OUTFIT AND BOOK OF THE DAY (LORD OF LIGHT, A NOVEL BY ROGER ZELAZNY)

Hello dear readers! How's February treating you so far? Today I'll share a casual styling with you. I don't wear jeans on everyday basis, but sometimes nothing feels better than a pair of jeans. Jeans are a timeless classic for a reason. Jeans never get old, perhaps because there are endless ways to wear them. If you're looking for some denim outfit inspiration, you can have a look at my visual guide for wearing jeans for autumn and winter.  Jeans paired with heeled boots are one of my favourite outfit formulas for autumn and winter. I wore this outfit for a stroll in lovely Jelsa village on island Hvar. 
HOW I WORE IT BEFORE? 
As always, I try to be more sustainable in my fashion choices and wear my clothes as much a possible. That is one of the reasons why I link up my old outfits. The other reason is to find some fashion inspiration. One of the perks of having a blog is that it is a bit like having a digital closet. 
THE LILAC SWEATER 
You can see how I styled it previously here, here, here , here and here
THE STRAIGHT CUT BLUE JEANS
You can see how I wore them previously hereherehere, here and here
THE AVIATOR JACKET
I borrowed this jacket from my husband. I once wore it with hand painted pants here
THE BLACK BAG WITH STUDS
This bag was an anniversary gift, but since then I have worn it so many times! See hereherehere here, here and here
THE CARAMEL HEELED BOOTS
See several different ways to style these caramel boots here
Lord of Light is one of my all time favourite novels. I think I have already spoke about it on my blog, but as far as I can remember I haven't uploaded a full review of it yet.  I do have a copy of this book at home and I reread it regularly. However, when I found a copy of this SF classic in library in Jelsa, I couldn't resist the temptation- I just had to read it again. This novel is basically a story of a human colonization of an unknown planet. A spaceship filled with human crew arrives to an untouched planed. The crew conquered the planet, labeling the intelligent life forms demons and establishing themselves as sole rulers. Their technology soon enables them to live forever and they model themselves after gods in Hinduism. Only one man stands in opposition and that man is one of the original crew. 
“His followers called him Mahasamatman and said he was a god. He preferred to drop the Maha- and the -atman, however, and called himself Sam. He never claimed to be a god, but then he never claimed not to be a god.”

 Who is Sam? He is one of the original crew, a man who didn't want to be a god but managed to become one anyway. The first chapter opens with Sam being 'rescued' from nirvana (well, a sort of nirvana), but soon the story will digress to tell us more of the past. The novel isn't exactly told in linear fashion and this could be confusing to some. If you have just started this novel, please don't give up. Things become clear enough soon enough. When novels opens up, the gods have already defeated Sam once but with the help of his friends he is about to stage another revolution. 

From what I read about Roger Zelazny, he liked his mythology. From what I read from Roger Zelazny, he had not only an excellent understanding of mythology but an almost magical power to effortlessly weave it into a story. This was reflected in almost all of his writing, where Zelazny not only tapped into various mythologies, but breathed immense life and force into them. Zelazny created wonderful mythological worlds of his own fulled by the brilliant of his imagination.

Lord of Light, a novel he won a Hugo award for is an excellent example of that. It tells a tale of future human society where a group of individuals has achieved immortality and a god like status. Through the use of technology, this group has achieved god like powers. All of these gods were once humans, a crew that found a planet inhabited by beings they learned to control and simply took the planet from them. These 'gods' model themselves on Hindu gods. While in different bodies, during their many lives, they gave birth to many who in turn gave birth to more, and at the time of this novel the planet is well populated. These fake gods rule over all these people, controlling the reincarnation process and basically holding the ultimate power. Until, one of them decides to rebel. Now why would one of them choose to do so? Perhaps because he never truly became one of them. He never accepted the god status. A bitter sweet kind of hero, Sam makes for a fascinating protagonist. If you're familiar with other Zelazny's hero, you're surely see some similarities in his Byronic ways. Sam is flawed, wonderfully eloquent and more sincere than he wishes to admit.



