the Croatian coast is quite stunning really and I definitely recommend visiting it. 
I actually visited island Hvar once again this month, so I stayed on the island both in June and July. I have yet to organize the photographs I took on my last visit to island Hvar, though. I also need to find the time to write up the posts that I have planned. I do enjoy writing about Croatia, but travel posts can take time to put together. As much fun they are to write, they can be quite time-consuming.  However, I do have a fresh island Hvar painting to share with you. Earlier this June I stayed in village Gdinj with my grandmother and on my last visit I was in bay Torac only twice for a quick swim, the rest of time I was hanging around in the village itself, not its accompanying bays but I did paint a boat scene from bay Torac. In fact, as already mentioned, today I'm showing you this seascape I painted with watercolour pencils. I have gifted the original painting to my parents, but the print is available as print in my redbubble shop and as a print placed on other products (see the collage bellow for some examples). I'm not very active in the redbubble community but I do upload my art there fairy often. I haven't opened a new art shop yet because I've been quite busy with other stuff but also because I don't see a great interest in it. I'm still undecided whether to give it another go. You can also visit my last FASHION ILLUSTRATION FRIDAY post for more art inspiration. 

CROATIAN SEASIDE PAINTING- WATERCOLOURS ON PAPER 
THIS PRINT IS AVAILABLE ON 57 PRODUCTS VIA REDBUBBLE

I've also prepared some work in process collages to walk you through the painting process. So far, working with these Steadler watercolour pencils  (not sponsored) has been smooth sailing, possibly because I already had some experience with mixed media. At the moment, I'm really having fun with these watercolour pencils. The mixed media paper I used for this painting is by Strathmore brand and it was a gift from a blogging buddy Natalia  from the in the writer's closet blog. I use this paper for all kind of art projects, from landscapes to fashion illustration and I always got great results with it. When it comes to my watercolour pencils, the two seem to get along just fine. Now, your typical mixed media paper isn't the most ideal choice for a wet watercolour painting, but since I didn't use that much water on this one, the result was pretty good and anyhow this paper seems to be able to take watercolour well enough. Most of paintings I made recently were made with this mixed media paper. Anyhow, what I did here was to draw a sketch with a pencil, first a very basic outline and then I filled the details. I took the time with the application of water, adding more and more of it slowly. The amount of water I added wasn't excessive, as this was not indented as a wet watercolour painting. When you add water to a watercolour pencil drawing, it starts to dissolve and melt in the water. It is up to you to decide how soft you want it to be. Had I wanted it to be very soft, I would have added more water, this way I have just made the lines softer. When it comes to painting the sea, I did put in some effort. Painting the waves is still a bit of a challenge for me, there is whole technique to it, one that I'm not sure I have completely mastered but at least I'm working on it. 


I'm not one hundred percent happy with this painting, some of the dimensions seem a bit off to me, but I think I did a pretty good job with the time I had at the disposal and that time was extremely limited. Despite the popular belief, people who do art (whether as an art or as a hobby) don't have more time on their hands then most, they have to prioritize just like anyone else. Sometimes it makes me cringe to know I could have done a better job if I only had more time, but I know that being limited by time can also be good for developing one's skill because it shows you where your weak spots are. My view is that when it comes to art, the more you do it, the more you have desire to do it so it makes sense to do it as much as you can, even when you're pressed for time. It is not a general rule, but sometimes it is good not to be a perfectionist. You know, just do it and that sort of attitude. Typically it does pay off to keep trying, practicing and working on our art skills. Not every painting has to be perfect. Besides, you have to keep going or you risk to loose whatever art skills you have acquired with years. In art, we often only get better with regular practice. It might not sound terribly romantic, but I found it to be true. It pays off to keep working on new stuff even if you're not happy with everything you do because sometimes that is how you get ideas and inspiration.

 This painting was actually painted with a reference. I don't have a specific photograph I used as a reference because I used a photograph somebody send to me, but I do have some photographs of Torac bay that I took myself and naturally you're welcome to have another look at the place that inspired me. You can also see more of this place by visiting my other recent island Hvar themed posts here, here, here and here.



ORIGINAL DIMENSIONS OF THIS PAINTING: 9 inches x 12 inches (22.9 x 30.5 cm), weight: 90 lb (190 g/m2)
MEDIA USED: STRATHMORE MIXED MEDIA PAPER AND STREADLER WATERCOLOUR PENCILS
Thank you for reading and visiting. Do you agree that this island paradise is a pretty good choice for a last minute summer destination? Have a lovely Sunday everyone!

Comments

  1. I actually adore this painting Ivana...in fact, it's much more interesting than your inspiration photo!! The colors of the water are amazing!!
    XOXO
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apartments are so much better for vacation. I like to be able to make coffee and breakfast before heading out in the morning. Your island Hvar painting is beautiful and dreamy! I love it on the mug for fantasizing about vacation. The colors of the watercolor pencils are perfect for this subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Val! I'm the same way, give me the freedom to choose when I get up and what I will have for breakfast and I'm one happy girl.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, the painting is beautiful, thanks for sharing this.
    http://www.thestylegalaxy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your casual summer outfit and you are so talented with your art - I really like the water colour you made, it's beautiful! :) the coast sounds and looks like such a nice place for a holiday :)

    Hope that you are having a great weekend! :)


    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful painting,
    The lake looks fantastic from the apartment window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a sea, not a lake this time, albeit I must admit that it being so crystal clear does make it look like a lake:).... thank you :)

      Delete
  7. This painting is very beautiful! It made me smile... so peaceful and makes me daydream of a vacay.

    www.fashionradi.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your painting is so beautiful Ivana, and I love your outift!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ah.. this is super nice!
    https://sepatuholig.blogspot.com/
    IG @gracenjio

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Your drawings look incredible! The print on the t-shirt and mug looks so cool! You have real talent!
    And the place is very beautiful!
    http://www.recklessdiary.ru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you dear! I'm happy you like both the drawing and the prints.

