FASHION ILLUSTRATION FRIDAY: TWO PENCIL STUDIES OF A MODEL

Hello! Time for another Friday Fashion Illustration.  Today I'll share with you two pencils drawings I made using a photograph of a beautiful curvy model Ivana Miliošević as a reference. I drew two pencil illustrations of her. One illustration was a pencil portrait practice and the other illustration was a body study. I made these two illustrations just for practice, but I decided to share them because I documented the WIP (work in process) with photographs and I know some of you find it interesting. I used a photograph from a catalogue as a reference (the name of the photographer wasn't listed in the magazine, or at any rate I couldn't find it, perhaps because it was a collage of photographs that was printed on that page in that magazine). Scroll down to read about my art process. On the very bottom of the page you will be able to read an article with some of my thoughts on body positivity (if that sort of thing interests you). 

PENCIL SKETCH- THE PROCESS
Bellow you can see my sketching process. I like using circles to give me a sense of proportions. Some artists use other geometrical shapes, but for me circles are often the best thing to use. 

TURNING A PENCILSKETCH INTO A DIGITAL ILLUSTRATION - I experimented a bit colouring this pencil sketch with Paint 3D but I'm not sure what I was doing because I'm not very knowledgeable about digital art. I find it uncanny how real the face looks once coloured this way (I mean digitally). You knows maybe some day I'll learn more about digital art. 

COLOURED PENCIL SKETCH PRACTICE- Bellow is a fashion illustration done with coloured pencils. As you can see, I was definitely out of practice when I drew this one, the blending of my coloured pencils is terrible and my proportions aren't perfect either. I definitely need to work more on my coloured pencils skills. 



TIME FOR WRITING- MY DIVIDED OPINION ON BODY POSITIVITY AND THE WEIGHT TALK

Naturally, I find women of all sizes inspirational and beautiful. I think most people who are into art do. There is something about appreciating or doing art that makes you appreciate the human form as such. Art can be wonderful in that it often inspired a very natural attitude towards the body. I can honestly say that I'm inspired by women of all sizes. However, that might not be the case for all. Some are more inspired by one type, some by other. I don't see any point in forcing anything down anyone's throat as some people in the body positivity community seem to do. People will always have different tastes.  Loving yourself doesn't mean forcing everyone to find your attractive. If you ask me, looking for that kind of validation in others is always pointless, no matter how you look at it. 

I feel there are a few kinds of worrying behaviour patterns connected to body positivity, but before I speak of that I think we can all agree that science has proven that excess weight is linked to a series of medical problem. Obesity takes lives and cripples the modern medical system. Now, back to the subject. I feel there is an alarming number of people who body shame others. There are definitely people who use 'health talk' as an excuse to body shame those with excess weight. However, there are also those who take 'fat acceptance' too far and accuse every doctor a fat-phobic. Those who us body positivity as an excuse to promote harmful behaviour. Those who preach body positivity but only see their body type as being 'real'. Both behaviour patterns are dangerous. 

Internet is full of people complaining that their GP offended them by telling them to loose weight- when it's literally in the doctor's job description. I can understand when people get annoyed by others making comments about their weight. Women are more targeted more in this sense. I personally think that it is always unpolite to comment on other people's weight except perhaps when we're talking with a close friend who wants our opinion. Nevertheless, I cannot understand people being annoyed with their doctors talking with them about their weight because the doctors are just doing their job. There must be limits to political correctness. PC talk cannot and mustn't be a substitute for using our head.  We have to let health professionals working in the medical system to voice their opinions freely without being made to walk on eggshells all the time. I'm not saying that every doctor on the planet is kind, but most of them do know what they are talking about and are better informed than general public.

Another thing that troubles me with the whole 'weight' situation is that people are becoming increasingly polarized, always fighting about the question of weight, especially so when it comes to women. There is so much obsession and negative comments made about female bodies on every day level and it doesn't seem normal to me anymore. The curious thing is that you even have those kind of 'body shaming' people in all kinds of 'accepting communities' and many of these harmful comments seem to come from women. It has become very common to body shame thin people, something that isn't spoken about. Being skinny is a state both despised and coveted. Another issue is that healthy weight is becoming a rarity. Often I can see examples of women with healthy weight being accused of being unrealistic and not what 'real women' look like. As if you need to be overweight to be a real woman. That kind of talk has its dangers as well. Every size is beautiful but not every size is healthy. If you really want to love your body, you should give it what it really needs, not what you think it needs. We all equally subject to laws of physics, biology and chemistry. The laws of science won't stop existing because someone doesn't like them or find them politically correct. I  think it is important to see bodies as beautiful no matter what state it might be in- but at the same time we need to be aware that in the majority of cases, we are the ones responsible for our weight. 