I said that this planet is ruled by a group of individuals, most of them part of the original crew that discovered the planet. They imitate Hindu gods and are worshiped by planet's inhabitants whom they occasionally visit. The start of the novel is a bit confusing. If this is a Hindu world, how come Sam reached nirvana? , the protagonist of the novel was challenging the Hindu gods by introducing Buddhism to their people. Nirvana was his punishment, instead of killing him, the gods have found a way to transport Sam's mind into a state of bliss, this turning his religion of choice against him. The gods are definitely not stupid, they are more than worthy opponents to Sam and his few allies.
"Who are you, man?"
"I? I am nothing," replied the other. "A leaf caught in a whirlpool. A feather in the wind..."
"Too bad," said Yama, "for there are leaves and feathers enough in the world for me to have labored so long only to increase their number. I wanted me a man, one who might continue a war interrupted by his absence-a man of power who could oppose with that power the will of gods. I thought you were he."
"I am"-he sqinted again-"Sam. I am Sam. Once- long ago... I did fight, didn't I? Many times..."
"You were the Great-Souled Sam, the Budda. Do you remember?"
"Maybe I was.." a slow fire was kindled in his eyes.
"Yes," he said then. "Yes, I was. Humblest of the proud, proudest of the humble. I fought. I taught the Way for a time. I fought again, taught again, tried politics, magic, poison.. I fought one great battle so terrible the sun itself hid its face from the slaughter-with men and gods, with animals and demons, with spirits of the earth and air, of fire and water, with slizzards and horses, swords and chariots-"
"And you lost," said Yama.
"Yes, I did, didn't I? But it was quite a showing we gave them, wasn't it? You, deathgod, were my charioteer. It all comes back to me now. We were taken prisoner and the Lords of Karma were to be our judges. You escaped them by the will-death and the Way of the Black Wheel. I could not.”


At the start of novel, Sam is rescued from nirvana by his friends. Why Buddhism and not some other religion? That's an interesting question, isn't it? Sam said that it was because he didn't care for being put on a cross, but I think that is not all. It is perhaps because of the way Buddhism grew from Hinduism. It is perhaps a more smooth philosophical transition for the planet's inhabitants. Because it is a subtle religion, it is harder to fight it. If all this sounds like this novel is full of theological questions, it is because it is. Lord of Light is a philosophical kind of science fiction. It mixed technology with religion in a fascinating way. It is an intelligent and an inspired piece of writing. Never has a novel been more worthy of a Hugo award. This is science fiction at its best.


“Call themselves?" asked Yama. "You are wrong, Sam, Godhood is more than a name. It is a condition of being. One does not achieve it merely by being immortal, for even the lowliest laborer in the fields may achieve continuity of existence. Is it then the conditioning of an Aspect? No. Any competent hypnotist can play games with the self-image. Is it the raising up of an Attribute? Of course not. I can design machines more powerful and more accurate than any faculty a man may cultivate. Being a god is the quality of being able to be yourself to such an extent that your passions correspond with the forces of the universe, so that those who look upon you know this without hearing your name spoken. Some ancient poet said that the world is full of echoes and correspondences. Another wrote a long poem of an inferno, wherein each man suffered a torture which coincided in nature with those forces which had ruled his life. Being a god is being able to recognize within one's self these things that are important, and then to strike the single note that brings them into alignment with everything else that exists. Then, beyond morals or logic or aesthetics, one is wind or fire, the sea, the mountains, rain, the sun or the stars, the flight of an arrow, the end of a day, the clasp of love. One rules through one's ruling passions. Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Sam is the opposition, but who are the gods? They are a mixed lot. There is a love triangle of sorts, between Sam, the god of death and a lady who changes her deity during the course of the novel. She is quite a woman. Sam and she go way back. “But I recall the springtime of the world as though it were yesterday—those days when we rode together to battle, and those nights when we shook the stars loose from the fresh-painted skies!” Sam and the god of death have a relationship that is just at interesting. Once they were enemies, but the god of death not only comes to Sam's aid, he wakes him up from nirvana. As I said, the novel's narrative isn't linear, but somehow that seems very appropriate as well. It gives a different view of characters...and what characters they are! Highly recommended reading! I'm not even sure how many times I have reread this book and if you ask me that's the best recommendation any reader can give. I will probably read this novel again at some point. 

 As always, thank you for reading and commenting. Do you like to wear jeans? How do you style them? Have you read any interesting books or novels lately? Have a nice day!

