FASHION ILLUSTRATION FRIDAY: MAGENTA COAT

Hello! It's time for another Friday Fashion Illustration post (see the last one here). This time I'll show you a fashion illustration I drew with a reference photograph. My previous post  also featured a fashion illustration made with a reference. Sometimes I find that working with a reference photograph helps to challenge myself a bit. When I wrote about ways to improve your fashion illustration skills, I mentioned that both working with and without reference is important. Anyhow, I still have lots of fashion art to share with you. My shoulder injury is behind me and I've been making lots of art (and uploading it to my Redbubble shop as well). The medium for this illustration is again watercolour pencils (Staedtler brand, not sponsored) on mixed media paper (art talents, again not sponsored). Scroll down to see work in progress photographs as well as another sustainable outfit featuring a vintage red dress my aunt gave me some time ago.

WORK IN PROGRESS PHOTOS - WORKING WITH WATERCOLOUR PENCILS

Bellow you can see the sketching process. As always when working with watercolour pencils, I first sketched the design and then I applied water. I didn't follow the reference in every sense. I also sketched flare jeans that weren't visible on the photograph but I remember that I wore them. When I checked this 2018 post, I saw that I was right. Lately, I've been doing a random illustration challenge. I take one of my photographs, close my eyes and select a random photograph to illustrate. I think this is good practice and it saves me time deciding what to draw. 




OUTFIT OF THE DAY- A VINTAGE RED DRESS PAIRED WITH A MAGENTA COAT

The outfit I illustrated is an old one, but today I wanted to show you another (newer) outfit with this magenta coat. Moreover, this styling also features a beautiful red vintage dress gifted to me by my aunt. When she gave it to me, she told me that she danced many a night in it! I think of her every time I wear it. It's such a fun dress (see how I styled it for warmer weather here). I would love to wear it with a leather jacket. I think that would be a fun combo, what do you think? I like how it looks with this magenta coat because I love clashing colours and a longer coat is always warm (not that I needed additional warmth that day). I wore this outfit for a visit to Čapljina city. Scroll down for more photos and information. 

EQUESTRIAN CLUB VRANAC LOCATED NEXT TO HISTORICAL SITE MOGORJELO

Many don't know that there is an equestrian club located right next to the ancient Roman ruins. Keep that in mind once the travelling restrictions are lifted. We actually visited Mogorjelo and Čapljina to enquire about horse riding options. We will definitely take advantage of this opinion some time in the future. In the meantime, we had a stroll covering some of the area where the horse riding takes place. You can say that we had a taste of the scenery.  We even saw some horses and who knows maybe we'll have a chance to get to know them better some day. 


MOGORJELO, AN  ANCIENT ROMAN VILLA RUSTICA

EXPERIENCE BEAUTIFUL  HISTORICAL RUINS NEAR ČAPLJINA CITY

While we were there, we also visited ruins of an ancient Roman camp and villa. More information about this historical site available in this post of mine. This site once sparked an archeological argument between me and my husband. Based on what we saw there, he was certain that it was a military camp and I insisted that it was a Roman villa. It turned out we were both right (I did some research), so maybe there is an amateur archeologist hiding in both of us.

ČAPLJINA CITY - A SMALL CITY THAT IS ALWAYS LOVELY TO VISIT

Since we were in the area, we also visited Čapljina city. Some of my blog readers will remember this small city from some of my previous posts (for example here and here). It is a very pretty and clean city plus it has some lovely cafes and restaurants. 



Designs available in my Redbubble shop. Thank you for reading and visiting. Have a lovely day. 

Comments

  1. Hello dear Ivana,

    I hope you had a nice week and that you can feel better in the upcoming days, I wish you the best :) And despite that I really see that you're keeping the creative flow and sometimes this can be a therapy, it won' cure the physical pain but I'm sure it is helping you to keep your mind busy and I am glad to see all of these results and find them here and on my IG feed!

    I love the way you use references to create your art, I use a lot of references too and sometimes I mix photos while I illustrate and then I create something new from there, the best way to explore those references is research and go through old pictures maybe ;) Like in this case, I really like that color of the coat, both in the real picture and in the illustration!

    Enjoy the weekend!
    Pablo
    Hey Fungi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment. Art can be tricky because it can worse physical paint, but yes it can also be helpful in many ways- and satisfying. Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm still not sure will I continue with IG, but I'm giving it a try for now.
      Yes, sometimes it is fun to mix photos and illustrations. The results can be quite interesting. I think it's also a good way to 'upcycle' our art. Lately I've been thinking about how I should do more collages with my art.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    I hope you feel better now! I think your art and blog are the best therapy for these dark days in contemporary history!
    I will make a confession I have already feel inspired by you and your illustrations and cropped the photos just like you do with your drawings, I hope you don't mind ahahah !! I enjoyed traveling with you through all these places !!
    xoxo

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm happy you're inspired by this.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful red dress! I like that you were able to layer it up for a colder day too and look forward to seeing how you wear it in summer!

    So good to hear that your shoulder injury is better and you have more time and energy for your art too! :)

    Hope you are enjoying your weekend :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to hear your shoulder is feeling better, Ivana! I enjoy your drawings, and laughed at the ladies frolicking in the fields - I like that sense of humour.

    I would not say that red and magenta "clash" although I'm sure some would! They are both in the red side of the colour wheel, so they blend more in my eyes. You are looking rather Valentine-ish in your seasonal hues!

