A FRAMED AND VARNISHED SEASCAPE + OUTFIT POST

 Selecting a frame and a varnish for a canvas can feel like adding finishing touches. It's like choosing accessories to an outfit, something that can make it look even better and/or more polished. Today I'll show you the varnishing and framing done on a seascape painting I already shared with you (more details HERE). This canvas depicting Zavala on island Hvar has found a new home and is no longer with me. It was hard saying goodbye to it, because I invested so much time, energy and love into making it. Before gifting it away, I had it framed. I usually have my paintings framed in Michelangelo gallery in Mostar.  This is an outfit I wore to take this painting to the gallery.

VARNISHING THE CANVAS- Varnishing serves to protect the colour and the painting itself from the harmful influences of light, dirt and so on. I'm still too new to varnishing to offer any definite advice. All I can give is general advice: make sure the painting is clean before applying the varnish, make sure your brush is clean, layer the varnish carefully, do it outside or put a protective mask on and so on. I used an acrylic varnish for this painting because it was painted with acrylic paints. If you use some other media, adjust your varnish to the media used. 


CHOOSING THE FRAME FOR THE CANVAS- I choose the same kind of frame I always go for. I feel these white wooden shabby chic frames work really well with my seascapes. Framing is usually quite expensive business, so make sure you choose a frame you really like, that fits both the painting and the interior the painting will be hanged in. Bellow is a picture of my canvas in its new home. 




THE STORY OF AN OUTFIT- HOW I WORE IT BEFORE?
THE STRAW HAT-(no name)-How I wore it before? HERE.
THE WHITE TUNICS (old)- How I wore it before? HERE
THE WHITE PENCIL SKIRT(vintage)- How I wore it before? HERE
THE BROWN BAG (Borsa store, old)- How I wore it before?HERE
THE TROPICAL PRINT SANDALS (Art brand)- How I wore this pair before? HERE


Thank you for stopping by and reading. Have a lovely day!


Comments

  1. Beautiful results! Thanks for taking us through the process! Love this summer outfit too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful seascape! Also, love how you put your outfit together too. So summery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful painting, Ivana! I am really love your seascape painting series.
    The way of varnish is interesting, and I agree it is like the finishing touch for outfit!!
    Your blue belt that is similar color to the painting is so elegant on the white blouse<3

    akiko
    https://kimonosnack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear. The belt is a part of a vintage dress I got from my aunt.

      Delete
  4. I think you are a great artist and you made a beautiful seascape painting.
    Kisses.
    Waiting for your next post.

    You are welcome to visit my blogs:
    www.Exam-Cares.blogspot.com
    www.HolidaysView.blogspot.com
    www.DaNasib.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever varnished a painting. I have done oil painting, which doesn't really need a varnish, and a few acrylic paintings. The only sealant I've ever used on art is a spray lacquer.

    That person is very lucky to receive such a wonderful gift! Wow, that is a spectacular painting. If you lived closer, I would buy one - I LOVE your seascapes - but being so far away, the cost would be prohibitive to ship (plus I would worry about the canvas being damaged coming overseas).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never used varnish with oil paintings either. I saw that varnish for oil paints is sold in art stores, but I don't see the point because from what I know oil paintings last forever and always keep their shine. I have never seen an oil painting losing its shine and colour vibrancy. That's the whole advantage of traditional oil paints, I think. Maybe it is different with newer kinds, I really don't know. However, for acrylics I do prefer to varnish them. Nowadays, there are also varnish sprays but I didn't have good experience with them. I prefer the liquid form.

      Delete
  6. Sembra così reale quel mare, sei bravissima!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself


    My Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your painting is so beautiful and I really like the finished result with it framed up on your wall - you're right the frame works so well with your painting :)

    Hope you are having a great weekend :) We went to Australia Zoo yesterday, so much fun :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
  8. So Creative - The Canvas Is Alive With Personality - Well Done

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hermoso resultado te quedo genial. Eres una gran artista y estas muy elegante cuando fuiste a la galería. Te mando un beso

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I never thought about the next steps after you paint it Ivana. The framing is expensive, I know that from personal experience. I just love the white one you used.
    XOOX
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. The landscape looks amazing and the white frame is indeed the best option for it. The painting is lovely on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Такая красивая картина! Получилось очень классно!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your seascape painting is looking fantastic framed and in its new home. I bet the lucky recipients were delighted with it, although I do understand it is hard for you to let go of your precious art work. I do hope you are well, and having a great weekend, Ivana. Sending hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello dear Ivana,

    As usual your collection of sea and water scenarios are fantastic, I am sure you will bring a lot of new interesting paintins for this collection. I think you're getting better at catching the light and the texture of the water, it feels like it really moves!

    Now atalking about the varnishing is important to add that final touch and keep the artwork in a good condition for more time! I think is sometimes that we must not forget while painting or using another resources. Obviously the frame is another important detail, loved that you kept it simple but significant :)

    Pablo
    www.HeyFungi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, varnishing and framing does make a difference.

      Delete
  15. Absolutely beautiful seascape Ivana! I can see and hear the sea moving. Its new owners are very lucky. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks amazing, you must be so pleased :-D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful sea painting! Looks amazing. Colors of sea and sky beautiful. I mean beautiful blue. Thanks for the sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Such a surprising, and I really really love this post. It's so good and awesome. I hope that you continue to do such types posts like this in the future also

    Wholesale Amber Jewelry

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are a great artist who has excellent artesian knowledge with amazing dressing sense. Your varnished seascape looks so much authentic and beautiful. Thank you for sharing this wonderful article. I am attracted so much to your work. Plaster Jaipur Handcrafted Jewelry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

SPRING IN MOSTAR CITY: A VINTAGE PURPLE BLAZER PAIRED WITH A FLORAL DRESS

SPRING IN SPLIT : 3 OUTFITS, ONE WORN FOR AN ART EXHIBITION

WELCOMING SPRING WITH 15 IDEAS TO COMBAT SPRING FATIGUE!

Let there be colour! (outfit post) / Neka bude boja (odjevna kombinacija)

Painting of the day (A Lioness) / Slika dana (Lavica)

21 WAY TO STYLE A MINI FLORAL DRESS (FOR ALL SEASONS)

Summertime in Mostar (black and white dress) / Ljeto u Mostaru (crno bijela haljina)

VISIT THE MAGNIFICENT MOUNTAIN LAKE BLIDINJE WITH ME!

Sights to see, places to visit / Znamenitosti za vidjeti, mjesta za posjetiti -----Goranci