A PROVINCIAL ROMANCE, (ROMANS PROWINCJONALNY) BY KORNEL FILIPOWICZ (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION)

Hello! In this post I'll share a book review and an outfit/location post with you. So, basically some of my favourite subjects to blog about: clothes (fashion), places (travel) and books (literature).  I actually wore this outfit today, these photographs were taken (by my husband) this afternoon. We were blessed with wonderfully sunny and warm weather. As for the book, I'll review A Provincial Romance or A Romance of Provinces (1960) by Korel Filipowicz (1913- 1990). This was my first book by this Polish author. I came across an old edition at my home some time ago. I finished reading this micronovel  pretty quickly. I was immediately drawn to the story and I loved the way it was written.  It's always great to discover a new author, someone we haven't read before be it a historical or contemporary author- it doesn't matter, both can be new to us personally). As always, I'm happy I can share this literary find with you. 

Zdravo! U ovoj ću objavi s vama podijeliti ogled knjige, odjevnu kombinaciju te mjesto.   Dakle, u biti neke od mojih omiljenih tema na blogu: odjeća (moda), mjesta (putovanja) i knjige (književnost). Zapravo sam danas nosila ovu odjevnu kombinaciju, fotografije su snimljene poslijepodne, a kao što vidite bili smo blagoslovljeni divnim i sunčanim vremenm. Što se tiče knjige, napisala sam kraći ogled za roman Provincijska ljubav (1960) Korela Filipowicza (1913-1990) koji ću sa vama uskoro i podijeliti. Provincijska ljubav je bila moja prva knjiga ovog poljskog autora. Prije nekog vremena sam kod kuće naišla na ovo staro izdanje. Vrlo brzo sam završila čitanje ovog mikroromana. Odmah me privukla priča i svidio mi se način na koji je napisana. Uvijek je lijepo otkriti novog pisca za sebe, bez obzira je li pripada prošlosti ili je naš suvremenik. Kao i uvijek, sretna sam što  mogu  ovaj književni pronalazak podijeliti s vama.
#modaodaradosti #moda #book #bookreview #outfit #fashion#modaodaradosti
#modaodaradosti



A PROVINCIAL ROMANCE, A MICRONOVEL BY KORNEL FILIPOWICZ  5/5

I would describe this micronovel as a little masterpiece! Kornel Filipowicz was apparently best known for his short stories and so called 'micronovels'. While I was reading, I wasn't sure is A Provincial Romance a story of a short novel. A Provincial Love was often referred to (in the edition I found and read) as a micronovel and I think that the best way to describe it. It's an excellent novel in  a short form!

Having read Romans prowincjonalny (A Provincial Love) I can certainly see why Kornel Filipowicz was considered to be a master of short form. This book was an enjoyable but at the same time touching read that kept me interested. The author conveyed the setting and the atmosphere of the province wonderfully. Moreover, Filipowicz created memorable and interesting characters. In particular, the psychological portrayal of the female protagonist was done exceptionally well. Seeing that this female protagonist 'carries the story' on her shoulders, that aspect was quite important. 

The story is (as the title implies) about provincial love. A famous poet comes into a small provincial town and courts a young woman. The theme is very familiar, if not even cliche, but the author manages to make it fresh and unique by breathing life into the female protagonist. Indeed, had not the portrayal of the main female character Elzibieta been so successful, A Provincial Romance wouldn't have been such a memorable book. Fortunately, Elzibieta is so well portrayed.

Elzibieta is a young and intelligent twenty four year old who teaches piano for a living and takes cares of her invalid (and somewhat tyrannical ) mother. Elzibeta's mother wants to marry her daughter to a sensible engineer. Elzibieta doesn't have a romantic interest in this man. When an acclaimed writer (poet) arrives to their little provincial town, he decides to stay a bit longer and he wants Elzibeta to be his guide.  

The style of writing could be describes as realist, but there is something unique about it, little touches that seem to be particular to this Polish writer. In many ways, the Filipowicz's writing reminded me of Maupassant and Chekhov, both masters of the short form. That being said, Filipowicz seems to have his own writing style, ironic and tender at the same time.

This was my first book by this author but it won't be my last. I read it in translation, I don't speak Polish. I stumbled across a vintage copy of it my home, it must have been published a long time ago (give me a second to check and yes the date of publishing is 1966). I suppose that an English translation exists. Anyhow, the edition I read  had another 'micronovel' by Filipowicz that I enjoyed a lot. I will review that one some other time, though. In the meantime, I can definitely recommend this writer. 
#moda #book #bookreview #outfit #fashion


PROVICIONALNA LJUBAV, MIKROROMAN KORNELA FILIPOWICZA 5/5

Opisala bih ovaj mikroroman kao malo remek djelo! Kornel Filipowicz je bio najpoznatiji po svojim kratkim pričama i takozvanim 'mikroromanima'. Dok sam čitala, nisam bio sigurma je li Provincijska ljubav priča ili kratki roman. Često  se (u izdanju koje sami pročitala) ova priča opisivala kao mikroroman i mislim da je to najbolji naziv za nju. Izvrstan je roman u kratkoj formi!

