READING UPDATE: R. ZELANZY, K. HOSSEINI AND ARTO PAASILINA

It has been a while since my last reading update, hasn't it? I love writing book reviews and you seem to like reading them so I'm back with a new reading update. Today I'll share book reviews for three very different novels with you. The first one is a science fiction novel written by two North American writers. This novel doesn't take itself too seriously and is a fun read. The second book recommendation is a bestseller: an emotional novel  by an Afghan-American writer and doctor.  The third novel I reviewed a dark comedy novel by a Finish author. I'm also going to show you a few ways to wear a cherry print dress in winter. Scroll down to see and read more!



IF AT FAUST YOU DON'T SUCCEED BY ROGER ZELANZY AND ROBERT SHECKLEY 4/5
If at Faust You Don't Succeed is a religious satire of sorts, so it might be offensive to some who are easily offended. That being said, I think it's a great novel. I do like how Roger can make fun of religious concepts but at the same time keep his writing intelligent and balanced. There is a lot of humour in this book, but it is well written and has a place within the story. Now, I'm not familiar with the other author Roger Zelazny collaborated with on this novel and that is Robert Sheckley but I believe they collaborated on some other works as well. Anyhow, their collaboration seems to be a success.  I can definitely recognize Roger’s signature touch to this story, though.


I might have a weakness for theology mixed with something else, especially when that something else is science fiction or fantasy. This novel was such a fun read. Sure, this book doesn't have the depth of the Lord of Light, but it is damn funny. It ridicules our concepts of heaven and earth and well of pretty much everything.
Faust as an old man who would do anything to eat a normal dinner and sleep with a pretty young woman is not exactly the most awe-inspiring hero but then again this is a satirical novel. There is also an anti-hero that is charming as hell- not a typical Faustian legend, is it? Where are the complexities, the inner struggle of one's soul? You won't find them with Faust. There is no great magician/alchemist/academic searching for truth but something more like most of the academics you might know: selfish, intelligent but quite close minded and egoistic. You know very human but not in the flattering sense of the word. That's the Faust of this book. You know, I think that this version ruined Goethe's Faust for me. IT is not precisely a PURE parody of it, but it does makes fun of it.

THE KITE RUNNER BY KHALED HOSSEINI 3/5
I must admit to having somewhat mixed emotions about this book. I liked it a lot but I still had some issues with it. My main issue with The Kite Runner was with Amir- the protagonist (narrator of this book. I felt that Amir lacked in the character development department. Not that Amir was the only one. Moreover, all the characters seemed a bit distant and some of them weren't developed that well. I could sense their emotions, but the actions of characters didn’t always make sense.


That being said, the emotions felt real, even if characters sometimes remained distant. This is definitely a novel that made me 'feel' things. I must admit that at times I was even frustrated with the characters' actions. The main character (and the narrator) Amir is so hard on himself for things he had done. Amir beats himself up and yet he waits so agonizingly long to do anything about his past wrongs. It often feels like too little, too late if you know what I mean. Realizing that Amir was just a child desperately craving the love of his father when some things happened, it is hard to judge him. However, some aspects of his character are annoying. Why did he wait for so long so set things right? Some aspects of Amir's character seem to remain hidden. Why did Amir suddenly become religious for example? Just out of fear for the life of someone he loves? Does he really think that following customs will make him a better man? Who is he at the end of the novel really? Is he a changed man?
Nevertheless, there were many things about this novel I liked, such as the fact that the writing style is fairly simple and easy to read. It somehow suits the complexity of the story. Amir's retelling of growing up with Hassan somehow turns into something quite complex, something as complex as life itself. It is not just a story about treason and redemption. It is also a story about a country, a nation, a tradition, social status, politics, and finally, as it often does, it comes down to the fight between right and wrong. Another way I experienced The Kite Runner is as a novel about war. Although the war ( or wars to be more precise)is in the background, it is still an essential part of the story. It is interesting how the war affects everyone, even those who escape it or do not witness it directly. Despite the fact that the narrator escapes Afghanistan, he cannot escape the war. Perhaps no one ever can. War has such devastating consequences. War is like inner bleeding. You may not feel it or see it, but you'll be hurt by it eventually.
This is a novel that tells a lot about the worst and the best in people, in time of war or peace, and does so in a human way. For that alone, it is worth reading. The plot is not always convincing, but honestly that did not bother me too much. It was just that the ending left me a bit disappointed as did Amir himself. Even in the end you have a feeling that there are secrets still, that none of the major characters is completely revealed. But that is life. Perhaps that's why this novel seems so real but at the same time I expected a bit more from story that promised such complexity. To conclude, the Kite Runner is in many ways a beautifully written, emotional and complex novel, but it is not without its flaws.
A CHARMING GROUP SUICIDE BY ARTO PAASILINNA 4/5
Now, this is such a wonderful and original novel! Written by a Finnish author I wasn't familiar with prior to reading this book (Arto Paasilinna), this novel absolutely charmed me. Oddly funny in a dark way, this is a story of a group of suicidal people who decide to commit suicide together. They all have their reasons for wanting to end their life. Some of them even have quite serious reasons and yet there is humour in this book (dark humour that is). It’s a funny reflection on one of the grimmest aspects life, one could say. As we follow these suicidal individuals we learn more about them.


