THE PAINTED VEIL, A NOVEL BY W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM (BOOK REVIEW)
Hello, dear readers! In this post, I'll review The Painted Veil , a novel by British writer William Somerset Maugham. Published in 1925, this novel was initially considered controversial because of its frank portrayal of martial infidelity. However, I think the implication of diplomatic corruption and the critique of British class system had something to do with it as well. Perhaps it hit a bit too close too home for the 1920th society, and for some especially so. The author faced a lawsuit and had to change the surnames of its protagonist, something that he talks about in the Preface . Moreover, Maugham had to replace Hong Kong with an imaginary name Tching-Yen, thought, this imaginary name was not used in later editions. We don't know whether Maugham was inspired by any particular couple when writing this story, but we do know that he draw from his work experience as a doctor and his dabbling in science. This novel, whose title is a direct reference to Shelley's famous ...
Happy New Year !
ReplyDeletethank you, to you both as well, all the best:)
DeleteThese pics are sooo beautiful! Love the bag :D
ReplyDeleteHappy 2013!
xoxo
novelstyle.blogspot.com
Amazing pics!!
ReplyDeletethanks, this bag sold out as soon as it hit the stores, no wonder, right?
DeleteWow, great pics. I love nature. Have a great day.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.fashiondenis.com/
me too, I just love being in the open:)
DeleteThank you so much honey! wow great pics!
ReplyDeletex
www.be-your-own-hero-now.blogspot.pt
thank you :)
Deletewhat a beautiful place! happy new year!
ReplyDeleteBeijos! Feliz 2013!
Nathália • Fashion Jacket
http://fashionjacket.blogspot.com.br
It really is the most beautiful place, located in Herzegovina (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
Deleteall the best in 2013!
Thanks for dropping by and can we can follow each other...I followed you~ Hope you do the same!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year!
www.dipikasyngai.blogspot.com
I did!
DeleteYou look so pretty. Love the scarf.
ReplyDeleteGirlie Blog Seattle | Casual Clothes for Less
thanks, I stole it from my mum:)
DeleteWhat a gorgeous location!!! I love your jacket! happy new year!!
ReplyDeleteDon't Call Me Fashion Blogger
Facebook
Bloglovin'
What a beautiful scenery! Happy 2013!!
ReplyDeletegreat pics !! Happy new year
ReplyDeleteStyle shouts
love all the accessories u have matched with this outfit! i am a new follower if u like to follow back on gfc i will be happy! happy new year! giulia
ReplyDeletethefashionmamas.com
So true!! Love the pictures. Beautiful background!!
ReplyDeletexoxo
Patricia
http://misstoptenimage.blogspot.com
thanks
Deletesuper fotke :)
ReplyDeletesretna nova, sve najbolje :)
hvala
DeleteBeautiful photos and post!!!
ReplyDeleteI have an award for you in my blog!!!
Hope you like...
Have a good week! and my g+ for you...
Besos, desde España, Marcela♥
thank you so much dear:)
DeleteGreat pictures, your outfit is perfect !! :)
ReplyDeletehvala
ReplyDeleteThis is way to cool. I really loved all the images and your unique style!!!
ReplyDeleteBest Regards
Miss Margaret Cruzemark
http://margaretcruzemark.blogspot.com/
che bella che sei!
ReplyDeleteNameless Fashion Blog
Nameless Fashion Blog Facebook page
Hello Ivana,
ReplyDeletewow, another great landscape post - ilove it!
Bye.
Jennifer