Comments

  1. Great style and love the boots :-D I like to wear my boots over jeans too :-D

    Not read much lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I find that wearing boots over jeans is a great way to keep warm.

      Delete
  2. I have read some Zelazny, but not for years - I'll look for this one. I enjoy a bit of philosophy with my sci-fi. Thank you for the recommendation.

    I so seldom wear jeans - I like your looks here. Wonderful pictures, as always, Ivana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I enjoy philosophy with SF too:)

      Delete
  3. I do think jeans are great for so many reasons. Maybe not everyday, but I wear them too!! Especially in the winter with boots. You always look so stylish Ivana,
    XOXO
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love a jeans outfit, you look wonderful darling. Book sounds good!


    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your style dear! Nice Post! Have a great day!
    Allurerage
    Rampdiary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you're having a nice day Ivana! Another sweet escapade to a relaxing area, and your outfit is definitely a good option to have a comfortable day but with style ;)

    Loved your book pick for today's post, I've heard of this title before but never read it! Adding it to my good reads :D

    Pablo
    www.heyfungi.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super outfit za svaki dan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Beautiful and comfortable outfit.
    I hope you´ll visit my blog soon. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Ivana,
    Your closet shopping outfit with your husband's flight jacket looks very cool. Yes, sometimes it has to be jeans! Here it has been cold and stormy - very uncomfortable here for a few days! - and for me it also had to be jeans today :-)
    I didn't know the novel. My husband loves reading SF, but he hasn't heard of "Lord of Light" either. Sounds like a book tip for him!
    Thank you also for your lovely comment on my previous blog post. Your google translator was correct in that it was actually my godmother Aunt Mitzi who died. As for the virus my nephew picked up, the translation wasn't quite as correct: my nephew, my husband, and I got the Noro virus - we got infected in the nursing home where my mother lives, but fortunately my mother herself was not infected. (I know, google translate is sumetimes funny ;-)))
    Hugs and have a good time,
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2020/02/gedanken-uber-das-reisen.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am super intrigued by the book! It sounds very imaginative and intriguing and different from the sci-fi I have read. Tempted to look for it in the library! I'm not surprised it is a favourite. I am intrigued to find out how it ends!
    I like your outfits. The aviator jacket is cool! Whilst I am not a particular big fan of jeans, particularly the stereotypical Jeans, I do have a few pairs which I wear sometimes (though all my work colleagues comment that they have never seen me in jeans- mainly because I've always found it hard to get them to fit me!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty and cozy outfit, Ivana!
    Interesting book! I read The Lord of the Flies years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bellissima la trama di questo libro me lo devo leggere, adoro anche questo look Ivana, bello il giubbotto!
    Don't Call Me Fashion Blogger
    Facebook
    Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love these boots, so gorgeous. And the book looks really interesting. And of course, as always I'm loving this spot you've taken us too, it's beautiful!! Very refreshing atmosphere!! I hope you have a great day x

    ReplyDelete
  14. You always wear jeans so well and you know I like that purple knit! :) it sounds like an interesting book, but not the kind of thins I like to read.

    Hope that your week is going well :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
  15. Io sono una grande fan dei jeans e li metto spessissimo, sono comodi e si adattano bene a qualunque tipo di look! Oltretutto il modello straight adesso è quello che va più di moda! Stai davvero bene vestita così!
    Quanto al libro, io non lo conoscevo, e sinceramente non sono neppure una grande amante del genere sci-fi, però da come lo hai descritto sembra davvero interessante e sembra offrire spunti di ragionamento davvero validi! :)
    Baci!
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your look♥
    The sweater and boots are chic.

    Ann
    https://roomsofinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very beautiful casual look and that novel sounds very interesting. Thank you for sharing. Also your photos are so gorgeous. I can't wait to come back again in Croatia this summer.

    New Post - http://www.exclusivebeautydiary.com/2020/02/helena-rubinstein-wanted-rouge-005.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great outfit! To me there's nothing better than a pair of cigarette jeans in a dark wash. I have two pairs which I practically live in and the best part is how they can easily dressed up or down. I remember you mentioning this book before. The entire premise sounds very compelling so I can understand why it's a favorite of yours. You've piqued my interest and I need to see if it's available at my local library.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the recommendation, Ivana. That book looks very interesting, and I will certainly look out for it. I haven't worn jeans in a while, but still have one or two pairs lying around, which I won't get rid of as who knows I'll get the urge to wear them again some time. You do look amazing in yours! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, you never know when you can get the urge to wear them again.