They embark on a long journey, slowly postponing the date of their suicide. At one point they get themselves a bus, an eventual means of their planned suicide (they want to drive themselves off the cliff) but first they decide to drive around the country. Friendships and love attachments are formed, as these lonely individuals find understanding and support in one another. However, will this excursion be enough to make them crave life or will they eventually commit suicide together? To conclude, this book was funny but at the same time respectful portrayal of suicidal people. I feel that it is especially relevant in today’s time and place. It might not be for everyone, but if you don’t mind dark European humour, you’ll definitely like it.

Thank you for reading and commenting. Have a lovely day!

Comments

  1. I like books by Khaled Hosseini <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you have different reads. Sometimes, satires are needed to see perspectives. I love this kind of read because it gives you some humor. It is a bummer that Kite Runner wasn't all that great. Thanks for sharing!

    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. The Kite Runner wasn't bad either, I'm happy I had the chance to read it. It is just that there are some writing flaws in it, but on overall it is a good novel.

      Delete
  3. Oh these are very deep choices. I would like to check out the first one. Sounds like something I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks dear. These are lovely books. I'm preparing more reading recommendations.

      Delete
  4. If At First you Don't Succeded sounds like a read I would love. I read The Kite Runner. It really is an emotional novel to make us think. A Charming Group Suicide sounds like fun. There is a British movie (I wish I could remember the title) with a similar type of plot. Although funny, was quite touching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ There is a British movie (I wish I could remember the title) with a similar type of plot:
      I think you mean "A Long Way Down" - the film adaptation of a novel by Nick Hornby - I liked both very much, the movie and the book (but I liked the book a little more :-))

      Delete
    2. I read the summery for both the movie and the novel by Nick Hornby and it seems to me they took some elements from the Finnish writer and the film it was based on. Still, I'd like to see both the movie and the novel A Long Way Down.

