WATERCOLOUR PAINTING OF CHURCH OF SAINT GEORGE (VILLAGE GDINJ, ISLAND HVAR)

Today I'll share with you a new painting of mine. The subject of this painting is a church of saint George in Gdinj. This church dates back to the sixteen century and it is build in the Renaissance-Baroque style. It is often called the old church by the residents of Gdinj village (located on island Hvar). There is another church in Gdinj village, the one we call the new church, a fact that sometimes makes me giggle because 'the new church' is more than a hundred years old, just not quite old as this one. I'm afraid that sometimes in Croatia we take history for granted, just because we're surrounded by so much of it. I suppose this is true for other European countries as well. It is easy to get spoiled when you're surrounded by so many historical buildings and I feel we Europeans sometimes take them for granted. Being a  history lover, I tend to take notice of historical buildings but it often happens that I miss out on something. It is impossible to keep track of every historical sight and monument, but we can try.:)

 The church of saint George is one of the most significant churches in Gdinj village. It is currently being restored. This painting was a gift for my grandmother and I used one of her vintage postcards.  So, I did use a reference to paint this one. The reference photograph is (as you perhaps can guess from the image bellow) a historical black and white photograph. I had to rely on my imagination to fill in the colours. Not a difficult task, as I do know this area very well. At present day, the area around this church looks slightly different but it wasn't hard imagining the colours. I could also questioned my grandmother to make sure I got all the details right. All in all, I'm happy I thought of painting this church. What better gift for a resident of this village than a painting of its most valuable building? I've actually never been inside this church, but only because it was closed for year (waiting for the restoration). I did see it from the outside many a times and I do look forward seeing it from the inside (once it gets restored). I saw paintings of the inside painted by Tatjana Radovanić. so I have a general idea of what it looks like. In any case, I really enjoyed painting this beautiful historical church dating back to sixteen century.

PAINTING WITH WATERCOLOURS PENCILS- THE CHURCH OF SAINT GEORGE
If you remember this post, then you will know that earlier this month I visited island Hvar again. This time I spend the majority of time with my grandmother in her main home. I managed to get some painting done as well. You had the chance to see some of those paintings here. Like those paintings, this painting of church of saint George was painted with watercolour pencils. The process was the same. I started by sketching the church. So, basically this art started as a drawing and ended up as a painting, giving it a bit of mixed media feel. When I finished the drawing, I liked it so much I wasn't sure I wanted to apply water to it, but I decided to risk it and I'm glad I did. The final painting turned out lovely and I'm pretty happy with it. Working with watercolour pencils has been an interesting experience so far. 

I'm also going to share some photographs of my grandmother's and our neighbour's home. I just love this kind of architecture. Stone houses are always so beautiful and historical ones especially so. Gdinj village is quite unique in the sense that it is composed of many smaller villages. At the present, only two of those smaller villages are inhabited: Visoka and Dugi Dolac. My grandmother lives in Visoka. Most tourists that stay in Gdinj stay in its bays where most of the apartments are available for rent in the summer. In the village itself, there aren't any houses available for rent here (there is a hostel, though) but I have a feeling that might change some day. Not everyone likes to vacation in the immediate vicinity of the sea, some people like the peace and quiet you can find in these island villages that are located a bit further away from the sea. As I explained, the bays are actually also part of Gdinj village, but when I speak of the village I mostly mean the part of it that is a bit away from the sea, not the bays themselves.  The thing is that I love this part of the village as well. You may expect more posts about it.  I'll also link up a few of my older posts about Gdinj so you can have a look right now if you don't feel like waiting:
GDINJ VILLAGE AND DIY NECKLACE
THE PAINTING OF GDINJ AND THE OUTFIT OF THE DAY

GDINJ, ISLAND HVAR 
GDINJ VILLAGE (VISOKA), ISLAND HVAR, CROATIA



A lovely family of skylarks made their nest under the terrace of my grandmother's home. There is even one more family of skylarks inside of her home. Skylarks are unique in the sense they actually like the company of humans and will build their homes close to them. Do you like skylarks? Speaking of adorable animals, I also took a photograph of a neighbour's tomcat, he really is a doll. I used to have a tomcat that looked a lot like him when I was a kid, I brought it to Hvar from Split. I wonder whether it is possible that he might be one of its descendants. You never know. 


This painting isn't available for sale as it was a gift, but you can find prints (and other stuff) in my Redbubble shop.  Thank you for reading and visiting!

Comments

  1. Hi Ivana,
    I loved your painting. It was really beautiful.
    So cute this cat and the bird.
    Inventando com a Mamãe / Instagram  / Facebook


    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you shared this all with us Ivana. Especially the skylarks. I didn't know much about them.
    You do have such amazing history in the country. It goes to show how new the USA really is.
    XOXO
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodie! I'm glad you liked it. USA has some really cool historical buildings too, there are quite a few that I would like to visit.

