SUMMER TO AUTUMN OUTFITS FEATURING A VINTAGE BLACK MAXI DRESS

Today I'll show you seven ways  to wear a black maxi dress. This beautiful vintage dress was gifted to me by a family member. I don't own many solid black maxi dresses (probably because I'm addicted to bold prints and colours). I do own quite a few little black dress (because a LBD is such a classical piece) but not that many black ones in maxi length. In fact, I believe this is the only plain black maxi dress I own. I find it really easy to style. I treat this maxi as a neutral piece and I wear it all year round. I actually added embroidery to it (it's a hobby of mine) but the embroidery detail isn't that big (for now) so I tend to style it as a plain black dress. By that I mean that I like to have fun with accessories when I wear this dress. I often wear it with statement necklaces I made myself or similar eye-catching accessories. Anyhow, I figured that with the summer to autumn transitioning that is going on right now, it would make sense to show you some transitioning looks as well. How to take a black maxi dress from summer to autumn. Scroll down and see for yourself!


1.  WITH SQUARE HEEL BOOTS, A BROWN BLAZER AND A MINI BAG
How to style a black maxi dress for autumn? My proposal is to pair it with a brown blazer, dark tights and a pair of black square heel boots. I also added a gold mini bag to break down the neutral palette. I finished the look with a summer hat that I transformed into an autumn one by turning it upside down (a neat trick, isn't it?). As a believer in sustainable wardrobe, I'm always looking for multiple ways to wear an item. I actually found another way to wear this scarf and that is by wrapping it around this mini bag. If you want to see that trick, here is the link to my original 3 ways to wear a bag post



2. WITH BIKER BOOTS, DIY PAINTED SUNGLASSES, A  BELT AND A TOTE BAG
Here I paired this black maxi dress with a faux leather tote bag, a pair of biker boots, colourful sunglasses and a belt. A pair of biker boots is a must. Once autumn starts approaching, I get my biker boots out. I love that they can be worn with both socks and tights. If it is hot, I keep my legs bare and when it cools down, I will put on a pair of leggings or tights. This combo could easily be turned into an autumn one by adding an additional layer, be it a jacket or just a thick sweater.

3. WITH A LEATHER BACKPACK, FUN SOCKS  AND A PAIR OF PRINTED SNEAKERS 
This was one of my travelling outfits. The combination of this maxi dress and sneakers is something I really like. I also liked wearing this black leather backpack that has a cute stripe detail on it. A very simple and easy styling, perfect for those summer days. This could also be a back to school outfit. Layering an outfit like this one is really easy so I might wear something like this again this autumn.



 4. WITH BLOCK HEELS, A PINK BAG AND TWO STATEMENT NECKLACES
When it comes to the outfit you can see bellow, I was going for a more feminine vibe. I wore two statement necklaces (that I made myself) to add some vintage vibes to this look. I also opted for a pink bag and dark block heels. This is another outfit that can be layered easily. I can imagine myself  keeping it glam this autumn by pairing this combo with a black blazer or a faux fur jacket. 

5. WITH PRINTED SNEAKERS, A FASHION ILLUSTRATION TOTE BAG AND A STRIPED HAT 
This is another casual option for wearing this maxi dress, quite similar to the outfit option number 3 minus the striped hat and tote bag from my shop. This was such a comfortable summer styling. I wore it for exploring my old neighbourhood on foot. This is another combo I might repeat this autumn by layering it with a sweater or a jacket. What do you think? Does it work?

6. WITH A DIY STATEMENT NECKLACE, BLACK BAG AND WHITE HEELED SANDALS
Bellow you can see me wearing this maxi black dress with white heeled sandals, a black bag and a red statement necklace. The accent is on the necklace. I actually made this necklace myself from recycled textile. It is made from red denim and features a heart pedant. I love heart shaped necklaces, they inspire me to live our life one day at a time. I'm a heart surgery survivor, so that might be why. 

7. WITH A TARTAN JACKET, HIGH HEELED BOOTS AND RED ACCESSORIES
With autumn approaching, it is the right time to start planning rainy days outfit. The outfit you can bellow is appropriate for both autumn and winter rainy days. Here you can see how I styled this maxi dress with an oversize white scarf, a green tartan jacket, a striped cardi, a pair of high heeled ankle boots, a red bag and a red umbrella. I loved wearing this, I felt very chic!
 That would be all for today! Thank you. Let me know what you think about these outfit proposals.

Comments

  1. Black dresses are always a great option!
    Have a lovely day! xx

    La ilusiĂłn de Nina - http://lailusiondenina.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello ivana
    I love the way you show us how versatile a black maxi dress can be and in such an original way, it can be both more sophisticated and sporty but you rock that dress Ivana !!

    xoxo

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful black maxi dress, what a nice thing to be given! the detail on the back is a cute touch and it looks great every way you've worn it here! I actually have two black maxi dresses, ha! I get a lot of wear from them :)

    My fave look here is with the casual shoes - such a fun touch with the dress!

