Today I'll show you seven ways to wear a black maxi dress. This beautiful vintage dress was gifted to me by a family member. I don't own many solid black maxi dresses (probably because I'm addicted to bold prints and colours). I do own quite a few little black dress (because a LBD is such a classical piece) but not that many black ones in maxi length. In fact, I believe this is the only plain black maxi dress I own. I find it really easy to style. I treat this maxi as a neutral piece and I wear it all year round. I actually added embroidery to it (it's a hobby of mine) but the embroidery detail isn't that big (for now) so I tend to style it as a plain black dress. By that I mean that I like to have fun with accessories when I wear this dress. I often wear it with statement necklaces I made myself or similar eye-catching accessories. Anyhow, I figured that with the summer to autumn transitioning that is going on right now, it would make sense to show you some transitioning looks as well. How to take a black maxi dress from summer to autumn. Scroll down and see for yourself!
1. WITH SQUARE HEEL BOOTS, A BROWN BLAZER AND A MINI BAGHow to style a black maxi dress for autumn? My proposal is to pair it with a brown blazer, dark tights and a pair of black square heel boots. I also added a gold mini bag to break down the neutral palette. I finished the look with a summer hat that I transformed into an autumn one by turning it upside down (a neat trick, isn't it?). As a believer in sustainable wardrobe, I'm always looking for multiple ways to wear an item. I actually found another way to wear this scarf and that is by wrapping it around this mini bag. If you want to see that trick, here is the link to my original 3 ways to wear a bag post.
2. WITH BIKER BOOTS, DIY PAINTED SUNGLASSES, A BELT AND A TOTE BAG
Here I paired this black maxi dress with a faux leather tote bag, a pair of biker boots, colourful sunglasses and a belt. A pair of biker boots is a must. Once autumn starts approaching, I get my biker boots out. I love that they can be worn with both socks and tights. If it is hot, I keep my legs bare and when it cools down, I will put on a pair of leggings or tights. This combo could easily be turned into an autumn one by adding an additional layer, be it a jacket or just a thick sweater.
3. WITH A LEATHER BACKPACK, FUN SOCKS AND A PAIR OF PRINTED SNEAKERS
This was one of my travelling outfits. The combination of this maxi dress and sneakers is something I really like. I also liked wearing this black leather backpack that has a cute stripe detail on it. A very simple and easy styling, perfect for those summer days. This could also be a back to school outfit. Layering an outfit like this one is really easy so I might wear something like this again this autumn.
4. WITH BLOCK HEELS, A PINK BAG AND TWO STATEMENT NECKLACES
When it comes to the outfit you can see bellow, I was going for a more feminine vibe. I wore two statement necklaces (that I made myself) to add some vintage vibes to this look. I also opted for a pink bag and dark block heels. This is another outfit that can be layered easily. I can imagine myself keeping it glam this autumn by pairing this combo with a black blazer or a faux fur jacket.
5. WITH PRINTED SNEAKERS, A FASHION ILLUSTRATION TOTE BAG AND A STRIPED HAT
This is another casual option for wearing this maxi dress, quite similar to the outfit option number 3 minus the striped hat and tote bag from my shop. This was such a comfortable summer styling. I wore it for exploring my old neighbourhood on foot. This is another combo I might repeat this autumn by layering it with a sweater or a jacket. What do you think? Does it work?
6. WITH A DIY STATEMENT NECKLACE, BLACK BAG AND WHITE HEELED SANDALS
Bellow you can see me wearing this maxi black dress with white heeled sandals, a black bag and a red statement necklace. The accent is on the necklace. I actually made this necklace myself from recycled textile. It is made from red denim and features a heart pedant. I love heart shaped necklaces, they inspire me to live our life one day at a time. I'm a heart surgery survivor, so that might be why.
7. WITH A TARTAN JACKET, HIGH HEELED BOOTS AND RED ACCESSORIES
With autumn approaching, it is the right time to start planning rainy days outfit. The outfit you can bellow is appropriate for both autumn and winter rainy days. Here you can see how I styled this maxi dress with an oversize white scarf, a green tartan jacket, a striped cardi, a pair of high heeled ankle boots, a red bag and a red umbrella. I loved wearing this, I felt very chic!