    How amazing that you have Roman ruins there! I live in an area with little remaining of the original human settlements (the First Nations here were uprooted by European settlers). It's a shameful part of Canada's history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they magenta and red are similar (I learned about it when I learned more about colours), but I think most people see them as clashing, that is probably why I wrote it. You're right to notice that it is not correct to call them clashing (from the colour theory point of view).
      I do enjoy Roman ruins. I grew up playing in them. There are so many of them in Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and this whole region.

      Delete
  5. Uy que lindo lugar, te mando un beso . Adore tu abrigo y el vestido te queda bien. Ten un buen fin de semana

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a wonderful outfit- the coat and dress are beautiful and really suit you,especially with your hair down!
    I love your illustration! You did a really good job.
    I will beback to catch up on more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so interesting style darling
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Back - Such A Gorgeous Location - Enjoy Your Weekend - Stay Strong

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely illustrations. So glad you feel better. Great dress too! Looks like a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful trip! Love the coat and all the inspiration it gave you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really lovely! Great pics from your trip! All the best to a beautiful winter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear that your shoulder injury is a thing of the past.

    I love to see how your illustrations go through different stages. I love the outfit and the illustration too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am happy that your shoulder is feeling better, Ivana The illustrations with your magenta coat are great again. I think the red vintage dress with the patterned tights is incredibly chic and you look like a supermodel in the photos on the Roman ruins :-)
    xxxxx Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the coat and your sketches. Great photos too <3 I am glad you are better now, shoulders take a while to heal and can be brutal :-( And good you have your spark back :-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all the colors in today's outfit. And how you showed the way the illustration came to be.
    OXOX
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. awesome article guys :)
    please follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. Magenta je jedna od mojih omiljenih boja tijekom zimskih mjeseci i jako mi se sviđa tvoj kaput kao i color blocking koji si kreirala outfitom. Fotografije su predivne, kao i ilustracije. Uvijek me oduševi kako vjerno kistom možeš prenijeti fotografiju na platno.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad to hear your shoulder injury has healed. It must have been frustrating not to be able to create art!
    Once again, I'm admiring your talent and it's always interesting to follow you in your creative process and seeing your work in progress.
    I'm a big fan of this magenta and red outfit, which is not clashing at all in my eyes.
    I've often admired your coat but that dress is absolutely fabulous. How lucky to have inherited it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear. I'm very lucky to have this dress, it's absolutely fabulous.

      Delete
  19. Gorgeous outfit and a beautiful illustration! Love your coat, Ivana! I'm glad you have recovered from your shoulder injury. Take care!
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a gorgeous outfit Ivana! Loving the coat! I loved the illustration!
    Wonderful Post! Have a great day!
    Rampdiary | Fineartandyou | Beautyandfashionfreaks

    ReplyDelete
  21. Il colore di questo cappotto è bellissimo, vibrante, luminoso... l'ideale per le giornate fredde e grigie invernali! Le tue illustrazioni meravigliose, come sempre!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself


    My Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  22. Illustration of pretty maroon dress.
    The placement of the illustrated image in front of the building shows your big artistic soul.
    Have a super week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sono contenta di sentire che tu stia meglio, Ivana, so che quando si ha una passione è difficile lasciarla andare, e mi rendo conto quanto possa esser stata dura per te esser combattutta tra la volgia di disegnare e la necessità di riposare.
    Comunque le tue illustrazione mi piacciono sempre molto, soprattutto quando sono un mix di fotografia e illustrazione, rende il tutto unico e più interessante!
    Il magenta poi è un colore bellissimo, ha tutta l'energia dl rosso ma risulta più elegante, e ti dona anche molto a contrasto con i tuoi bellissimi capelli!
    Baci!
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sai che è bello vedere come crei e i vari step creativi, bellissima anche questa illustrazione!
    Don't Call Me Fashion Blogger
    Facebook
    Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love magenta and red together. And the story with your aunt, how cool is this? That is a great coat she gave you and it is wonderful you and your husband get to visit all the wonderful places. I am stuck at home most of the time LOL.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it is good being able to be out and about, we're trying to make the most out of it.

      Delete
  26. I'm so pleased to read that your shoulder is feeling better.
    Your auntie's dress is lovely, the colour looks so good against your dark hair. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW - your outfit is a real blast, dear Ivana! Great color combination of red and magenta - the coat is beautiful and the red dress is a real eye-catcher. Your illustrations and the locations are also wonderful!
    Hugs and best wishes,
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/02/fahrt-mit-der-salzbergbahn-und.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just passing by and wishing you a great week. Stay safe!
    xoxo

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. That coat is such a standout piece on it's own but it really goes to another level when paired with that spectacular red dress! I'm so glad to hear that your shoulder injury has healed and that you're back to creating art again :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

The heart of a woman (an outfit post and a book recommendation / Srce žene (odjevna objava i preporuka knjige)

PLUS 30 WAYS TO WEAR A BABY BLUE DRESS AND LEOPARD HEELS (OUTFIT POST, MOSTAR)

Sights to see, places to visit / Znamenitosti za vidjeti, mjesta za posjetiti -----Goranci

THE ISLAND OF THE MISSING TREES BY ELIF SHAFAK (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION)

Fashion Illustration Friday: Inspired by Colours of Autum

Not that pink dress again (outfit post) Ne ponovo ta roza haljina ( odjevna objava)

Lake Mostar (revisited) / Mostarsko jezero (ponovni posjet).

OZZ STUDENTS' FASHION SHOW, MENTOR FASHION DESIGNER STANKA ZOVKO (MOSTAR INTERNATIONAL FAIR)

THIS MUST BE THE PLACE (BOOK REVIEW AND AN EARLY SPRING OUTFIT)