HOW TO DRESS MORE FEMININE IN COLD WEATHER? OUTFIT PROPOSAL, MOSTAR (BIH)

I've been talking a lot about winter outfits lately, haven't I? It's quite cold here in our sunny Mediterranean region of Herzegovina, so I can only imagine what it is like in countries that have a more continental climate. Therefore, speaking about dressing for cold weather seems to make sense. Spending time outdoor is beneficial for our health. I know I'm repetitive but it is one of those things I don't mind being repetitive enough. We're not bears and we're not supposed to curl up, hibernate and sleep through the winter (though we all sometimes wish we could). I spoke about benefits of spending time outdoors here.  Plus, getting out can be a great opportunity to take some photographs and share them (because sharing photographs one way or another- that's just a part of our daily lives right now, almost like a modern way of communication).

One might say I have it a bit easier than some. Surely being surrounded by such beautiful mountains I'm tempted to go outside for a hike. Well, that's certainly true. This glorious view of Mostar city is a walking distance from my home. I did walk up to this point many times in the past. However, this particular time we drove there, because I just wasn't well enough to walk (I'm still trying to get my iron levels up). As much as I love sports, hiking and all that, I also have a chronic illness that at times makes it impossible to enjoy physical activities. That's life. Sometimes we have it easy, sometimes we have it hard. I think we all have it both easy and hard- in certain areas of our life. Nobody has it all. When I'm well enough, I do sports. When I'm not, I don't. I don't stress about it. I think worrying about things like that is more unhealthy then skipping a work out day. I'm all for fitness and stuff, but sometimes people get obsessive about it, especially in January. This is another thing I wrote about in my blog in an article titled Working Out Philosophy. (What I haven't wrote about? Maybe I've been blogging for too long? Maybe it is time to retire?)



This lake you can see besides me doesn't actually have a name, as far as I know. The place itself is called Halda (not sure is it an official name) and it is located near Vihovići and obviously quite close to neighbourhood Rudnik (close in like five minutes from here). Rudnik means a mine, and there was a carbon mine here in the past. My husband's father worked in that mine. It was closed down some time ago but you can still sometimes see the heat coming out of the land.  From this place you can enjoy a glorious view of Mostar city. If you visit Mostar city, this is another photo worthy location to consider. I've actually taken outfit photographs here quite often in the past. If you want to see more photographs of this are, you can do so here (Mostar in the background) and here (Close to the edge).





Now, a few words about my outfit. I'm wearing a grey midi dress I made myself (available for sale) in the fashion sewing class I took last year. I wasn't sure how this dress is going to look like paired with high boots and mid length coat, but I was pleasantly surprised. I was worried that the silhouette of the look would be clumsy with the coat cutting the dress at a bad angle, but now that I look at the photographs the silhouette looks fine to me. The fact that this coat has a belt helps, I'd say. Still, this might not be the best combination for petites. This outfit would look more elegant with high heeled boots but these ones are so comfy I couldn't resist. As much as I love high heels, I must admit that a low heel is often more comfortable. Fortunately, today there are so many shoe models and designs available that it is easy to find dressy flat or low heeled shoes. So, we can have the best of both words.





IS COLOURED COAT THE ULTIMATE WINTER FASHION OUTWEAR?


How do you like my new coat? This lovely brown faux leather/ faux fur coat was a gift from my husband. He saw it and decided that it was perfect for me. What could I do? I had to try it. This coat is quite fitted so I had to take of my chunky sweater to try it on, but once I tried it on I was surprised by how comfy and warm it is. I do like that it came with a faux fur hoodie. Perfect coat for cold weather. I think brown coats are a great alternative to black ones. I do own a black coat ( two actually- one short, one long) but I often find myself reaching for coloured coats just because they are so fun to style. 



Dress: DIY (available for sale here) / Boots, Coat and Bag: Not branded



I really like the colours of this outfit. Brown and grey go surprisingly well together. I'm not sure why I haven't discovered this colour combo before (or maybe I have and I have just forgot?) but it is certainly a lovely one. On overall, I do like this outfit. Faux fur always makes me feel so glamours. I was going for a feminine winter styling that will be both warm and comfortable, and I think I've done a pretty good job. When creating a feminine winter outfit, little details like cute gloves or a pretty bag always help. Moreover, winter accessories can help us stay warm. I wrote about that in a post title d Winter Accessories: How to Stay Warm While Looking Stylish so feel free to check that one as well. 




Winter style tips for dressing more feminine 

1. Think before you get dressed

Alright, maybe this is kind of obvious, but putting some though and effort into getting dressed can pay off in the long run. You might want to put together a list of things that worked for you in the past, a list of things and outfits you want to try out. Take a minute and think before you get dressed.

