READING UPDATE: TWO BOOK REVIEWS (HUMAN ACTS BY HAN KANG AND HOGFATHER BY TERRY PRATCHETT)

I'm back with another reading update. Today I'll be reviewing two very different novels: Human Acts  by Han Kang and Hogfather by Terry Pratchett. I've heard good things about both of these authors, but I only got to reading one of their works last month. These two books were my introduction to Pratchett and Kang, you might say. I'm happy to report I quite liked both of them and plan to read more of them. Isn't it great when you discover authors that are perfect for you? Han Kang is a South Korean writer. A daughter of a novelist herself, Han Kang writes with ease. Her writing style is beautiful, touching and almost hypnotic. Kan really has a way of bringing you inside the story. I first heard about Han Kang when her controversial novel The Vegetarian started to trend and I've been meaning to read it ever since. When I saw this beautiful cover of Human Acts in Jelsa library, I knew it is time for me to pick it up. Similarly, I've been meaning to read Terry Pratchett for quite some time. Sir Terry Pratchett was a British author who is best know for his fantasy Diskworld series consisting of 41 novels. I'm quite fond of British writers and Pratchett's writing really impressed me. It's a shame he is not with us anymore, but at least we have his brilliant works to keep us company. Scroll down to read my reviews of Human Acts and Hogfather.
HUMAN ACTS, A NOVEL  BY HANG KAN  4/5

Human Acts is a beautifully written tale of a historical tragedy. This novel is very potent and meaningful, but it is not the easiest book to read. Set in the midst of a tragically ended student uprising in South Korea, much of the novel focuses on the death of a young boy named Dong-ho and the effect his tragic death had on his family and friends. It speaks of a painful time in South Korea's history, of the brutal dictator this country lived under, the military regime it experienced and the horrible massacres committed by the army. The fact that it was based on true events makes this story even more chilling. The author did a lot of research for this novel, she studies the fates of victims in detail. You can feel this in writing. While you read the novel, it does feel real. 

“Is it true that human beings are fundamentally cruel? Is the experience of cruelty the only thing we share as a species? Is the dignity that we cling to nothing but self-delusion, masking from ourselves the single truth: that each one of us is capable of being reduced to an insect, a ravening beast, a lump of meat? To be degraded, slaughtered - is this the essential of humankind, one which history has confirmed as inevitable?”

Early in the novel, Dong-ho, a young student, is killed. He is not the only young and innocent person whose life ends suddenly. In fact, the novel opens with a massive tragedy. We meet Dong-ho as he is volunteering to help the grieving families identify their family memories killed by the army, hoping to find his school friend Jeong-dae (who we will learn was mercilessly killed as well). As Dong-ho watches over the corpses, we get to see the death in all of its horror. Dong-ho fights nausea but together with two brave young women (whose stories we will learn as well) he keeps working on standing watch over the bodies. In the end he refuses to save himself and leave. His character really grew on me. The young student who is looking for his friend was such a well crafted character. At the same time, the writer does a great job of setting the atmosphere of a tragically ended student protest, the prosecution and the horror of live under the military regime.

“...It was as that strange, vivid night was drawing to a close, as the faint blue light of dawn had begun to seep into the sky's black ink, that i suddenly thought of you, dong-ho. Yes, you'd been there with me, that day. until something like a cold cudgel had suddenly slammed into my side until I collapsed like a rag doll. Until my arms flung themselves up in mute alarm, amid the cacophony of footsteps drumming against the tarmac, ear-splitting gunfire. Until I felt the warm spread of my own blood moving up over my shoulder, the back of my neck. until then, you were with me.”



When Dong-ho is killed, the narrative switches to his friend Jeong-dae who is at that moment a rotting corpse. The description of Jeong-dae's spirit agonizing over the fact that he cannot communicate with anyone was extremely upsetting. That part of the novel was so well written and quite terrifying. It was like a whole another level of suffering, reading about this young boy's soul being linked to the body that was decaying, without being able to break free or find peace. Jeong-dae is also able to sense that his sister was killed as well and this brings him incredible pain. That whole episode of afterlife made so much sense to me. We can imagine that Dong-ho's soul goes under a similar torture and that is really horrible.


There are many tragic stories in this novel. However, the death of Dong-ho seems to connect them all. The bravery of this young boy is in many ways a connector for all the tragic and heart-breaking stories this novel shares. Dong-ho becomes a symbol of the country's collective suffering and loss. His family deals with his death in different ways but they are all greatly affected. As the novel progresses we learn more of the suffering of those who survived.