I think it is wonderful that we have full size/ plus size/ curvy models, whatever you want to call them. However, most of them are not really alternative models of beauty- as they are sometimes presented. Most of them are attractive young girls with perfectly symmetrical faces. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Symmetrical faces are perhaps easier to photograph and at any rate are often perceived as more beautiful. There's really no fighting that and yet sometimes people are attracted to unique facial features. I don't think we'll ever see a vast majority of 'ordinary-looking' models as by definition they should stand out somehow. I mean it is great there are many different kind of models today and that mature models are becoming more frequent. However,  modelling as a profession is subject to changes so that is not that surprising.  Generally speaking, I think people overthink the whole modelling thing. It is not bad influence to have people of different sizes modelling. There is a market for all kinds of models and influencers.  The only problematic thing is when some people try to pass of the claim that you can be morbidly obese and healthy- because no doctor would agree with that. 

I'm not against plus plus plus size models either. I also think there is no point in pretending that most of the Western world doesn't come in larger sizes now. One of the things that attracted me to reading fashion blogs in the first place (all those years ago) is because you could see (and still can) diversity. There are all kinds of bodies in fashion blogging and in that sense it is a great community. Curvy fashion blogs are a great idea if you ask me. We should encourage everyone to have fun with style and fashion. A person of any size can be a fashion icon nowadays- and that's wonderful.  Moreover, people will always need clothes and the way clothes will be made will always depend on the market. Nothing wrong with that. A good designer or a tailor should always know how to design for every size.

You know when that whole body positive movement happened, I was very enthusiastic about it but soon I was disappointed with the lack of diversity in it. In particular, I don't support those individuals in the 'body positive' movement who accuse all doctors and scientists of being fat phobic or those claiming that someone who is clearly morbidly obese is perfectly healthy. You can perhaps be overweight and healthy but nobody is morbidly obese and healthy because being obese is a medical condition. As a chronically ill person myself, I sometimes feel like shouting: 'Don't throw away your health, you don't know what it is like being ill!'. While I fully support everyone accepting their body, I also think that as a  society we need to take more responsibility for our health and our bodies. It is nice that people are finding plus size role models to look to or relate to (within any kind of movements), but at the end of the day, we need to accept responsibility for our health. We also have to let health professionals do their job and let them speak of the topics they need to talk about. Truly caring about somebody includes caring about their health (and weight too if that gets into the way of health).

My conclusion would be that we should respect everyone's  journey. Live and let other live. Lot of people struggle with weight nowadays. There is no doubt in my mind that maintaining a healthy weight is important for our overall health. Excess weight (or not weighting enough) are conditions potentially very dangerous for our health. That being said, obviously weight shouldn't be our only measure as a person. Fortunately, we are more than just our bodies. We're complex creatures. Making someone feel like they are less then they are because of how much they weigh is ridiculous and plain mean.  At the same time, weight isn't a topic that should always be avoided.  If your loved one is struggling with weight and you're worried about them, naturally you will want to talk with them, to support and help them. Making unsolicited comments about everyone's weight is rude, but there are contexts where talk about weight not makes sense, but it can mean we care. The whole 'weight' talk  is not something that should be avoided at all costs, but there is a time and a place for it. 

Comments

  1. Love your sketches! I think being a healthy weight is important as weighting too little or too much can often lead to illness (I know this isn't always the case and plenty of healthy people are naturally slimmer or bigger. I mean when unhealthy weight is a result of an unhealthy lifestyle!). I don't think what someone weighs is important in terms of as measure of a person, but it's important to look after your body - it's the only one you've got!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Corinne for your comment. I do agree. Someone weight can never be their measure of a person, it's just one thing among others and not a defying one for sure. I agree that many healthy people come in different sizes and even if someone has unhealthy weight, it's not on us to hold it against them.

      Delete
  2. Such a wonderful post. I loved your commentary. I do love character study and though, we are not perfects there are so many things that make us who we are. From our smile, our teeth and our complexion and of course, weight. Thank you for showing us the artistic process!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. Love the pencil drawing as well the digital. So glad you are doing this and learning so much. Amazing job! Thanks for your write up on body shaming, as well. Hope you have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hermosa entrada yo creo que una debe amarse así misma . Y cuidarse, pero sin llegar vivir de estereotipos y sin juzgar a nadie . Me gusto tu dibujo. Te mando un beso

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everything you said! For many years I was active on a slimming forum and for a big part I was a moderator too. It was incredible the things I heard there, including things I was told. The best example is that, in the same week, someone told me that I am too skinny and someone else told me that I still need to lose a bit of weight! How incredible is that? Well, it happened because many people just say what they want, without thinking of how others might feel, and, of course, that is none of their business.