Čitajući Romans prowincjonalny (Provincijska ljubav) svakako mogu vidjeti zašto se Kornel Filipowicza smatra majstorom kratke forme. Ova knjiga je bila ugodna za čitanje, ali u isto vrijeme dirljiva, a sama priča me zainteresirala. Filipowicz je predivno prenio ambijent i atmosferu provincije. Štoviše, Filipowicz je stvorio nezaboravne i zanimljive likove. Konkretno, psihološki portret protagonistice odrađen je iznimno dobro. S obzirom da ova protagonistica 'nosi priču' na svojim leđima, taj je aspekt bio vrlo važan.

Priča je (kao što i naslov govori) o provincijalnoj ljubavi. Poznati pjesnik dolazi u mali provincijski grad i udvara se mladoj ženi. Tema je vrlo poznata, ako ne čak i klišejska, ali Filipowicz ju uspijeva učiniti svježom i jedinstvenom udahnuvši život protagonistici. Doista, da portret glavne ženske junakinje Elzibiete nije bio tako uspješan, Provincijska ljubav ne bi bila tako nezaboravna knjiga. Na sreću, Elzibieta je tako iznimno dobro prikazana.

Elzibieta je mlada i inteligentna dvadesetčetverogodišnjakinja koja za život podučava klavir i brine se o svojoj invalidnoj (i pomalo tiranskoj) majci. Elzibetina majka želi svoju kćer udati za razumnog inženjera. Elzibieta ne gaji romantične sjećaje za ovog muškarca. Kada poznati pisac (pjesnik) stigne u njihov mali provincijski gradić, odlučuje ostati još malo i želi da mu Elzibeta bude vodič.

Stil pisanja bi se mogao opisati kao realistički, ali postoji nešto jedinstveno u njemu, mali detalji koji se čine posebnim za ovog poljskog pisca. U mnogočemu me pisanje Filipovicza podsjetilo na Maupassanta i Čehova, dvojicu majstora kratke forme. S obzirom na to, čini se da Filipowicz ima svoj stil pisanja, ironičan i nježan u isto vrijeme.

Ovo je bila moja prva knjiga ovog autora, ali neće biti posljednja. Pročitah ju u prijevodu, ne znam poljski, tko zna možda jednog dana i naučim pa pročitam u originalu. Naišla sam na stari primjerak kod kuće, mora da je davno objavljen (dajte mi sekundu da provjerim i da, datum objavljivanja je 1966.). U svakom slučaju, izdanje koje pročitah sadržavalo je još jedan Filipowiczov 'mikroroman' u kojem sam jako uživala. Ipak ću o tome neki drugi put. U međuvremenu, ovog pisca svakako mogu preporučiti.

#modaodaradosti #moda #book #bookreview #outfit #fashion

As usual, my outfit is all about sustainable fashion. You know I love shopping my closet. There is, however, one 'new' item in my outfit and that would be my earrings. I'll show you a closer view some other time. 
THE STORY OF MY OUTFIT- HOW I WORE THESE ITEMS BEFORE? 
THE SUSTAINABLE FASHION FILES

THE CAMEL COAT-  Last worn HERESee how I have worn it herehere and here
THE OLIVE BLAZER- HERE, HERE, HERE & HERE
THE BIG TURQUOISE NECKLACE- HERE,   HERE & HERE
THE PURPLE DIY NECKLACE- HERE & HERE
THE BLUE BELT- HERE
THE BLUE JEANS- PLUS 30 WAY TO WEAR THIS PAIR HERE
THE BLUE TURTLENECK- HERE, herehere  here and here
THE CAMEL BOOTS- PLUS 30 WAYS TO WEAR THEM HERE, ALSO HERE & HERE
THE BURGUNDY BAG- HERE, HERE & HERE



THE SUSTAINABLE (AND LOCAL) TRAVEL FILES
I love the idea of local travel and being a tourist in your own city and area. The location for this post is Potoci (Bijelo polje) near Mostar. Bijelo Polje (literally translated White Field) is an area composing of several villages. Surrounded by mountains, this lovely plain is like a green oasis. There are large and small water surfaces to enjoy. Besides river Neretva and lake Mostar, you can see many streams in this area.  That's where this village Potoci (literally translated it means Streams) gets its name. These photographs were taken in the garden of catholic church of The Most Holy Heart of Jesus. We like to visit this garden because it is beautiful and peaceful.  If you check out the links to my previous posts, you'll see that I have been coming back to this place for years.