The novel offers a very detail account of this historical massacre and tragedy, it takes it very seriously and does all it can to bring it to light. I felt that it went a bit too dark at times, that it could have focused on the humanness of certain characters, on the courage they must have had. Nevertheless, on overall Human Acts it is a fantastic book. It contains quite vivid and graphic description of murders, torture and violence, so if you're sensitive, it might affect you. It is the kind of novel that can make you cry a river. It certainly made me cry, but I'm very grateful to have read it. I truly believe Human Acts is a labour of love, something close to the author's heart. I hope it might bright some peace or closure to the survivors of those horrible times. To conclude, Human Acts is a poetical, inspiring and beautiful tale but it is also incredibly sad.

“I'm fighting alone, every day. I fight with the hell that I survived. I fight with the fact of my own humanity. I fight with the idea that death is the only way of escaping this fact.” Han Kang, Human Acts




“Some memories never heal. Rather than fading with the passage of time, those memories become the only things that are left behind when all else is abraded. The world darkens, like electric bulbs going out one by one. I am aware that I am not a safe person.”


“Glass is transparent, right? And fragile. That's the fundamental nature of glass. And that's why objects that are made of glass have to be handled with care. After all, if they end up smashed or cracked or chipped, then they're good for nothing, right, you just have to chuck them away.
Before, we used to have a kind of glass that couldn't be broken. A truth so hard and clear it might as well have been made of glass. So when you think about it, it was only when we were shattered that we proved we had souls. That what we really were was humans made of glass.”

“After you died I couldn't hold a funeral,
So these eyes that once beheld you became a shrine.
These ears that once heard your voice became a shrine.
These lungs that once inhaled your breath became a shrine.”


 
“I still remember the moment when my gaze fell upon the mutilated face of a young woman, her features slashed through with a bayonet. Soundlessly, and without fuss, some tender thing deep inside me broke. Something that, until then, I hadn't realised was there.”

“I'd been mistaken when I'd thought of them as victims. They'd stayed behind precisely to avoid such a fate. When I think of those ten days in the life of that city, I think of the moment when a man who'd been lynched, almost killed, found the strength to open his eyes. The moment when, spitting out fragments of teeth along with a mouthful of blood, he held his failing eyes open with his fingers so he could look his attacker straight in the face. The moment when he appeared to remember that he has a face and a voice, to recollect his own dignity, which seemed the memory of a previous life.”


 HOGFATHER, A NOVEL BY TERRY PRATCHETT 4/5

 Hogfather might be the twentieth novel in the Disc world series but it was my first book in the series (and my first by this author). I always suspected Terry Pratchett might be my cup of tea and I wasn't wrong. I immensely enjoyed reading Hogfather. It is the perfect book to take one's mind of problems. Very imaginative and funny in its setting and world building, this novel also features a wonderful female protagonist: Susan. Death is quite an interesting character as well and an author of many memorable lines through the course of this book. The plot isn't bad either. It's all about the spirit of Christmas (or better to say Hogwatch) in this one.


One thing I especially liked about Terry Pratchett's writing is his humour. This writer has got a fantastic sense of humour. At any rate, it's the kind of humour that appeals to me. It is at times very dark (or should I say very British?). This book made me chuckle many times. It is wonderfully funny in a variety of ways. There are all kinds of humour in it, from the silly jokes (pigs relieving themselves where they shouldn't and that sort of things), clever world play, reversed logic reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland to more philosophical and satirical humour. This writer likes to make fun of everything, doesn't he? However, Terry Pratchett never goes too far for my liking, rather he shows a sense of measure in his comical scenes. Moreover, even when he makes fun of religion, education system and human society (which is all the time more or less) Terry retains a necessary dose of humility that seems to be hinting at things unknown. Terry is great at pointing out at the absurdities without growing too depressive or gloom in his writing.



...“You can't give her that!' she screamed. 'It's not safe!'
IT'S A SWORD, said the Hogfather. THEY'RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.
'She's a child!' shouted Crumley.
IT'S EDUCATIONAL.
'What if she cuts herself?'
THAT WILL BE AN IMPORTANT LESSON.”




