Handsewing a Barbie Coat: Our Barbie Is Ready For the Cold (DIY Project Of the Day)
This Barbie coat was a spur of the moment kind of DIY project, so I didn't take photographs of the sewing process. I just measured the fabric, made sure I had enough material and sewed it all together. Because I wanted to make a Barbie coat with an oversize collar, I basically just hemmed a piece of fabric and then added sleeves. I didn't cut out the fabric around the neck because I wanted that oversize cut. After hemming, I measured where Barbie's hands were supposed to be, cut out little holes, hemmed them and then I sewed the sleeves together and attached them to the coat. I hope I explained it well enough. That's pretty much it. I basically improvised this coat but all is well that ends well.
I'm thinking about using Barbie clothing patterns. Yes, those actually exist and you can find them online for free. I'll look into this Barbie clothing business a bit more as soon as I find the time. Maybe I'll even try to make something that will be a bit more difficult and challenging, such as a glam evening gown, for example. I'm definitely open to making more Barbie outfits. This was my third Barbie's clothing item and I think this coat turned out alright. What do you think?
I made this coat and purchased this doll having a specific little girl in mind. I'm not a Barbie collector and I never made something for a collector. I typically purchase Barbies so I can give them away as presents. So far, I always gave Barbie dolls to kids, to be used like regular toys. The idea of making outfits for Barbie's I purchase is a new one, but I'm open to exploring it further. Hand made presents always have something special about them, don't they? I don't have any friends who are collectors, although I'm aware there is a lovely community of Barbie collectors out there. I remember visiting a few lovely Barbie themed blogs in the past so maybe that put the idea into my head. Who knows?
As I said, I made this Barbie's coat for one little girl (age 3). She liked both the coat and the Barbie, although she did complain because there was only one. She apparently expected more than one Barbie doll. When I asked her how many dolls she expected, she said five. I asked her are there that many Barbie dolls in the shop and she assured me there were. Girls will be girls. :) I did also sew some other things for her, one of them being a mermaid tail for a Barbie but I didn't have time to take photo of it.
Not so long ago, I did a similar DIY Barbie project. My first attempt of making Barbie clothes resulted with me making two dress. Here is a link if you haven't seen that post or if you would like to check it out. The girls that got these Barbies seemed pleased as well. One of them (age 5) said that my husband was a true friend. I'll interpret that as her saying he did well by marrying me (she's his grandniece). Hey, it was me who made the dresses.