A STRIPED ROMPER AND A CAPER FLOWER (BAY TORAC, ISLAND HVAR)

Hello, dear readers. Happy Monday (and happy start of a new month)! For the first post of June, I decided to return to bay Torac, island Hvar so that I can talk beach wear with you. What to wear for a day at the beach? My answer to that question is pretty simple: go for something practical. Typically I go for one piece clothing items (think dresses/ tunics and  rompers/jumpsuits) because they are easier to slip on and off. A pareo is also a lovely choice, but that one is kind of obvious, isn't it? Anyhow, I've told you that one of the first things I packed for my island Hvar vacation was a yellow jumpsuit. What else did I pack? Well, besides a few printed dresses (that are my top summer essential), I also packed a striped romper. I'm certainly glad I did, for it was my 'go to' beach outfit. Fortunately, I'm getting better at packing (I used to be the worst). The romper isn't new, I bought it a few years ago (you might have already seen me wear it here and here) and it's from a small Croatian brand Modain. As you know I'm all for sustainability and saying no to fast fashion by doing what you can (for example by supporting small brands and wearing what you've already got).  Basically, today I'm going to  talk about two things: a striped beach outfit and a lovely capparis spinosa bush (scroll down to find out what I mean by that). 


 
THE MOST BEAUTIFUL EUROPEAN FLOWER- CAPPARIS SPINOSA OR SIMPLY THE CAPER BUSH
 While I was visiting my family in bay Torac (island Hvar, Croatia) I took the opportunity to take photographs with the flower that signifies summer for me. You see, this huge caper bush has been here for as long as I can remember. Are you familiar with the caper bush? My mother told me that the caper bush (latin name capparis spinosa) was voted the most beautiful European flower. I'm not sure does it still hold that title (who organizes that contest, I wonder?) but for me it is certainly one of the most beautiful European flowers. Calling it the most beautiful European flower seems about right. Its delicate beauty is in sharp contrast with the conditions the caper bush grows in. You see this plant thrives growing on a rocky terrain, often with no visible earth  to speak of, it just spreads itself over the stones and amazes with its stunning green leaves and magnificent flowers. Capparis spinosa is endemic to Mediterranean (i.e grows here) but it is uncertain whether it is indigenous to Mediterranean is uncertain (i.e it may not have originated here, the experts are still doing their research it seems). In addition, some experts aren't sure whether it is a single spices as there are quite a few variations. What is sure is that it is a beautiful perennial plant and one worth noticing. 

THE EDIBLE BUDS EVERYONE IN MEDITERRANEAN IS CRAZY ABOUT
 Our talk doesn't stop at flowers, for Capparis spinosa is famous for more than its beautiful flowers. In fact, the caper bush is primarily known for its edible buds (knows as capers). They are supposedly really healthy too! This plant grows in all of the Mediterranean region. In Croatia (as far as I know), the caper bush grows only in wild (mostly near the sea). I don't have enough botanical knowledge to tell you whether the caper bush in Croatia is significantly different from other capers in Mediterranean or how many subspecies there actually are. I've been eating capers since as far as I can remember, but only from this particular plant you can see. It is definitely a part of our cuisine and culture, as seems the case with other Mediterranean cultures. People typically pick the buds and pickle them, but as to possible differences in preparation I can't tell before doing some research. I can share my recipe in case someone is interested. You can also buy capers in stores, but  I don't know if it is the same kind as the one you an see here. What I do know is that people in Croatia don't really plant it and everyone says that it is almost impossible. I know that in some Mediterranean countries the caper bush are cultivated and grown for sale, but I'm not sure is the wild variant of it or some kind of hybrid. If you know, feel free to enlighten me. If you see the caper bush while in Mediterranean and decide to pick and pickle its buds, please take care not to damage it. Pick the buds if you will (the new ones will grow, that's no a big deal) just be careful not to damage the roots or the bush itself. While doing some caper research on wikipedia, I found out that there are supposedly poisons flowers that look similar (I have never seen them myself, I don't think we have them here) so it might be good to do some research before venturing to harvest a wild caper plant.


  A ROMPER FOR A BEACH DAY (BAY TORAC, ISLAND HVAR)
Enough talk about this plant for day (isn't it fascinating. though?), let's say a few more words about this beach styling. I mostly wear this romper for beach. I feel this romper is a bit too short for every day, I don't think I would feel comfortable wearing it in the city. When I don't wear it to beach, I typically layer this striped romper by wearing a skirt over it or something of the sort. Rompers are great items to pack for a summer vacation because they are so easy to style and they don't take much space (just like summer dresses, really packing is easier in summer). For a completely casual and relaxed vibe, I styled this romper with white slips ons but it would be easy to dress it up. The six days I spent on island Hvar were mostly spent actively but didn't include much city or night life (basically just hanging around in Gdinj, hiking around, swimming and picking capar buds) so I didn't have the need to dress up. I won't talk much abut Torac bay itself much, because I have blogged about it so many times. Instead, I will leave you with two links to my older posts, feel free to check them out if you already haven't:


What do you think about my outfit? What do you think about bay Torac? Here is a link to one of the agencies that rents the summer houses in Torac if you want to check for vacancies and availability (not sure there are many vacancies this time of year, but you can always try). If you don't want to go through the agency but rather book with locals, I can inquire about the numbers but I can't promise you they'll have free accommodation in Gdinj's bays right now, because the tourist season is already in the fool swing. Naturally, private accommodation isn't the only option and there are many hotels on island Hvar. You can also visit these bays without staying here. I definitely do recommend visiting island Hvar, it's such a dreamy place.  That would be all for day. Thanks for visiting and commenting.


Comments

  1. Sei troppo carina in questo look marinariere e l'isola mi piace sempre di più!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Non lo sapevo che la pianta del cappero facesse questi bellissimi fiori!!!! Stupendi! E bellissimo il tuo completo a righe!
    Don't Call Me Fashion Blogger
    Facebook
    Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy July Ivana! The more you travel, the easier is becomes to pack efficiently, right? The caper bush flower is so pretty. It amaze me all the flowers that nature has created. This is a flower I have not seen before. I have eaten capers. Not my favorite, but I gave them a try. They tend to be in dishes on Italian menus here. The romper is really cute. Perfect for summer vacations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, they are common in the Mediterranean dishes and quite common in Italian ones I think.

      Delete
  4. I just purchased a striped romper. I haven't worn it yet, but I love seeing yours with the white sandals. I'll have to copy you soon!!
    XOOX
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ivana
    That flower is really beautiful but I nerver saw it in Portugal!!
    Your romper is really cute, I love stripped itens they are so fun!!
    Hope you had a great vacations!!
    xoxo

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely romper. And again such lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bay Torac looks amazing through your photos. Beautiful place for a nice holiday! you look amazing as always, nice romper xx

    Elegant Duchess xx
    https://www.elegantduchess.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your striped romper is so cute!! I love wearing rompers and dresses to the beach or pool too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Post je odličan. Kombinezon mi se jako dopada i praktican je za neki odlazak na plažu ili sl. A sto se tice ovog mjesta, djeluje mi prelijepo i imam želju da ga nekad posjetim. Super post.❤️

    sweet-dreams-14.blogspot.com - moj blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, definitely don't pick the poisonous ones. So pretty. Loved your outfit, lovely :)

    https://www.chicnpink.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was surprised to read about the poisonous ones, I didn't know they existed.

      Delete
  11. Reading all your posts recently, it makes me want to go somewhere near a body of water! The sights are so beautiful and looks so relaxing! Your romper is so cute and is a perfect addition to add to your luggage when travelling.

    xo, Maria
    https://www.miamiamine.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love spending time by water, it is one of the most relaxing things to do for me!

      Delete
  12. Lovely post dear! Amazing landscapes! Have a great week too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks a lot for all of your words <3 you are amazing! :D

    you look absolutelly fantastic my friend!!

    NEW REVIEW POST | HELLO CURLY HAIR!! :O
    InstagramFacebook Official PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG this flowers look amazing and they are so pretty. I will be in Croatia in September so maybe I will be have a chance to see them. Awesome pictures my dear xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much. I hope you will enjoy Croatia.

      Delete
  15. that's a very cute romper, i need something like that to my beach trip.

    JULIE ANN LOZADA BLOG
    INSTAGRAM: @julieann_lozada

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving your striped romper darling you look amazing!


    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. le righe sono il must have di ogni estate, belle foto.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

SPRING IN MOSTAR CITY: A VINTAGE PURPLE BLAZER PAIRED WITH A FLORAL DRESS

SPRING IN SPLIT : 3 OUTFITS, ONE WORN FOR AN ART EXHIBITION

Island Hvar inspired this necklace (outfit post)/ Otok Hvar je nadahnuće za ovu ogrlicu (odjevna kombinacija)

Let there be colour! (outfit post) / Neka bude boja (odjevna kombinacija)

Sights to see, places to visit / Znamenitosti za vidjeti, mjesta za posjetiti -----Goranci

10 STYLE LESSONS LEARNED FROM MALENA/ MONICA BELLUCCI

VISIT THE MAGNIFICENT MOUNTAIN LAKE BLIDINJE WITH ME!

Sights to see, places to visit (Ston, Croatia) / Znamenitosti za vidjeti, mjesta za posjetiti ( Ston, Hrvatska)

PLUS 30 WAYS TO WEAR A BABY BLUE DRESS AND LEOPARD HEELS (OUTFIT POST, MOSTAR)