      Delete
  5. Ho letto il cacciatore di aquiloni di Hosseini qualche tempo fa ma ora mi hai incuriosita con l'ultimo che vorrei proprio leggere
    Don't Call Me Fashion Blogger
    Facebook
    Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  6. They sound quite good, I really need to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Ivana,
    First: Your outfit looks great - a wonderful mix that conjures up a chic, colorful winter look from a summer dress. Secondly: I know two of the three books you presented :-) With the Kite Runner I had similar experiences like you - I thought it was well written - BUT ... This is probably because it is a personal revision - the author wrote about what he experienced. There may still be a lot of torment for him. I also read Arto Paasilinna's novel with the suicides years ago. I could hardly remember it, but I think I also enjoyed reading it.
    As for "If at Faust You Don't Succeeded", I first had to look up the internet because I don't know the authors and the strange title didn't tell me anything either. Now I know that the book in German is called "Wer immer sterbend sich bemüht" ("Whoever is trying hard dying." - That doesn't make much sense either ;-)) The book is obviously the second part of a novel series called "Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming" - did you know that?
    1 Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming. 1991.
    Deutsch: Bringt mir den Kopf des Märchenprinzen.
    2 If at Faust You Don’t Succeed. 1993.
    Deutsch: Wer immer sterbend sich bemüht.
    3 A Farce to be Reckoned With. 1995.
    Deutsch: Ein Schauspiel, teuflisch bös und unmoralisch.
    But it sounds like it doesn't matter to know the first part ... (?)
    I wish you a nice weekend!
    Hugs, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2020/02/ostsee-2019-st-petersburg.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't read the first part yet, but I might some day. I know what you mean about The Kite Runner and I believe it was.also.the author's first book.

      Delete
  8. Another series of those in-depth book review you do so incredibly well! From those 3 books, I have only read The Kite Runner, which like you I had mixed feelings about, and at the end I'm not sure I liked it very much. There is, of course, the hype, which often keeps me from reading a certain book. I wouldn't even have read this one if I hadn't happened upon it in a charity shop. I haven't read or even heard of the other two, but I'll be looking out for A Charming Group Suicide, though. It seems your review has convinced me :-) I'm loving that dress you're wearing by the way! Wishing you a wonderful evening and a lovely Sunday, Ivana! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those ankle boots are so cute! The heels are killer xo

    MakeupMuddle.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have finally read one of the books you talk about...the Kite Runner. It was a long time ago but I do remember being a little depressed by it.
    I love how you take a print in that dress and make it work even for the winter, Ivana.
    XOOX
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amei a bota!preciso ler com mais frequência 😘

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you talk about books? :P

    All I was staring at.. those sexy stiletto heeled ankle boots!! And I love the other heels as well!

    YouTube | Blog: Geekette in High Heels | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too! Great pairs of heels both of them.

      Delete
  13. The book and the stiletto boots are super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ivana,

    Sorry for visiting you after such a long time! Hope you're doing wonderful. I am going to browse and read the posts that I missed reading in all these days.

    I have a big fan of Khaled Hosseini Books too. I have just read 'Kite Runner,' and wish to read more of his books; though I'm a big fan of self-help/non-fiction books only. Love your book reviews always.

    I love the dress and the shoes you're wearing in the pics, especially the big heels pumps with the purple strap. That compliments you so much <3

    You have a wonderful week ahead.
    Hugs,
    Epsita | www.thepositivewindow.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey yes! Your book reviews are always welcome and everytime I come to Moda Odaradosti my list of books increase a lot haha!

    I read The Kite Runner many years ago in High School, I remember I liked it at that moment, but maybe I should give it a second look since I have changed a lot and maybe my perspectives on the topic are different now.

    All the best! By the way love the colorful bloom outfit :D

    Pablo
    www.heyfungi.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

The heart of a woman (an outfit post and a book recommendation / Srce žene (odjevna objava i preporuka knjige)

PLUS 30 WAYS TO WEAR A BABY BLUE DRESS AND LEOPARD HEELS (OUTFIT POST, MOSTAR)

Sights to see, places to visit / Znamenitosti za vidjeti, mjesta za posjetiti -----Goranci

Fashion Illustration Friday: Inspired by Colours of Autum

What To See and Do in Hutovo Blato Nature Park in Summer? Exploring Bosnia and Herzegovina's Hidden Gems #1

THE ISLAND OF THE MISSING TREES BY ELIF SHAFAK (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION)

The Magic of Nature Park Hutovo Blato: Must See Places in Herzegovina

Not that pink dress again (outfit post) Ne ponovo ta roza haljina ( odjevna objava)

OZZ STUDENTS' FASHION SHOW, MENTOR FASHION DESIGNER STANKA ZOVKO (MOSTAR INTERNATIONAL FAIR)