The novel opens with Susan (Death's granddaughter) working as a governess. She had a great education and now she wants a normal life. ...“She'd become a governess. It was one of the few jobs a known lady could do. And she'd taken to it well. She'd sworn that if she did indeed ever find
herself dancing on rooftops with chimney sweeps she'd beat herself to death with her own umbrella.” Despite her sarcasm, Susan gets on pretty well with kids and is able to teach them some important lessons. While the writer makes a witty remark: ...“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.” , Susan's education actually proves helpful in this book and not just for her job as a governess. That doesn't mean it is really helpful, though. After all, most people don't have to save the world on regular basis. Susan makes for a charming governess and a book protagonist. Susan's matter of fact approach to life is in wonderful contrast with the world she lives in and the situations she has to deal with. Take for example her rendering of a known classic of children's literature: ...“And then Jack chopped down what was the world's last beanstalk, adding murder and ecological terrorism to the theft, enticement, and trespass charges already mentioned, and all the giant's children didn't have a daddy anymore. But he got away with it and lived happily ever after, without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done...which proves that you can be excused for just about anything if you are a hero, because no one asks inconvenient questions.”



Soon into the novel, Susan gets involved into her grandfather's schemes. She has to solve a mystery and for once Susan cannot rely on her powers. Quite ironic given how much Susan says she only wants to be 'normal'. Apart from highly likable Susan, there is quite a cast of interesting characters in this book. The villain of this book Mr. Teatime is also a memorable character.



“Mister Teatime had a truly brilliant mind, but it was brilliant like a fractured mirror, all marvellous facets and rainbows but, ultimately, also something that was broken.”
― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather



The only thing I didn't like about this book was that it was just a tad bit too long. I felt the story could have been shorter without losing its essence. I think this book would be just as great if it was a hundred pages shorter. Not that I'm no complaining too much, for it was a wonderful read. The Death of Rats was a bit of a redundant character if you ask me, but then again he comes in pair with a rather entertaining raven, so I guess he wasn't so bad after all. I just thought these two will have a more important role to play apart from ending up dinning on a conveniently found ship that happened to die happy and of old age. Anyhow, this book has some brilliant moments and it was a truly entertaining read.



..“This is very similar to the suggestion put forward by the Quirmian philosopher Ventre, who said, "Possibly the gods exist, and possibly they do not. So why not believe in them in any case? If it's all true you'll go to a lovely place when you die, and if it isn't then you've lost nothing, right?" When he died he woke up in a circle of gods holding nasty-looking sticks and one of them said, "We're going to show you what we think of Mr Clever Dick in these parts...”

 
 
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS POST, YOU CAN READ MORE OF MY BOOK REVIEWS:
 BEST BOOKS AND FAVOURITE WRITERS OF 2018
 READING UPDATES, NEW FINDS: MARIO VARGAS LLOSA AND RAGNAR JONASSON
READING UPDATE: PLAYER PIANO AND THE FAULT IS IN OUR STARS
 READING UPDATE: LONDON, CERVANTES, LE CARRE AND ESQUIVEL
READING UPDATE AND A GIRLY VINTAGE SUMMER OUTFIT
 SUMMER READING AND REREADING UPDATE
READING UPDATE AND BOOK REVIEWS: WHITE STYLING
READING UPDATE: SCIENCE FICTION
READING UPDATE & BOOK REVIEWS
READING UPDATE & NEW BOOK REVIEWS
 THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ
KAFKA ON THE SHORE, A BOOK REVIEW
 That would be all for today. Thank you for reading and commenting!

Comments

  1. Hey Ivana, how you doing?! Hope you're having an excellent month so far :)

    I love your book recommendations, as you know I'm trying to fill my life with books as much as possible, now I'm reading some classics (Jane Austen), but from the first moment I saw Han Kang mentioned at the beginning of the post I got excited... different from you I started with her other book, The Vegetarian and it left me breathless, it is a book that is filled with sensations, it is a book that you can smell and you can experience tons of different sensations from one momento to another.... since that moment Human Acts was part of my reading list immediately, but I still need to find the book, so with your recommendation I confirmed that I want to read this title.

    Best regards dear! Gonna check the other posts of the week :)
    Pablo
    www.heyfungi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing pretty well, thank you. I know you love reading. What are you reading at the moment? I like Jane Austen, I read most of her books. She was a keen social observer. I cannot wait to read The Vegetarian, I heard so many amazing things about that book.

      Delete
  2. You look relax in the pictures!
    HAPPY WEEK
    xoxo
    http://stylishpatterns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for another in-depth book review, Ivana! While I haven't read any of the authors, I know about Terry Pratchett. I just wouldn't know where to start with him, and whether his books would be my cup of tea, so to speak. I hadn't heard of Hang Kan, but she does sound interesting, so I might be checking her out. I hope your week is going well, Ivana! Do send over some of that sunshine you're enjoying! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Terry isn't a typical fantasy author so you might like him.