2. Look for inspiration 

If you're feeling stuck or uninspired, don't be afraid to look for inspiration. With the help of various social media and fashion sites ( such as Pinterest, fashion blog/magazines and Instagram) , and search engines ( google and whatever else you're using) you should be able to come up with great outfit ideas.  


3. Don't forget about layering

I know it is pretty obvious but still. You need to stay warm. The best way to do that is layering. In addition, layering gives us more options. Creating a feminine outfit is easier once you master the layering. For example, when you want to wear a pair of warm leggings, consider wearing a nice elegant skirt or a dress over them. Wearing a dress or a skirt over leggings or even pants is a great way to fight the cold.

4. Pay attention to the accessories

Anything from a nice scarf, leather gloves to a pretty necklace can take your outfit to a new level. Write down all the feminine accessories you can think of. Check out what you have in your closet. Remember that gorgeous pair of earrings you totally forgot about and finally wear them. You do not have to wait for the Spring to wear your favourite necklaces. Wear your necklaces over turtlenecks and scarves. 

5. Wear fitted items or a belt

Fitted items are often by definition feminine. They make any outfit appear more dressed up and feminine. If you cannot invest in tailored and fitted items right now, consider belting your clothes. A nice belt can create an illusion of a fitted cut. 


6. Skirts and dresses are an obvious choice (so don't you ignore it)

Well, they are. Skirts and dresses are clothing items that are by definition feminine. Today dresses and skirts come in all shapes and forms, so finding a cut that suits you should not be a problem. The same goes for finding a style. From rock chic to classical elegance, there is a dress for every style.

7. Don't forget about 'formal' clothing items 

By formal clothing items I mean anything you would wear for formal meetings, special occasions or office. Most of us have shirts, blouses, dresses, blazers that fall into the dressed up category. Sometimes we do not wear them as often as we could. There is no reason why we should wait to be invited to a wedding so we could wear our best blazer. 


8. Opt for luxurious fabrics

Luxurious fabrics such as velvet, silk or satin will always make an outfit seem more feminine. I mentioned formal clothing as a way to create more feminine clothing in my previous note, and we might notice that often the art of the appeal is in the fabric. Moreover, when we think about formal clothing, there is often a connotations of a special type of fabric. Cotton, suede and denim are considered casual materials, while silk for example is considered a more luxurious material. Inspect your closet. Find those luxurious fabrics and think of a way to wear them.

9.  Suit up and don't forget a pair of nice heels


Wearing a classical suit is always a good idea. Whether it is a pants plus blazer or skirt plus blazer, a nice suit adds elegance into every look. If you want to look extra feminine when you are wearing a suit, do not forget to wear dressed up shoes, it does not matter whether it is a pair of heels or a pair of fancy flats, what matters is they match the suit and make the outfit more polished.

10. Vintage clothing- the obvious feminine choice

Vintage fashion bloggers and models can be your perfect inspiration. Yes, vintage can be the best place to look for feminine garments, especially vintage clothing from the fifties and earlier. Be it second hand, inherited, bought or whatever, a vintage clothing item can add femininity in our closet. There are many vintage shops out there, but if you are not in the mood for shopping, you can always ask your mothers and grandmothers, family members and friends and see if they have some item they would like to get rid off.  

11. Faux fur or wool lining for jackets and coats

Faux fur/wool lining is a great way to keep warm. Such jackets and coats can be your best friends during the winter months. Take this faux leather coat with faux fur lining that I'm wearing. It's super warm. I could literally wear a tank top under this thing and still be warm. I'm not kidding. I know I said that layering is everything, but sometimes when you find the perfect jacket or coat, you don't need to layer that much. Just pick a nice dress or a jumper and you're ready to go. 


Dress: DIY (available for sale here) / Boots, Coat and Bag: Not branded


Comments

  1. Such an amazing outfit! I'm bit jealous of weather in your country - here it's like we wear 10 sweaters just to feel warm :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. here it is cold right now, but the cold probably won't last that long. Most of the time, it is quite warm.

      Delete
  2. This is such a perfect example of how we can still look nice even in the cold weather. Your husband is a keeper....your coat is just gorgeous and is absolutely perfect for you.
    I love that you enjoy wearing dresses and skirts, even for an outdoor outing like this. I've been known to layer 2 pairs of tights which is helpful in these cases!!!
    XOOX
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. E si, non è facile rimanere femminili e stilose quando le temperature sono molto fredde, ma tu ci sei riuscita alla perfezione!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a stylish look, Ivana! I love every tips you mention here in the post. My fav would be the accessories part since it can elevate a look in sec! x
    have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your coat looks sunning and so warm! You layer so expertly! I feel I struggle a bit with winter layers as I never get a lot of practice - winter doesn't hang around long here, haha! :)


    Hope that you had a wonderful weekend :) Our summer heatwave is continuing so we spent a lot of it indoors in the aircon, haha!

