READING UPDATE & BOOK REVIEW : ROBERT A.HEINLEIN (SPACE CADET, WALDO AND MAGIC INC, PODKANYE OF MARS)

Any season is a good season for reading (especially if you're a bookworm), but there is something particularly sweet about summer reading. Maybe it is just that we associate summer with reading, but I always catch myself immensely enjoying the privilege of being a bookworm in summer. Reading in the open air and swallowing one book after another- what bliss! I've been doing just that and that means it's time for another reading update. I've been visiting my local library on a weekly basis, checking in a few books every time- sometimes even braving the heat to do (as showed on the photographs bellow that were taken while the sun was quite strong, hence the hat and the white styling). Anyhow, I fi it's time to share some of my reading experiences with you. Today I'll review two novels (Space Cadet & Podkanye of Mars) and two novellas (Waldo & Magic, inc) written by Robert A.Heinlein. All of these works were written some time ago, but they have aged well. I could honestly recommend them all. Robert A. Heinlein is an American author who has had such a massive influence on science fiction that he is sometimes called 'the dean of science fiction'. What I like about his style of writing is that it is typically scientifically accurate but at the same time quite daring. Moreover, Heinlein often challenges social norms and customs in his work.



ROBERT A. HEINLEIN: SPACE CADET (4/5)
This novel was exactly what I expected it to be and in that sense I certainly wasn't disappointed. Space Cadet is not as complex as some of other Heinlein's works I read, but that is hardly surprising taken that it is basically a YA novel targeted at boys. I didn't expect too much from Space Cadet, and the main reason why I picked it up was because it was written by Heinlein. There was nothing surprising about the book itself, it was a simple moralistic YA story with a bit of science and food for the thought thrown in. I ended up enjoying it as the concept of Space Cadets and Space Patrol proved interesting enough to keep my reading interest high. In many ways this book reminded me of Spaceship Troopers, but it felt a bit more juvenile in tone. 
How would I describe this novel? Space Cadet is a lovely vintage SF book that has aged well. It is quite typical of Heinlein's writing of the time. It follows the adventures of young Matt who decided to join a prestigious space organization that is military in organization but is more a scientific/peacemaking organization. Matt didn't interest me too much as a protagonist (neither did the other characters, I guess the whole story was too YA to keep me on my toes), but I was fascinated by the concepts of the above mentioned Space Patrol and I enjoyed reading about it. An idea behind the Space Patrol is that it drafts intelligent and moral man, the kind that can keep the politicians from messing up everything. It is a good idea, isn't it no?t The Space Patrol looks like a military organization, but that's just a surface appearance because this organization is composed mostly from scientists. This novel was written for a young audience, so it might be boring to some adults. I didn't find it boring at all, but that is probably because I have grown up loving SF, so for me personally these kind of books are classics of a kind and make me feel nostalgic. I would primarily recommend Space Cadet to fans of Heinlein and to younger readers of SF.

ROBERT A. HEINLEIN: WALDO + MAGIC, INC (4/5)
 I divided into this one thinking it a novel, but Waldo and Magic,Inc are actually two separate novellas. Not that I mind, I like shorter prose works just as much as I like longer ones. Albeit not lacking in similarities, these two stories are independent and could be read separately. I believe they were originally published separately. Moreover, they do feature a completely different set of characters, so it is not as one can be read as a sequel to another. However, I do see why they are published together. Besides the common theme of magic, these novellas share a common protagonist- an independent self-made man who has to struggle his way to keep his business at its peak. Although, Waldo is rich to start with, he still has to work hard to stay on top. Plus, both of these protagonists really treasure their business, seeing it as a way to maintain their independence. I'm sensing a bit of an ode to an entrepreneur and an independent business owner in these stories. I actually was not surprised to see it get mixed up with magic. Perhaps to achieve any kind of true independence in this world, one must to either rely on magic or believe in it. ;) 
Waldo 3/5
Considering that Waldo has been published in 1942, the story has aged considerably well and for most part didn't feel dated at all. Waldo, its principal character,is a genius misanthrope, a man who suffers from a severe muscular atrophy but it didn't let it stop him from becoming wealthy and powerful. However, it seems that humanity (and one company in particular) needs his help, and Waldo is willing to help- as long as the price is right. Did I mentioned that Waldo likes money? To be frank I enjoyed this story mostly for Heinlein's ideas and his excellent grasp of politics, science,  human nature and business. As for character development, I found it a bit lacking. The character of Waldo changed too quickly for my liking. I didn't find the ending that plausible. I suppose the whole ugly duckling ending seemed a bit implausible to me. Nevertheless, I quite enjoyed Waldo's initial discovery of magic. The old doctor was a great character as well. One more thing I liked about this novel is that it made me think- how much do we know about how technology affects our health? Sure, testings are done but how many long term ones? It's odd how little has changed since 1940. I can't believe that we still don't have quality long term testing that could evaluate how the various devices we use could affect our health. We have a long way to go. 
Magic, Inc 4/5
Originally published in 1940 under an interesting title 'The Devil Makes the Law', this is a splendid little tale of magic and adventure. It's protagonist is Archie, a business owner who won't be intimated by crooks but will find that fighting them might be harder than he ever imagined- because the corruption sometimes go all the way to the top- especially if the underworld has a hand at things. There are several things I liked about this story. First, it is well written and planned. The world in which Archie lives is one where magic is a common thing, but only certain limited uses of it. To solve his problems, Archie will have to dig deeper and join forces with several interesting character, one of them being a kick ass old lady (a witch) and other a black British professor with African roots. I do like how Heinlein always tried to introduce different races in his character cast. The black guy, for instance, is an absolutely positive character, an educated fellow who has also preserved his African roots and can help Archie get out of his predicament. Mind you, that was quite progressive for 1940-ties America. When you read a work of fiction, you always have to be mindful of the date of its publication. Something that might not seem that brave today might have been a step in the right direction in the past. To conclude, Magic, Inc is an interesting and well written novella.