      Delete
  4. These books sounds really interesting and especially Human Act I would like to read.
    Thank you for sharing these books, wishing you a wonderful evening!

    jointyicroissanty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read Terry Pratchet before, although I don;t remember which book! My uncle had the series and I read one but it was a while ago!

    I hadn't heard of the other author before, thanks for sharing!

    Hope that your week is going well :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would enjoy the humor more than the tragedy!! I haven't read either of these!!
    OXOX
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read Hogfather. I met Terry Pratchett in the late 1990s and he was very rude to me :-( I did get his autograph. And in the 1990s I collected the Discworld figurines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so sorry to hear he was very rude. Some writers are like that and even if most of them are introverts and not so good with people, there is really no excuse for being rude, is there? I imagine that wasn't a nice experience. Well, at least you got his autograph.

      Delete
  8. So great post, love so much

    Kisses
    www.pimentadeacucar.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I LOVE Death! He's so funny! By the way, isn't it The Death of Rats? Not mice?
    Susan is a great protagonist. I didn't like this book the first time I read it but I loved it after I'd read over Pratchett. Sky made a TV version of it which I've not seen but it featured Michelle Dockery (from Downton Abbey) as Susan. I went to school and dance school with Michelle and this was the first big thing on TV I'd heard about her being in at that time which was pretty cool. Now she's a household name! The first one I ever read was Maskerade which is a spoof on Phantom of the Opera and includes the best Discworld character (except for Sam Vimes), Granny Weatherwax!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, you are right. It's Death of Rats. I didn't know about the adaptation and Michelle playing Susan, I bet she was perfect as her.

      Delete
  10. Han Kang sounds like an author I would like (it sounds like a great pick for Book Club), and I've read a bit of Pratchett - "Good Omens" by Pratchett and Neil Gaiman is an awesome read. I enjoy your book reviews, Ivana! And what a nice reading area you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Sheila. This is a great spot to read indeed. Plenty of sun in the apartment I'm renting.

      Delete
  11. Both books sound like they would good to read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ora come ora leggerei il secondo, qui in Italia siamo barricati dentro casa e serve un po' di leggerezza!
    Don't Call Me Fashion Blogger
    Facebook
    Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Terry Pratchet so much. When I was in Croatia I read all books which was avaliable in my local library. He is amazing author with unique writing style.

    New Post - https://www.exclusivebeautydiary.com/2020/03/beauty-of-small-things_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is amazing Ivana I've missed you!!!

    Serene xoxo

    http://www.surrealserene.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. I'm happy to see you again too!

      Delete
  15. Human Acts sounds very intense and compelling even though it is steeped in tragedy. It sounds like it says a lot about humanity as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the book review hun will be looking to purchase them.

    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great reviews, and I love your reading place!
    I just booked Human Acts on my favorite library!

    Last month, I read about 30 pages of "Lord of Light", one of your reviews!
    Unfortunately, I have to check out the book before I have read all...
    I would love to read it again on another occasion :)

    akiko

    ReplyDelete
  18. Blindness (Portuguese: Ensaio sobre a cegueira, meaning Essay on Blindness) is a novel by Portuguese author José Saramago. It is one of his most famous novels, along with The Gospel According to Jesus Christ. In 1998, Saramago received the Nobel Prize for Literature, and Blindness was one of his works noted by the committee when announcing the award.
    a reading suggestion, any resemblance to current reality is pure resemblance.
    xoxo

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look up that novel, it seems interesting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

SPRING IN MOSTAR CITY: A VINTAGE PURPLE BLAZER PAIRED WITH A FLORAL DRESS

SPRING IN SPLIT : 3 OUTFITS, ONE WORN FOR AN ART EXHIBITION

WELCOMING SPRING WITH 15 IDEAS TO COMBAT SPRING FATIGUE!

Let there be colour! (outfit post) / Neka bude boja (odjevna kombinacija)

Painting of the day (A Lioness) / Slika dana (Lavica)

21 WAY TO STYLE A MINI FLORAL DRESS (FOR ALL SEASONS)

Summertime in Mostar (black and white dress) / Ljeto u Mostaru (crno bijela haljina)

VISIT THE MAGNIFICENT MOUNTAIN LAKE BLIDINJE WITH ME!

Sights to see, places to visit / Znamenitosti za vidjeti, mjesta za posjetiti -----Goranci