MIXED MEDIA: WATERCOLOUR AND DIGITAL ART

My last post was my participation in Bloggers Art Gallery . Today on the blog, we have another post about my art. More specifically, it's about digital art. While I was browsing through my old blog posts, I came across some of my old mixed print sketches that I made back in 2013 and 2014. I've been exploring digital art, so I decided to colour these watercolour sketches digitally. How did I do it? I used Paint 3D program to colour them. Do you want to see how it is done? Scroll down to see my art process and work in progress collages. In case anyone is interesting in purchasing any of my art, you can buy most of my illustrations and paintings here: IvanaKada.redbubble.com
MIXED MEDIA PAINTINGS: #WATERCOLOUR #SKETCHES AND #DIGITAL ART
This painting of a blue lady was originally a sketch made with a ballpoint pen on a random piece of paper with some watercolour added. Before I got better (still not perfect) as organizing my time for art, I used to sketch a lot. I'm so glad I did because sketching can be food for our creative mind. Anyhow, I decided to add some colour to this painting.  Above you can see the beginning of the art process. As you can see, the first thing I did was work on the eyes. I wasn't happy with the eyes, I wanted them to be more expressive. I worked on them until I was finally happy. 
ADDING LAYERS OF COLOURS GRADUALLY TO CREATE THE DESIRED EFFECT 
Once I was done with the eyes, then I moved onto skin, lips and  hair. I used various colours for the skin. I wanted to retain the original idea behind the sketch and that was a lady with blue skin (and eyes and hair), so I added more blue around the ages. For skin colouring that followed, I used mostly orange and pink. I keep adding touches of blue to retain that blueness. It was a bit tricky, but I think I pulled it off. The lips were easy to do. I just corrected the shape and coloured them. In my illustrations they were uneven. I didn't correct the nose, just added more colour because the long nose is kind of my style. When it comes to hair, I added different colours such as different shades of blue, red and even purple. I'm pretty happy with how that turned out. The last phase of the process was the background. I wanted the background to look magical, something like an enchanted forest. I'm pretty sure my original inspiration for this sketch was Slavic folklore so that explains it quite nicely. I'm very much fascinated with fairy creatures in Slavic mythology. 
MIXED MEDIA PAINTINGS: #WATERCOLOUR #SKETCHES AND #DIGITAL ART
MIXED MEDIA PAINTINGS: #WATERCOLOUR #SKETCHES AND #DIGITAL ART
This mixed media illustration is available for purchase on plus 70 products, including art prints, posters, stickers, mobile phone cases and even pillows
MIXED MEDIA PAINTINGS: #WATERCOLOUR #SKETCHES AND #DIGITAL ART
MIXED MEDIA PAINTINGS: #WATERCOLOUR #SKETCHES AND #DIGITAL ART
This watercolour sketch is quite old. I didn't do a lot of digital colouring for this one, I just added some colour  here and there, mostly to the wings and the background. I remember that I wanted to sketch someone smiling and that is how this watercolour sketch was made. I believe the inspiration for it was a smiling photograph of Garance Dore. When I saw it, I pondered- why should not I sketch someone smiling? If I remember correctly, the wings were really an afterthough. I wasn't going for anyone in particular, I just watched to paint a smiling lady. I only added the wings and decided it was an angel later on. This illustration is also available in a form of about 70 products via Redbubble. 
MIXED MEDIA PAINTINGS: #WATERCOLOUR #SKETCHES AND #DIGITAL ART
MIXED MEDIA PAINTINGS: #WATERCOLOUR #SKETCHES AND #DIGITAL ART
t shirt redbubble angel print
redbubble angel print t-shirts
redbubble angel
FASHION ILLUSTRATION FROM MY INSPIRED BY FEATURE
This watercolour and ballpoint sketch is from way back. Here I illustrated a fellow blogger from Tie Bow-Tie blog . The original sketch was a mixed media, as I just wrote. Bellow you can see how I played with adding colour to this illustration digitally. Not sure about this one, though.
#modaodaradosti
#modaodaradosti
#modaodaradosti
Thank you for reading and visiting. Let me know what you think about digital art. Have you ever tried it? Do you like it? Have a lovely day. Keep safe and take care.

Comments

  1. The first one is my favorite. I love her curls and her pretty eyes. And so pretty with all the colors.
    Hope you're having a great day <3 Radi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are lovely! I like the first one best too - the eyes are so good. The second one looks like the redbubble model - it's a little eerie! I like the last one too, but I think the yellow is too overpowering/dominant.

    Thank you for sharing these, Ivana! I love what an artistic bunch we fashion-lovers are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. It is a funny coincidence taken that I have painted that angel girl years ago.

      Delete
  3. Lovely post šŸ˜Š thanks for your sharing šŸ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is really clever what you did with the digital editing! The paintings gain an almost ethereal quality when you add digital details. I love all the blue tinges in the first one!
    It's brilliant you can get facemasks with art on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the digital editing process on your watercolour sketches, Ivana. It's quite amazing what you can do with Paint 3D. I particularly love the first one. Such vivid colours! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really cool how you're transforming some of your older art pieces into digital pieces. It's like adding a whole new dimension to them and I bet you have fun with the process as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi again Ivana, first of all hope you're having a nice Friday :) Any special plans for the weekend?

    I love what you're telling about digital art, as an artist I have a lot to learn but I understand that some techniques could work better if you use them at the same time and combine the best characteristics of each one :) I haven't tried this Paint 3D but it looks great and it really boosted your illustration! Specially for the colors and details in the gradients of them.

    Actually through digital processes you can recover a lot of your old illustrations right?!

    Hope you can put your work into more platforms and props!

    Pablo
    HeyFungi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks dear. I hope I'll get to try more digital art tools, programs and platforms. Is there something you can recommend?

      Delete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači Ŕto ste uzeli vrijeme da neŔto napiŔete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

PLUS 30 WAYS TO WEAR A BABY BLUE DRESS AND LEOPARD HEELS (OUTFIT POST, MOSTAR)

SPRING IN SPLIT : 3 OUTFITS, ONE WORN FOR AN ART EXHIBITION

VISIT THE MAGNIFICENT MOUNTAIN LAKE BLIDINJE WITH ME!

THE ISLAND OF THE MISSING TREES BY ELIF SHAFAK (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION)

Island Hvar inspired this necklace (outfit post)/ Otok Hvar je nadahnuće za ovu ogrlicu (odjevna kombinacija)

Sights to see, Places to visit ( +outfitpost) / Znamenitosti za vidjeti, Mjesta za posjetiti (+odjevna objava)

Sights to see, places to visit (Ston, Croatia) / Znamenitosti za vidjeti, mjesta za posjetiti ( Ston, Hrvatska)

OZZ STUDENTS' FASHION SHOW, MENTOR FASHION DESIGNER STANKA ZOVKO (MOSTAR INTERNATIONAL FAIR)