      Delete
  11. Thanks a lot :D

    wooow, so amazing!

    NEW OUTFIT POST | IN SEARCH OF A NEW DIRECTION!
    InstagramFacebook Official PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bellissimo quel disegno e... che vista da quella finestra!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself

    ReplyDelete
  13. S obzirom da ja nisam neki talenat sa slikanje, oduševljena sam slikom koju si naslikala i meni izgleda jako moćno. Hvar mi djeluje kao predivno mjesto i definitivno bih ga nekad posjetila. Super post.❤️

    Sweet-dreams-14.blogspot.com -novi post

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Ivana, I do agree that this paradise island is a good last minute summer vacation spot - and in general a dream to visit! Thanks for sharing all the wonderful pictures - the view out of the window is amazing and you look beautiful in your holiday look.
    And for sure I love also this art and it was so lovely you gave the painting to your parents. I think you can be satisfied with the result but as I'm not an artist I think if one judges the own art this is different. I love everything of this art and I can understand that it is challenging for artists to find the time to create art as I really believe this is absolutely time-consuming.
    Thanks for sharing and looking forward to your posts about your last visit in Hvar in July!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will prepare those posts and publish them soon enough I hope.

      Delete
  15. Dearest Ivana,
    you look very pretty and relaxed in your holiday outfit - and the beautiful surroundings of the island Hvar obviously inspired you. Your picture has become great! Water, boats, islands always look very idyllic :-)
    Hugs and a very happy new week!
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2019/07/strandfarben-blogjubilaum-und-ein-paar.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Son muy bonitos estos lugares! Estupendo post! Me encantaría verte pronto por mi blog! Feliz día precios@! ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful place!!
    I loved your illustrations and your look is great! :)

    https://www.heyimwiththeband.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ivanaaaa ma quanto è bello questo dipintoooo, uno dei miei preferiti, starebbe benissimo in una galleria d'arte!
    Don't Call Me Fashion Blogger
    Facebook
    Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks and sounds like a perfect place for a holiday, and I'm not at all surprised it has inspired you to paint. I love the water colour painting you've created, which captures the vibe of the place perfectly. Have a lovely week, Ivana xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a beautiful place! Loved your pictures.
    Adi xx | www.fancycorrectitude.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I love the detail you've added to the boat; a great 3D effect that I could neeeeever manage when it came to art haha. I love seeing your illustrations Ivana!

    aglassofice.com x

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG Hvar seems to be a very beautiful place my dear. I like so much your painting, so stunning colors- you are so talented dear. I am going to Croatia for couple of days in September- I cant wait xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Meraviglioso questo dipinto e tu sempre più bella!

    https://nettaredimiele.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Se te ve preciosa y el dibujo es perfecto! Felicidades por tu trabajo! Espero verte pronto por mi blog! Feliz día! ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your painting is so beautiful, in particular that boat.
    I feel I can wherever I want to go with the boat, and I really agree your opinion about art.
    Love your tank top, too<3

    akiko

    ReplyDelete
  26. Adorei o desenho!

    https://estacaolilas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. You captured this special place so beautifully!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  28. Excellent post (as always)!Thank you very much :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think you did a great job with this painting even though you're not that satisfied with it. We're often our own harshest critics aren't we? You've done well to capture the seascape scene as well as the serenity of the setting especially since you used a photograph. Torac Bay looks like such an idyllic and peaceful vacation spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rowena. Yes, we are often our own harshest critic.

      Delete
  30. hello Ivana
    What a wonderful inspiration you had on this island !! I also enjoyed visiting the Portuguese islands Madeira and Azores but maybe just visit for next year !!
    xoxo

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a dreamy place, so beautiful and I'm amaze to see how beautifully you have painted that scene. I hope you are enjoying your holidays at this beautiful spot.
    Have a pleasant day.
    http://www.rakhshanda-chamberofbeauty.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Another gorgeous painting! Boats are so inspiring to look at and to paint, and the scenery out of your window is just a marvel! Such clear water...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

The heart of a woman (an outfit post and a book recommendation / Srce žene (odjevna objava i preporuka knjige)

PLUS 30 WAYS TO WEAR A BABY BLUE DRESS AND LEOPARD HEELS (OUTFIT POST, MOSTAR)

OIL PASTELS VS. WATERCOLOUR PENCILS (SPLIT, FIRULE BEACH)

Sights to see, places to visit / Znamenitosti za vidjeti, mjesta za posjetiti -----Goranci

Fashion Illustration Friday: Inspired by Colours of Autum

THE ISLAND OF THE MISSING TREES BY ELIF SHAFAK (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION)

What To See and Do in Hutovo Blato Nature Park in Summer? Exploring Bosnia and Herzegovina's Hidden Gems #1

Metković (outfit post/ odjevna objava)

Inspired by...Nadahnuta sa...