    Hope that your week is going well :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
  4. First outfit is a winner! So chic!

    http://www.desiringsme.com/3-reasons-to-try/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see that this maxi dress has been very versatile and that you have been able to adapt it to different occasions, I like the options with sneakers and booties also looks great, it was certainly a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the stylings you've done with this very versatile dress. I think my favourite looks are with the pink bag and long necklaces, and the look with the boots and plaid jacket. Some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true.. so many great ways to style it. I love it with the blazer.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a lot :D

    you are so fashionist!!!

    NEW BRANDING POST | YOUR HAIR NEEDS THIS!!
    InstagramFacebook Official PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very fascinating variants of one dress in a few from elephants.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like we see one LBD and so many possibilities for different occasions. You did it great job with this all outfits dear xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you remixed this classic dress for fall!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your dress! The pictures are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A black maxi dress is such a fantastic closet staple. You are very lucky to have been gifted such a lovely vintage dress and great job showing off it's versatility. I've been eyeing a convertible black maxi dress from Cuyana and I think I may get it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. E' davvero così versatile questo vestito, mi piacciono tutte le proposte in cui lo hai indossato!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself

    ReplyDelete
  15. That dress is such a classic and very versatile as well. I think that it would work for every season too, just add another layer and it can be worn in Winter as well. I love the embroidery you have added. Is there no end to your talents? So hard to choose a favourite, though. I love the one where you combined it with the pink bag and the statement necklaces, which has a kind of 20s vibe in my eyes. But I'm also loving the first outfit, with the brown blazer, striped cap and cute little handbag. You've really got a talent for making the most out of your wardrobe! Have a lovely end of the week, Ivana! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I thought of twenties in connection with that look too, but only after I wore it. The connection didn't occur to me at once.

      Delete
  16. I love black dresses! Week actually I love all black clothing! So cool and sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What lovely and charming combinations! Black dresses can be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sviđaju mi se tvoje sandale na slikama :)
    Imam više od jedne maxi crne haljine, i super su za kombiniranje. Meni je jedino problem u hladnom periodu nosit iduge suknje i haljine preko grilonki, jer mi se polijepe po nogama i to onda kod mene ni na šta ne liči.
    Ove tvoje kombinacije su baš dobre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hvala, ja nekad imam isti problem s najlonkama a nekad i sa tajicama. Zato volim nositi suknje od jeansa, na njih se ništa ne ljepi.

      Delete
  19. Wow, What a beautiful black maxi dress. I love the embroidery you have added. I love one where you have paired it with that statement necklace and pink bag. That is my favorite one. But I also liked other looks as well. You are looking very fresh and pretty even in all pics.
    Have a lovely weekend,
    With love <3
    http://www.rakhshanda-chamberofbeauty.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are so creative to have added the embroidery to the dress Ivana!!
    It's such a versatile piece and you always showcase such great styles to make us realize we don't need MORE pieces...we just need to get creative with what we have in our closets!!
    XOXO
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love me some black dresses though! I ordered one lately and I'm excited to style it! love this, so inspiring babe! x
    have a fab day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooooh yes, a maxi black dress is an important as a LBD, actually any piece in this color is definitely a good purchase that can last year and that can rescue you from fashion emergencies haha!

    Let me say you're a very good consumer, you're always picking versatile pieces that can be worn in many different ways. My favorite option is the one with the backpack and the boots, I feel like you can add many different jackets in case you want multiple combinations, maybe one in a soft color to add a punch.... The outfit with the statement necklace is also great, I feel that necklace is so Frida Kahlo, it reminds me of mexican art :)

    Best regards dear!
    Pablo
    www.heyfungi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Frida and Mexico so I'm happy to hear that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

Jadrolinija ferry ride, travelling from Split to island Hvar (outfit post)

10 STYLE LESSONS LEARNED FROM MALENA/ MONICA BELLUCCI

A COMMISSIONED PAINTING OF A CHAPEL IN MOSTAR: ACRYLICS ON CANVAS- TRAVEL WITH MY ART #36

THE LATHE OF HEAVEN BY URSULA K. LE GUIN (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION )

EUGENE ONEGIN, A VERSE NOVEL BY A. PUSHKIN (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION)

BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION: ROADSIDE PICNIC BY ARKADY AND BORIS STRUGATSKY

VISIT STJEPAN'S FORTRESS IN LJUBUĹ KI (HERZEGOVINA) WITH ME!

THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ BY L.FRANK BAUM (BOOK REVIEW)

HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY- 15 READING RECOMMENDATIONS!