ROBERT A.HEINLEIN: PODKANYE OF MARS (4/5)
Podkanye of Mars, a science fiction novel by Robert A.Heinlein, tells a story of a young girl from planet Mars who is about to leave her home planet for some planet hopping. This book was first serialized in 1962 and published in hard cover in 1963. Podkanye is a charming female protagonist, a young girl dreaming of becoming a spaceship captain. Named after a saint from Mars, we quickly learn that Podkanye is very devoted to her birthplace i.e. Mars, but also how much she is very much looking forward to visiting other planets in an upcoming family trip. Right from the start Podkanye reminded me of another teenage female protagonist, Holly the heroine of Heinlein's short story The Menace From Earth. Like Podkanye, Holly was born and raised away from Earth. Holly is a Luna Native i.e. Loonie, while Podkanye is a Marsman (because as she stresses, Martian only refers to the original species and inhabitants of Mars) but both of them belong to alien societies. Holly aspires to be a space ship designer, Podkanye wants to command one. Both young girls are ambitious individuals with a well developed moral compass. Moreover, I found Podkanye's narration endearing. Heinlein managed to make it both believable (she does sound like a teenage girl) and funny.
 
This novel is basically a series of diary entries written by Podkanye and occasionally her hyper intelligent and potentially problematic brother. This diary opens up with Podkanye introducing her family that is composed of the above mentioned brother and her brilliant parents, a mother who is an accomplished engineer and a father who is an equally successful and esteemed historian. Podkanye then raves about the family trip that gets cancelled because of the mix up in the frozen babies factory. In fact, her family suddenly gets 3 new members all at once. Her parents didn't plan to have them all at once, but now there are here, Podkanye does what she can help and hides her disappointment about the cancelled trip. However, it seems that not all is lost because Podkanye has a brilliant uncle who is willing to help and take her and her brother on a planet hopping trip himself.
Now, based on my description, you might judge this book to be SF YA adventure but Podkanye of Mars is actually more a social commentary of the future. One thing I like about Heinlein's future history works is that they seem so realistic. He portrays future societies as complex and problem ridden as our present ones. You might call it pessimistic but I think his estimations are spot on. As much as we would like, it is unlikely that the human race will solve all of their problems with the advancement of technology. It is much more likely that we will drag our deeply rooted issues with us into space. 
Not that things are hopeless. There is always hope and Heinlein is good in showing that it pays to think and use your head. As a social commentary, this book is very successful. It examines a series of important subjects, ranging from politics to economics, from gender roles to parenthood, from personal liberty to parenthood. One sentence in particular stayed with me (Those who do not have time for kids should not have them) and made me think quite hard. I wonder whether it really possible for both parents to have a very successful and demanding career and to be there for their children, or is it always one parent (regardless of the gender) that makes some career sacrifices. I am not saying it has to be a woman and a mother who makes that choice, but maybe somebody must make it, for it is hard to believe that both parents can chase their career and be there for their kids at all times. Not unless we want to have a society where kids raise themselves without a moral compass. The number of children is something that needs to be considered as well. It is not the same to raise two kids and ten. Having children is a serious life long obligation and responsibility, something technology does not really help with. 
All in all, this was a great book to read. The story itself is interesting and well written, the plot is well paced, there is enough action to keep you on your toes, plenty of humor and enough food for the mind. It is an amazing book, perhaps not as intellectually ambitious or profound as some of the best Heinlein's works, but certainly worthy of a recommendation.
  
As always, thank you for reading. What have you been reading lately? Let me know in the comments.

Comments

  1. I love your look:)
    HAPPY WEEKEND
    xoxo
    https://stylishpatterns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your outfit and the bag, and the books for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your white tunic and pants are so great summer style!!
    I have never read Heinlein's book, but I would love to read "Podkayne of Mars".
    That book cover is so cool!!

    akiko
    www.akikohiramatsu.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a stunning look- it's like in boho- hippie female style - love it ,
    I am bookworm too- I regret that I dont have so many time to read like I used to have but anyway books are important part of my life :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ivana, wow. you are reading a lot currently. Like you I also love reading in summer but recognised that obviously in winter I have even more time (maybe because there is less to do outside :)). Currently I'm reading a biography of Emperor Maximilian of Mexico what is very interesting after I read the biography of his wife Charlotte of Mexiko. But tomorrow I think I won't have reading time as our daugther and my son-in-law are celebrating another wedding party :) Have a wonderful weekend!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rena! That sounds like a very interesting biography. I like reading biographies too.

