VISIT BLAGAJ FORTESS WITH ME (BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA)

Hello readers! Today I'm taking you to fortress of medieval king Stjepan Kosaca. This fortress overlooking Blagaj village (near Mostar in Bosnia and Herzegovina) is simply a must visit for lovers of history. This fortress is known under two names: Blagaj fort and Stjepan grad (Stjepan's town). Dating back to 15th century, this gorgeous historical town-fortress is well worth the climb. It is officially protected and listed among national monuments of Bosnia and Herzegovina. 

We visited it earlier this March with some friends. We drove to Blagaj (blogged about it here), asked the locals for directions and went our way up. You can drive up to a certain point, but then you have to climb your way up. It is not a long climb, about half an hour in my estimation. The views while you climb are beautiful but once you enter the fortress, the panorama becomes simply incredible. The panoramic view from the top of the fortress is one of the most beautiful I have seen in my life. 

I'm not including this post into TRAVEL WITH MY ART series because I haven't made a painting of this place yet but I do have a lot of photographs to share. Sure, you could say that photographs are art too, but I made that series with location illustrations in mind. This will be a travel post, but more travel with my photography then with my art. Nevertheless, hopefully these photographs will allow you to visit this place digitally.   I'm also sharing an autoportrait I made with acrylic paints in my sketchbook (both from brand royal talens) but only because colours reminded me of the tartan jacket I was wearing (this mini painting wasn't really inspired by my trip). Anyhow, let's get back to sight-seeing this fortress. 

HOW TO GET TO THE FORTRESS? Once you drive up hill from Blagaj, you'll get to a parking zone of sorts and then you just need to follow the path up. The path is a bit steep but not too much. There were quite a few elderly people and children when we visited (it was a national holiday of some kind) and I didn't notice anyone having difficulties with the climb, so you probably won't have issues either. 



OUT EXPERIENCE VISITING BLAGAJ TOWN- FORTRESS
We weren't the only ones who decided to take advantage of a sunny day and a national holiday to visit this beautiful town- fortress complex but the place wasn't crowded. This fortress is quite large so it could accommodate a larger number of visitors without it getting crowded. In fact, hadn't it been a non-working day, there probably wouldn't have been anyone around. I know that many countries have restricted travel, but keep this place in mind once travelling becomes a possibility again. I'm always up for local travel, so I definitely enjoyed exploring this place. The views on all sides were absolutely mesmerizing and the fortress is in great shape. It is always inspiring to see such a wonderfully preserved fortress. It makes you feel like you have really travelled back in time. I don't think there is any fee for entrance to this fortress, from what I know, the entrance to this fortress is always open. All you need to do is get there ( climb for a bit in the process) and you'll get to explore this wonderful historical site. We enjoyed it all, the climb, the views and exploring the fortress itself. Moreover, it was wonderful observing all the pines and breathing in the fresh air. The curious thing is that there was absolutely no wind at top. I expected the fortress to be windy because it is quite high but there was no wind and it was quite warm.



OTHER MEDIEVAL FORTRESSES WORTH VISITING

Before we wrap this post up, I will link up some of my old travel posts featuring fortresses. First of all, I would recommend Stolac fortress in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It's only a short drive away. There is also a number of lovely fortresses I visited in Croatia (and blogged about) so if that is your cup of tea, visit the posts bellow. 

 STOLAC FORTRESS (BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA) 

KLIS FORTRESS (CROATIA)

FORTICA FORTRESS (CROATIA)

KAMERLENGO FORTRESS (CROATIA) 

STON FORTRESS WALLS (CROATIA)




THE STORY OF MY OUTFIT- All the items in this outfit are old. Once again, I shopped my closet. 

THE TARTAN JACKET- This jacket is from Alpine pro (a Czech) brand. I have it in green as well (see here). In fact, it was because I was so happy with the green one that I bought this one as well. I think I wore it first some time in 2014 (see here). Since there, I wore it a lot. I might do 30 wears with it some day.