      Delete
  3. That is the cutest cat! :)

    You did a great job with your illustration too, what a nice building to paint! :)

    Hope that you are having a lovely week :)


    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muy bonito todo! El dibujo espectacular! 👏👏👏
    Espero verte pronto por mi blog! Feliz día! ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ma che bello quel villaggio, sembra così tranqullo e rilassante, con tutti i suoi piccoli abitanti a farti compagnia! Sono adorabili le foto delle rondini e dei gattini!
    Super bello il tuo disegno, Ivana! Mi piacciono tantissimo i colori!
    E super carina tut nelle foto! :)
    Baci!
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful drawings dear I like also the pics..this place is so peaceful
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot :D

    amazing post my friend

    NEW TIPS POST | SUMMER HAIR, WE CARE!
    InstagramFacebook Official PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so much fun, the photo of her carrying a basket on her head should be on the wall. I like the facial expression
    New post:
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2019/07/so-you-want-to-get-married.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always in awe of your art! Beautiful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww that little kitty cat, and the tiny bird! You share some of the most tranquil and beautiful scenes of nature on your blog Ivana. It looks particularly special in summer!!

    aglassofice.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't the cat the cuttest? And so cuddly. I must have cuddled him for an hour:)

      Delete
  11. What a pretty little place! Being creative is certainly something I love doing in my free days <3

    LackaDaisy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, creative projects are my favourite thing to do when I have some free time.

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful place! Your drawing is so special, one can notice by looking at the pictures. Thank you for sharing with us the magic of your art, your style and this marvelous town :)

    Lindifique

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing painting!
    I love your style and all the photo series are so wonderful.
    This village seems a lovely places to live in.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the painting. I need to visit. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This painting is absolutely gorgeous, I love the tones that you've used in it. You always seem to find the most beautiful places - I have never even heard of Gdinj but it seems lovely (and the church itself is stunning!). The village looks absolutely beautiful and like such a nice place to live.

    Have a great weekend :)
    Amy x Wandering Everywhere

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your designs and looks are always very good!
    But this time the kitten photo won my heart, I love cats! ♥

    https://www.heyimwiththeband.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  17. So beautiful, babe- you did a great job on this painting! And I just love that little bird- so cute!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  18. I completely agree with you that in Croatia we take history for granted because we surrounded with so many beautiful and old architectual buildings. Church are always the most important and I like to visit and watch old churches because I always think that building can talk how many interesting stories it will said. Paint is gorgeous, I really like combination of colors.

    New Post - http://www.exclusivebeautydiary.com/2019/07/beauty-of-words_31.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful place you have taken us too, Ivana. Your grandmother's village has such an enchanting, timeless atmosphere. It is indeed true that we need to value our history and historic buildings more and that in Europe we tend to take these things for granted. Especially one's own country and city. We also tend to forget and neglect its natural beauty. Your painting of the church is very evocative and has a timeless appeal as well. I'm sure your grandmother will treasure it forever! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes we do tend to forget both the natural and historical beauty our countries can offer.

      Delete
  20. I follow you on gfc 715 :)

    https://insandfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. really nice post dear :) I like to read your blog :)

    https://bubasworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are a talented artist Ivana. Glad you used water color pencils to paint the church of saint George too. It looks so vibrant with the mixed media. Thank you for sharing photos of your grandmother and your neighborhood. It looks so beautiful. I love the stone houses which I am sure carry of interesting stories and history. I can picture myself relaxing under those grape vines.

    Xx
    Nikki
    www.nikkilivinglife.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  23. The painting came out beautiful. What a wonderful gift for your grandmother. It's really meaning too since it depicts a church which has so much amazing history and is so significant to Gdinj village. That is funny that the other church which you refer to as the new church is hundreds of years old. It must be cool to be able visit places with so much history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rowena. She really liked the gift.

      Delete
  24. The watercolor painting looks beautiful! You did a great job at picking the colors. And the photo of the bird is so cute!

    x Kara | http://karascloset.net

    ReplyDelete
  25. Also love this type of architecture and I love your drawing! I love how your reference for it was a black and white photo and you filled in the colors yourself from memory.

    Kathrin | Polar Bear Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I guess it was more fun that way because I had the freedom of choosing colours.

      Delete
  26. That's a very lovely watercolor painting! I love the texture on the greenery.

    Mai
    ✰ maidoesthings.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a restful view of your beautiful Summer, dear friend! It is like taking a little vacay... I love your painting of the church, love that photo with a basket on your head, and your outfits are stunning! Much love!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

The heart of a woman (an outfit post and a book recommendation / Srce žene (odjevna objava i preporuka knjige)

PLUS 30 WAYS TO WEAR A BABY BLUE DRESS AND LEOPARD HEELS (OUTFIT POST, MOSTAR)

Sights to see, places to visit / Znamenitosti za vidjeti, mjesta za posjetiti -----Goranci

THE ISLAND OF THE MISSING TREES BY ELIF SHAFAK (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION)

Fashion Illustration Friday: Inspired by Colours of Autum

Island Hvar inspired this necklace (outfit post)/ Otok Hvar je nadahnuće za ovu ogrlicu (odjevna kombinacija)

Not that pink dress again (outfit post) Ne ponovo ta roza haljina ( odjevna objava)

Lake Mostar (revisited) / Mostarsko jezero (ponovni posjet).

OZZ STUDENTS' FASHION SHOW, MENTOR FASHION DESIGNER STANKA ZOVKO (MOSTAR INTERNATIONAL FAIR)