BOOK REVIEW: GODS IN ALABAMA BY JOSHILYN JACKSON

 Hello dear readers! Today I'm back with another book review.  This was my first novel by Joshilyn Jackson. Gods in Alabama was her debut novel, I believe. It's always fun to discover a new author. Let's start with the positives and work our way from there. What I liked the most about this novel is how it is focused on female relationships. On the surface, it might look like a love story mixed up with a murder mystery but at its core, it is something else. The novel follows a story of Arlene, who escaped the South never to come back. Arlene (who now goes by the name Lena) talks regularly on the phone with her aunt but refuses to visit her family in the South. Arlene was practically raised by her aunt because her mother was incapable of taking care of her. The relationship between the protagonist Arlene and her first cousin, the girls being as close as sisters, was quite touching. Moreover, the relationship between the protagonist Arlene and her aunt (who is in a way her adoptive mother) was  quite interesting and intense. I liked how the novel focused on the female characters, even if there was some place left for their character development.  Gods in Alabama might be a bit clumsy in the way it handled some things, but on overall it was a good read. 

My review will be accompanied with some appropriately 'girly' photographs. I took these photographs about a week or so ago, when I finished this interesting novel. Besides this book review, I will also show you two outfits featuring vintage dresses I inherited and a bouquet of flowers. My husband bought me this bouquet of flowers for his birthday. Isn't that so sweet? A typical Leo, he is. Always generous. I though this floral bouquet matched the cover of the book quite nicely not to mention my vintage dresses.  You never know where you will find inspiration for your next outfit. 






The plot of the novel is simple enough. Arlene has got a secret. That is what kept her away from the South. She has made a promise to God to stay away from men and live according to her faith. In return, God should help her keep her secret. Arlene is in serious relationship with a very patient (and a bit too perfect to be convincing) tax layer. Somehow he puts up with her wanting to remain celibate until marriage, but he draws the line when she refuses to take him to meet her family.  This is what is said on the book itself and it is a pretty good introduction to this novel: "For 10 years Arlene has kept her promises, and God has kept His end of the bargain. Until now. When an old schoolmate from Possett turns up at Arlene's door in Chicago asking questions about Jim Beverly, former quarterback and god of Possett High, Arlene's break with her former hometown is forced to an end. At the same time, Burr, her long-time boyfriend, has raised an ultimatum: introduce him to her family or consider him gone. "


I have a soft spot for Southern American writers so I figured I should give this one a go.  As I explained Jackson is new to me. I don't regret picking up this novel. Even if Jackson is no Faulkner, her writing engaged me. Indeed, Jackson's writing is quite energetic and dynamic. The beginning of the novel is quite intense and dramatic.  Maybe a little bit too melodramatic for my taste, but there is a healthy dose of humour that makes it easier to swallow.  

I mean the opening paragraph to this novel is pretty hilarious: “There are gods in Alabama: Jack Daniel's, high school quarterbacks, trucks, big tits, and also Jesus.” The writer then goes on to point out the protagonist left one of them behind. That got me interested soon enough. Bonus points to me for instantly figuring out what god the protagonist Arlene/ Lena left behind. Instantly, I felt drawn into this story. I cannot say that the entire novel was as powerful as the beginning pages, but some parts of it were quite impressive. I only wish it was a  more balanced or ambitious piece of writing.


This writer has got spirit, I give her that. However, at times this novel feels like a strange mix of chic lit, murder mystery and family drama. It is too melodramatic to be taken seriously even when it covers some difficult topics such as: abuse, drinking, violence, depression, loneliness, bullying, self-harming and racism. Maybe it is all a bit too much for one book? I mean there really is a lot put into this novel. Fortunately, there were some funny moments along the way to ease the reading. Not enough to completely forgive the slow, predictable (and yet unconvincing) plot development and a generally stereotyped portrayal of South, though. Nevertheless, there is enough spirit and humour in this novel to make it an enjoyable read. 

Despite some plot holes and general silliness, I found Gods in Alabama to be an interesting read. This is Joshilyn Jackson's first novel I believe and it shows. The ending doesn't really make sense, the characters are not as well developed as I would like and the dialogues don't sound natural. However, within its pages, there is a nervous kind of energy that captivates the reader- at least that is what I felt. Moreover, I simply loved how at its core this novel is more focused on a relationship between Arlene/Lena and her aunt (who basically raised her) then on any romantic relationship. Yes, there is a romantic relationship but it is not what drives the plot. I thought that was quite a fresh take on things. To conclude, this novel didn't really lived up to its potential, but it left me wanting more. I do want to read more Joshilyn Jackson!







I mentioned that I enjoy literature of the American South. By that I primarily mean writers like William Faulkner and Tennessee Williams. I reviewed some of them in the past. 

When it comes to more contemporary readers, I feel I can recommend The Help by Kathryn Sockett. 

If you would like to read more of female authors, here is my list with 30 recommendations!





OUTFIT DETAILS

OUTFIT #1:

THE PINK DRESS- VINTAGE (worn here) + links bellow

THE WHITE SHIRT- OLD (a part of my old flight attendant uniform)

 ORANGE HEELS- OLD (not branded)




OUTFIT #2

THE RED DRESS- VINTAGE (with my DIY touched- I hand painted it and sewed the crystals myself)- worn here

THE ORANGE HEELS- OLD (not branded)- here & here





Thank you for reading and stopping by. Have a lovely day!

Comments

  1. No he leído nada de esa autora, pero me parece interesante. Lo tendré en cuenta . Me gustan tus zapatos y el vestido rosa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds a good read and love love love these 2 outfits :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely outfits. Amazing stilletos! Oh, some southern writers are better than others and when it comes to Southern women writers (America) they are usually over the top and practically trailer trash in some cases. Some of their southern ways can go a long way. Thanks so much for your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones I read were mostly really good. This one was nice but maybe a bit tacky (not trashy, though).

      Delete
  4. Oh, it does sound like a fun read! Lovely dresses too! Really, some lovely photos of your artwork as well as the book. Such a treat! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This novel certainly appeals to me, so thank you for the introduction.
    I used to read Southern American literature almost exclusively for a couple of years in my twenties.
    As for your outfits, they are both delightful, but the red dress especially so! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love this red dress. I don't wear it as much as I should.

      Delete
  6. I love books that focus on female relationships - and what a great opening line!

    Gorgeous flowers - they go so well with your lovely outfits, Ivana. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The opening line is hilarious- and it really makes sense it the context of the novel.

      Delete
  7. Two fabulous frocks, you look fantastic!
    Thank you for the in depth review, as a rampant atheist I'm afraid I'd see the word God and have to leave the book on the shelf! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a very religious book, but since the murder mystery is a bit weak I'm not sure you'd like it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

The heart of a woman (an outfit post and a book recommendation / Srce žene (odjevna objava i preporuka knjige)

PLUS 30 WAYS TO WEAR A BABY BLUE DRESS AND LEOPARD HEELS (OUTFIT POST, MOSTAR)

Sights to see, places to visit / Znamenitosti za vidjeti, mjesta za posjetiti -----Goranci

THE ISLAND OF THE MISSING TREES BY ELIF SHAFAK (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION)

Fashion Illustration Friday: Inspired by Colours of Autum

The Magic of Nature Park Hutovo Blato: Must See Places in Herzegovina

Island Hvar inspired this necklace (outfit post)/ Otok Hvar je nadahnuće za ovu ogrlicu (odjevna kombinacija)

Not that pink dress again (outfit post) Ne ponovo ta roza haljina ( odjevna objava)

Lake Mostar (revisited) / Mostarsko jezero (ponovni posjet).