THE BLACK DRESS (WORN AS A TOP) I got this black dress in a collab in 2018 (see here). It's a bit short so I typically layer it under skirts. 

THE DENIM SKIRT- I devoted a special post to this denim skirt from Croatia brand Amadeus (see here). 

THE BIKER BOOTS- I wore these boots so many times (see a few ways I wore them here). This pair is so comfortable. A pair of comfy leather boots is high on my list of practical shoe options. I plan to post +30 wears post about these boots soon.


 

As always, thank you for reading and visiting.  Tell me your thoughts. Have a greet week ahead!

Comments

  1. What a wonderful location! I love a fortress! The crenelations (or castellations- I always get them muddled up!) are in super good condition and make me excited and imagine all sorts of old stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hermosa fortaleza gracias por hacérmela conocer. Me gusto tu look y tu cuadro. Te mando un beso

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, the fortress looks beautiful. I love visiting castles/fortresses, and especially ones on a hill with stunning views of the valley below. You look lovely too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really is a spectacular location! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ivana, how you doing? I hope you're enjoying the last bits of the month!

    I love the way you're making us travel with you through your pictures and drawings. And it is so nice to see that you're always carrying a notebook and some drawing tools with you, creativity can surprise you everywhere right?

    I really like this fortress, it reminds me a little bit of a castle in Mallorca named Castell de Bellver. The most stunning part: the views, feels like back in the day they could spot the enemy but setting on top of the tallest tower haha.

    On the other hand I really like your outfit, very stylish but comfortable and happy to see that you're trying the combat boots trend!

    Pablo
    Hey Fungi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing alright, thank you. I will google that castle, it sounds like a great place to visit.

      Delete
  6. Oh wow great photos. No fear of heights haha. I am okay with heights but my partner isn't :-| Great sketch too :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. That fortress is absolutely amazing and the view is more than just spectacular. I felt a bit faint when I saw the photos of you posing on that wall, as I do suffer from vertigo. Kudos to you, though! I'm loving your tartan jacket and your self-portrait, and it's lovely to see your significant other popping up in your blog. I believe he is usually the one behind the camera? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that, vertigo must be hard. Yes, he is usually the one behind the camera.

      Delete
  8. Ooh, that looks like somewhere I would visit! I love a good vista. What gorgeous scenery! I love your plaid jacket and your picture is amazing, Ivana. The eyes...so wistful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing beats a beautiful view. Thank you. It was a quick sketch to practice colour mixing, but it turned alright. The proportions aren't exactly right, but well...can't win them all.

      Delete
  9. What a fabulous place to visit and take photos Ivana!! And it's nice to know that others were out there too...even the older folk!
    It's so inspirational that you shop your closet so much. It's really exactly what I'm discussing this week on my blog!!
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cool! The fortress looks like a hidden gem. And I love that view from all the way up there.
    Hope you have a great day Ivana!

    ReplyDelete
  11. photos are beautiful, glad to this great article lace front wigs with baby hair

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many beautiful landscapes..and to have a castle to see. I am sure it's very inspiring for many art projects. Looking forward to your outfits post too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this. So great to see a castle like this ..up close and personal. A wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

SPRING IN MOSTAR CITY: A VINTAGE PURPLE BLAZER PAIRED WITH A FLORAL DRESS

SPRING IN SPLIT : 3 OUTFITS, ONE WORN FOR AN ART EXHIBITION

WELCOMING SPRING WITH 15 IDEAS TO COMBAT SPRING FATIGUE!

Let there be colour! (outfit post) / Neka bude boja (odjevna kombinacija)

Painting of the day (A Lioness) / Slika dana (Lavica)

21 WAY TO STYLE A MINI FLORAL DRESS (FOR ALL SEASONS)

VISIT THE MAGNIFICENT MOUNTAIN LAKE BLIDINJE WITH ME!

Summertime in Mostar (black and white dress) / Ljeto u Mostaru (crno bijela haljina)

Sights to see, places to visit / Znamenitosti za vidjeti, mjesta za posjetiti -----Goranci