    Away From The Blue Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is indeed! Thank you...and it definitely took me practice to get it right, I used to be hopeless at winter styling.

      Delete
  6. Thanks a lot :D

    nice tips and cool combos :)

    NEW TIPS POST | MEN’S MAKEUP: MORE BEAUTY, LESS DARAMA, PLEASE..
    InstagramFacebook Official PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic tips. I love this coat on you, so elegant and it reminds me of old movies as well. What a stunning view across at this place, how wonderful. I would definitely sit there for a very long time enjoying the moment. I love that. I hope you had a wonderful weekend and your week will be bliss xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you darling. The view is perfect to stand there and just enjoy the moment.

      Delete
  8. Il tuo cappotto è stupendo!! Sia il colore che il modello valorizza molto la tua figura!

    https://nettaredimiele.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cold and sunny is more pleasant.
    I liked your look and the photos were amazing! :)

    https://www.heyimwiththeband.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved Halda, it is so perfect for pictures, also fond of your furry coat, especially the colour...
    www.stylebasket.in
    Instagram:- stylebasket24

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking fabulous, Ivana! Love that coat of yours! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, you and me both! I can imagine we're both VERY excited for the warmer months of they ear to arrive as soon as possible haha. On a brighter note, your winter outfit here is fabulous! The faux fur trim around the head looks so cosy :)

    aglassofice.com x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look stuning in thos coat, Ivana, and the views behind the lake is breathtaking. Beautiful pictures and great tips about dressing up. Happy Monday dear. xx

    Nina's Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Ivana, wow, the coat your husband gifted to you is super beautiful! And you combined it perfect together with the midi dress you sewed by your own! Your husband really know what suits you :) You are right - we really should go outside each day when possible. With your desease this is for sure not always possible but I'm still full of admiration about your attitude. You are so brave!
    And the place you have chosen as location as definitely an incredible view. It is interesting that the lake doesn't have a name.
    Further I agree to all of your tips. Personally, I swear especially on underwear made from wool, cashmere and silk :) For me this works fantastic!
    Have a happy week!
    xx Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos and amazing place! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Io adoro passare il tempo all'aperto quindi per me non è certo un sacrificio uscire di casa (soprattutto se c'è il sole), dato che tra l'altro sono una persona calorosa che quindi difficilmente soffre molto il freddo, però, come hai detto tendo a mettere molto meno spesso abiti e gonne in inverno, più che altro perchè con un paio di pantaloni ed un maglione fai molto prima...
    Però ci farò più attenzione da ora in poi e prenderò spunto da te che sei sempre così elegante e femminile! Il tuo look è bellissimo e molto elegante, e soprattutto a prova di freddo!
    Stai benissimo!
    Baci!
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. quando c'e sole, il freddo non mi fa sentire male. Mi piacciano giorni inverni con la sole e il freddo (perche con un outfit caldo, il freddo non e' un problema), ma la combinazione di pioggia e il freddo ne mi piace neache un po!

      Delete
  17. Maybe the bag is not branded but I like a lot!! :)
    Nice outfit dear, do we follow each other?
    My Fifty Shades Fashion Blog
    My Instagram
    My G+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are already following one another.

      Delete
  18. Thanks for sharing these tips against a beautiful backdrop of Halda. Dressing feminine when it's cold tends to be a challenge for me since I don't deal well with the cold and want to bundle up as much as possible. You have illustrated some very practical tips that make it possible. I think accessories as well as feminine details can go a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Ivana
    You are quite right sometimes it's not easy our life and no one has it all, this reminds me a story of the Portuguese woman most desired by the Portuguese men, she has everything, work, money and fame she is the Portuguese Chiara Ferragni and recently said in an interview that since she divorced her husband 8 years ago she never had any one more, she only loves her ex-husband.
    Your coat is very beautiful and looks beautiful with or without high heels and your husband has very good taste. Nice tips well very good tips!!
    take care
    Marisa

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is true. In reference to that famous lady, I think some women love only once in their life so it is hard for them when they lose the person they love.

      Delete
  20. You look amazing Ivana! This is a beautiful outfit to wear on cold days!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your outfit is so lovely! Every winter season, I get so sloppy with getting dressed that I forget to look decent. Thank you for sharing your tips :)!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your husband did well. I think that is a lovely coat on you. And it looks really warm. I always find I prefer styling in winter than summer. There's so many options but you can risk looking a little less effeminate. For me I love wearing boots with heels.

    Sxx
    daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is indeed a lovely feminine winter look and the tips that you shared are wonderful. I especially like the tips about wearing your special-occasion items more often and the point about accessories. The right accessory can really transform a look.