      Delete
  20. Jeans with boots is definitely my favorite for winter. You're looking amazing in this outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I liked your jacket, so pretty!
    And beautiful place ♥

    https://www.heyimwiththeband.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Ivana
    I don't wear jeans on a daily basis, in fact I haven't worn my jeans lately due to the boot I have to wear on my foot !!
    But I also like to wear them with boots, just like you did!!
    I've never heard of that book, but I'm not a big fan of science fiction !!
    xoxo

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your outfit looks comfy and stylish at the same time! I love that you try to reuse some of the pieces in your outfits. I',m also trying to do the same. Thank you for sharing. Have a great weekend!

    PerlaGiselle | iamperlita.com

    ♥ | INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful look. Beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This outfit same so confort, thaks for indication this book

    Kisses
    www.pimentadeacucar.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love how casual jeans are! It is so versatile when it comes to styling different outfits. Lord of Light sounds like an interesting novel. Glad you enjoyed the novel overall! Thanks for sharing!

    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm not familiar with this author, although I read a lot) I like the way you combine things. These boots look great with jeans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anya. He is one of my favourite authors.

      Delete
  29. Your outfit with jeans and boots is so cool! I love your husband's jacket, too<3
    That book, Lord of Light seems interesting, so I reserved it at library!

    akiko
    www.akikohiramatsu.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Che foto pazzesche! Mi piacerebbe leggere questo libro!!!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself

    ReplyDelete
  31. Amazing Outfit and Photos! I love the Boots :)

    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the styling in this look. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You do casual so well Ivana, hope you have a wonderful week ahead.

    xoxo
    Lovely Amusan
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Dear Ivana, for me it is similar with jeans as for you: I definitely don't wear them on a regular basis but sometimes it is simply time for jeans! How you combined your jeans with the lilac sweater and the cool boots looks wonderful casual and I see you feel comfortable in it. And I see also that you really like this novel! I didn't read this book so far - I really should do it!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Those boots always look kinda fierce and with jeans they just make such cool combo! Love your jacket as well
    Need to check for that book, don't think I've heard of it before but it sounds exciting!

    LackaDaisy

    ReplyDelete
  36. You look amazing, Ivana! SO cozy and chic!
    xoxo, Vanessa
    www.WhatWouldVWear.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. I totally am in love with this outfit. Somehow, it feels sporty with a bit of an edgy feel. The boots are spectacular! I've not read this book before but it seems interesting! I love a bit of philosophy mixed with any genre though I've got to be honest, I don't usually read science fiction! I'm glad you enjoyed the book as it is conveyed through your insightful writing about it. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is alright, I know science fiction isn't for everyone.

      Delete
  38. Another great outfit and a good book recommendation, my GoodReads lists are growing up due to all your posts jeje :) I don't read a lot of science fiction, but now I'm reading something by Philip K. Dick and is quite interesting to explore this genre.

    And jeans, well I think everything I could say about jeans is already told, but is definitely an essential in every closet, like a white canvas where you can go creative as much as you want!

    Pablo
    www.heyfungi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the comparison with the white canvas and I find it so true!

      Delete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

Jadrolinija ferry ride, travelling from Split to island Hvar (outfit post)

10 STYLE LESSONS LEARNED FROM MALENA/ MONICA BELLUCCI

THE LATHE OF HEAVEN BY URSULA K. LE GUIN (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION )

A COMMISSIONED PAINTING OF A CHAPEL IN MOSTAR: ACRYLICS ON CANVAS- TRAVEL WITH MY ART #36

EUGENE ONEGIN, A VERSE NOVEL BY A. PUSHKIN (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION)

BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION: ROADSIDE PICNIC BY ARKADY AND BORIS STRUGATSKY

VISIT STJEPAN'S FORTRESS IN LJUBUŠKI (HERZEGOVINA) WITH ME!

THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ BY L.FRANK BAUM (BOOK REVIEW)

HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY- 15 READING RECOMMENDATIONS!