      Delete
  6. Kod drage Ivanice uvek dobre recenzije! Hvala ti na javljanju draga. Bila sam na letovanju, a sad pokusavam da se naviknem ponovo na uzurbanu gradsku realnost :) Pripremam i nove blog postove.

    Veliki pozdrav

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pensa che invece per me è il contrario: in estate riesco a leggere molto meno che negli altri periodi dell'anno, perchè con le giornate così belle e lunghe ho sempre voglia di fare qualcosa all'aperto, che sia una partita a tennis o una nuotata in piscina o anche una passeggiata in centro.
    Mentre quando fa freddo e piove e sono costretta a passare molto più tempo in casa allora trovare il tempo di leggere diventa molto più semplice.
    Quanto ai due romanzi che hai proposto oggi, non li conoscevo: in realtà non amo molto il genere SF, ho letto davvero pochissimo di questo tipo di libri, però il secondo sembra piuttosto intressante!
    Baci!
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. qui a Mostar faceva molto caldo, a volte anche 48 gradi, troppo caldo per uscire fuori, cosi addesso ho abbastanza tempo per leggere.

      Delete
  8. Yes any season is suitable for reading but something about sitting outside during the summer with a book is all the more appealing. I've never read anything by Robert A.Heinlein since science fiction is a genre I've never really gotten into despite my husband's fondness for it. I find it cool that this book has a female protagonist and contains social commentary of the future though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mi piacciono sia i libri che i film di fantascienza... scelta interessante Ivana!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself

    ReplyDelete
  10. Non avevo mai sentito questo autore, mi hai incuriosito! Bello anche il tuo outfit bianco! ;)

    https://julesonthemoon.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow I had not heard of this author though I am not a big reader of science fiction I tend to watch more more sci-fi shows then read books in this area. This summer I read a book on the French revolution and now I am reading a book about a family in Guatemala. Love your head to toe white look!

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allie. Heinlein is perhaps not as popular as he used to be in his day, but he is still considered one of the most important authors in the genre.

      Delete
  12. I read some of Robert Heinlein's work when I was in my early twenties, as I was into my Science Fiction phase back then. Love your in-depth book reviews and I'm simply amazed by the fact that you managed to read such a huge amount of books. To be honest, Summer isn't my main reading season. I seem to read much more in Winter! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear. I suffer from insomnia, so I sometimes go through a couple of books in a week:).

      Delete
  13. Thank you for the book recommendations! I'm glad that you enjoyed them all and I love your outfit too. The white on white looks great with that hat!

    x Kara | http://karascloset.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love science fiction, recently though I have been so interested and reading more historical fantasy. I love the historical bit because of my period costuming background but I also enjoy a good scientific read. It's nice to see Space Cadet on here as well. Thanks for sharing. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you darling. Historical fiction is a great genre too, feel free to share some recommendations.

      Delete
  15. I totally agree how summer is made for reading. But then again so is winter by the fireplace...ha ha!!
    And you have such a varied reading list, Ivana. I love how you embrace SO many different genres.
    XOOX
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodie. I do like different genres, the only genres I don't like are horror and romance.

      Delete
  16. You always have such wonderful flora book reviews. Thanks for sharing these. I actually haven't read any of them so this was really interesting to read.

    Kathrin | Polar Bear Style

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've actually never heard of these books before but they sound interesting. I barely have time to read these days and it's a struggle but I always loved reading before I had kids. Maybe these novels are something that they may like too. Thanks for the recommendations and reviews.

    xoxo,
    Christine
    http://dailykongfidence.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely post Hun, I love this outfit and I'll have to take a look at these books! x

    Grace Louise || http://gracelouiseofficial.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look so gorgeous dear! Thanks for the book recommendation
    Happy Weekend :)

    https://www.abdelkhalekleblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are great picks dear. I'm always interested in scifi. Thanks for the recommendations! Also, lovely white top you have there.

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

PLUS 30 WAYS TO WEAR A BABY BLUE DRESS AND LEOPARD HEELS (OUTFIT POST, MOSTAR)

THE ISLAND OF THE MISSING TREES BY ELIF SHAFAK (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION)

Sights to see, places to visit / Znamenitosti za vidjeti, mjesta za posjetiti -----Goranci

VISIT THE MAGNIFICENT MOUNTAIN LAKE BLIDINJE WITH ME!

Fashion Illustration Friday: Inspired by Colours of Autum

OZZ STUDENTS' FASHION SHOW, MENTOR FASHION DESIGNER STANKA ZOVKO (MOSTAR INTERNATIONAL FAIR)

TWO SPORTY FLORAL OUTFITS FEATURING STRIPED STARTAS SNEAKERS

Lake Mostar (revisited) / Mostarsko jezero (ponovni posjet).

THIS MUST BE THE PLACE (BOOK REVIEW AND AN EARLY SPRING OUTFIT)