    I also really like the philosophy of working out when you are physically able and not worrying about it when not. I think I need to adopt this in my life too :)

    Kathrin | Polar Bear Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when we can't, we can't... we shouldn't stress about it.

      Delete
  24. Thanks a lot :D

    have an amazing day my friend

    NEW FASHION POST | MICRO-TRENDS THAT YOU SHOULD FOLLOW ... FOR MODERN WOMEN
    InstagramFacebook Official PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks fir the useful tips! The pictures are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Ivana - such a great tips . So stunning pictures my dear- this are is such a magical and full of nature xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. You look great!

    http://www.henatayeb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a beautiful place. I agree, there is something about heels that make looks a bit more feminine.
    https://www.nancyugo.com/2019/01/asos-haul-2019-part-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. Świetny post <3 uwielbiam twojego bloga <3 zostaję tu na dłużej :D obserwuje i zapraszam do mnie <3 http://mysterious-natalia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your outfit!!!
    thanks for sharing!!

    http://www.itzytrendy.com/2019/01/mi-amigo.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great tips and I adore your outfit! That coat is really beautiful, it's great gift and you look so lovely in it!
    In my country is terribly cold during these months, although is normal here, since childhood, I can not get used to it.

    Have a wonderful evening and stay warm!:)

    jointyicroissanty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I'm sure the extreme cold is not easy to get used to.

      Delete
  32. Thanks a lot :D

    have an amazing day, my dear :*

    NEW REVIEW POST | WOOOW, THIS INCREDIBLE FINAL RESULT!
    InstagramFacebook Official PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ivana quanto mi piaci vestita così, quel cappotto è semplicemente stupendo! E che bello quel lago anche se non ha un nome! Giuro che prima o poi vengo dalle tue parti!
    Don't Call Me Fashion Blogger
    Facebook
    Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh my goodness, what a breathtakingly beautiful place. I also love your coat.
    www.sophieatieno.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Getting dressed in the cold is not always easy, I have difficulty. That's why I like summer a lot more.
    Oh, how nice that you liked the band Rise Against, they're great!

    https://www.heyimwiththeband.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow!! This look is super from head to toe!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. you look so beautiful with an excellent outfit
    greeting- evi erlinda

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love the look dear, so cozy and chic! That coat feels so comfy too.
    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you for such a wonderful post! Really interesting!
    This is amazing outfit! Unreal beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh that jacket is absolutely fabulous and I love this color fur detail. Your style is always so on point

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love the scenic background! Your tips are wonderful.

    xo, Maria
    https://www.miamiamine.com/

    ReplyDelete
  42. For sure, you've done a pretty good job with this feminine outfit, dear Ivana! I love your style and how you paired your amazing DIY-dress with the flat boots and this lovely brown coat! You really have an attentive husband ;-)
    You know, I like to wear feminine outfits in winter too and I follow some of your advices anyway. I love to wear skirts and dresses, no matter how cold it is and I have to admit, that my low heel boots are much more comfortable than the High Heels ;-) On tuesday I went shopping for a ball gown (yeah!) with a friend and I just picked up a nice knitted dress, my low heels boots and my black coat with a fake fur hood. Very simple but also feminine and very comfortable :-)

    The landscape around Mostar is really georgeous. I am very sorry to hear that you are not doing so well and hope that you will soon feel better.

    Love, Nadine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much. Yes, my husband is lovely that way. Low boots are more comfortable and sometimes they can look just as nice. I saw your outfit, it's lovely!

      Delete
  43. I struggle to dress very feminine in winter because I want to snuggle up in warm clothes most of all, and a lot of them come baggy. But I have some really nice black high heel boots that go up and over my knees - and they help me to still feel stylish and feminie in the winter time! Great post x

    ReplyDelete
  44. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

SPRING IN MOSTAR CITY: A VINTAGE PURPLE BLAZER PAIRED WITH A FLORAL DRESS

SPRING IN SPLIT : 3 OUTFITS, ONE WORN FOR AN ART EXHIBITION

PLUS 30 WAYS TO WEAR A BABY BLUE DRESS AND LEOPARD HEELS (OUTFIT POST, MOSTAR)

Island Hvar inspired this necklace (outfit post)/ Otok Hvar je nadahnuće za ovu ogrlicu (odjevna kombinacija)

VISIT THE MAGNIFICENT MOUNTAIN LAKE BLIDINJE WITH ME!

Let there be colour! (outfit post) / Neka bude boja (odjevna kombinacija)

Sights to see, places to visit / Znamenitosti za vidjeti, mjesta za posjetiti -----Goranci

10 STYLE LESSONS LEARNED FROM MALENA/ MONICA BELLUCCI

Summertime in Mostar (black and white dress) / Ljeto u Mostaru (crno bijela haljina)