LINKS TO MY PREVIOUS VISITS- LOCATION: POTOCI, BIJELO POLJE, NEAR MOSTAR 


 Thank you for reading and visiting. Take care.

Comments

  1. I'll have to keep an eye out for this micronovel (I love that term - it's usually "novella" for a short novel), Ivana. I'm totally distracted by your amazing necklace! Wow, what a great piece that is. I hope you have a lovely weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such amazing boots! Lovely necklace too. So glad you had such a warm day. Thanks for the review too. I will have to look into this author. It would be unique to read something from the 60's too. Thanks so much. Thanks so much for your comments, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome browns! You are really rocking the blazer with the boots! Love the braids too.

    Such an interesting review. When I read about courting..I think of the one time I guess I was unexpected courted while staying at my parents while I had been away at college. Although, its kind of a funny story. It started with a blind date and somehow he figured out where I lived and came to visit. My parents fell in love with him, although, I thought it was strange.

    Thanks so much for the review. I am glad you are sharing this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you thought it was strange, I would probably think the same time. It's strange when your parents like somebody for you but you're not sure how you feel about them.

      Delete
  4. Parece un libro interesante, lo llevo anotado Me gusta tu look y el jardín

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looking very nice! Have a great week my friend! 😘😘😘

    ReplyDelete
  6. Predivan post. Bilo je uživanje čitati ga, pogotovo što si tri sjajne teme stavila u jednom tekstu.

    Sweet-dreams-14.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm afraid I've never heard of this author, but as you mentioned it's always great to discover new ones. A micronovel, or novella, is usually a great introduction to a new author.
    You look amazing in those jeans and boots, and the necklace is a real eye-catcher!
    Have a great week, Ivana xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard about him before finding this book either. Possible Filipowicz is not that well known, outside of Poland.

      Delete
  8. These colors really go well with this season. All fit you very well Dear friend. Especially i love boots very much. Looks great and Elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These gardens do indeed look peaceful! The micronovel sounds intriguing- I'd not heard of that author either like others I see have commented. Your outfit is really stylish- I like the green jacket particularly!x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are always amazing in finding such interesting books that I've never heard of elsewhere Ivana.
    And the outfit is divine. The turquoise pops so wonderfully against the dark sweater.
    OOXX
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy quick reads and this book sounds great to me. You look amazing in this outfit! Love your coat and boots!aI enjoy quick reads and this book sounds great to me. You look amazing in this outfit! Love your coat and boots!
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Так стильно! Очень красивый образ получился!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a fan of short stories, a wonderful introduction to a new writer!
    Loving the skinny jeans and antiqued leather boots, you look amazing! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely! Never has being a tourist in one's own town taking on more meaning and probability alike than during these pandemic filled times (at least when we're not in lockdown, that is).

    Long before staycationing and being a tourist in your own backyard were buzzwords, my family was enacting these delightful things as a means to enjoy some downtime without breaking the bank. As an adult on a tight budget, I continue to do the same and really appreciate the closeness that I tend to develop with my town/region as a result of spending so much time chatting, so to speak, with our immediate environment.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    PS: This outfit is such a stellar mix of glam and boho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I do love to mix boho with other styles.

      Delete
  15. Hello
    I like short stories and this book seems to be perfect for me I just don't know if it's translated into Portuguese, I have to investigate! You look really cool with these jeans on, I love your look!
    xoxo

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a bit of a shame, but I don't know this author ... I have to look at the library ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He might also be available online, at least in Polish.

      Delete
  17. Your style is amazing. I donno this one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

Jadrolinija ferry ride, travelling from Split to island Hvar (outfit post)

REPAINTING AND REPAIRING AN OIL ON CANVAS, A PAINTING OF ASSISI ( ITALY)

FASHION ILLUSTRATION FRIDAY:A SUMMER DRESS (STAEDTLER PENCIL WATERCOLOURS)

TIPS FOR A MORE SUSTAINABLE EASTER CELEBRATION

FASHION ILLUSTRATION FRIDAY: LBD AND VINTAGE VIBES

How To Wear Yellow In Summer? + Mostar's panorama + Goranci restaurant

CIRCUS THEMED CREATIVE ARTS & CRAFTS ( DIY ) IDEAS FOR BOTH KIDS & ADULTS

HOW TO STYLE A BROWN FAUX LEATHER COAT?

BOOK REVIEW: MURDER IN THREE ACTS, A NOVEL BY AGATHA CHRISTIE