    I think some people are attractive, both men and women, only a small minority, but why does that matter? We can't all believe that all other people are attractive, they can be funny, cute, lovely, we might want to spend time with them, but not find them physically attractive and that's fine.

    As for doctors, I don't envy them. They should be able to talk about weight in the same manner that they talk about wanting to have a baby or not, smoking, or what someone eats. I love your post and also the illustration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anca. Yes, many people take too many liberties in commenting on other people's appearance. At any rate, we are much more than our appearance. Obsessing over what other think about our appearance is never good but it's good to take care of ourselves for reasons that go beyond that. I think this can be a difficult subject for doctors as well but it is something they must do as it is a part of their job.

      Delete
  6. Deeply lovely illustrations. They capture an instantly captivating sense of the model's inner light.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great artwork and like the progress :-D

    I think people should worry about their own body and life and leave others alone! Judging people on their weight or looks is awful....so many nice people out there getting judged! I think your body will tell you when it is time to get fit or eat healthy. Certainly for me....my knees get really sore if I am too heavy. I have battled with my weight since having a baby. We should be happy with our body and if we aren't then do something about it, instead of complaining and judging other people. As long as you are healthy, I guess that is the main thing? I know it is a cliche...but everyone is different...and that's a good thing :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It is good that we are all different. I also think that it we listen to our body carefully, it will tell us what we need.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful portriat, I love both the pencil sketch and the addition of colour. I'm not aware of that model but she's a beautiful gitl regardless of size. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really familiar with her either but I saw this photograph in the magazine and thought she was really pretty.

      Delete
  9. That portrait you made of that beautiful model is very accomplished Ivana!
    Although I don't know her, I don't think she looks curvy, let alone a plus model. She looks average size to me. I think most rake thin models are too gaunt to be called beautiful.
    I absolutely hate it when people are judged by the way they look. I'm sure that being morbidly obese is a health risk (as is being too thin, for that matter!) but not everybody who is what vanity calls a plus size should be called obese. Being happy in your body - be it curvy or not - is what's most important and I think we should do away with the notion that being thin is something women should strive to achieve, as it is more unhealthy in my book than being a so-called plus size! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know many people who are naturally painfully thin but it is hard to know when it comes to models- some of them might be under pressure to be thinner than they normally are. It is also true that some plus size models wear pretty 'regular' sizes. Not everyone can look thin, some people can have perfectly healthy weight and still look curvy as there are really many different body types.

      Delete
  10. That is a beautiful pencil sketch and it's nice to see how you edited it digitally too :)

    For me I've been extremely unhealthy while at my smallest weight so I know that weight doesn't equal health in any way. I agree it's good to see different bodies and sizes - we are all different and unique and it's a shame when just one ideal is the one that is pushed/promoted. Blogs are great as everyone has a chance to show off their style! :)

    Hope you are having a good weekend :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
  11. First I always love seeing the work in progress like this Ivana. And your views on the world and weight are always spot on. You have so much wisdom and grace.
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is so exciting process! I haven't drawn circles to sketch, so your process is inspiring!
    I totally agree with you about the social problem of weight. The problem is very very deep...Anyway, I will post about your T-shirt and your arts on my next blog<3

    akiko

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello dear Ivana, love to see a part of the process behind one of your drawings.

    I think you did a really nice job by capturing the essence and expression of Ivana, you're improving a lot when it comes to portraits.... congrats :D!

    And talking about this topic, well it can has a lot of perspectives, and I imagine it can be really complex when it comes to women, since publicity and media tend to tell us about the ideal of a female body type more often (if you compare it to men). I suffered from obesity a few years ago so sometimes the problem could be linked to other elements such as psychological facts or other eating disorders, in the end each situation is so complex and personal that we cannot put a specific label on it. Anyway I feel that both, making other types of bodies visible, but also creating awareness of health (without taking it to extremes) is way too important!

    Thanks as usual for your art and for sharing your ideas with us:)

    Pablo
    Hey Fungi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello
    Now here is a wonderful post, I loved to see your work in progress, very interesting.
    When I was young, I was the target of negative comments regarding my figure, it hurt even more because it was people from my family who said it, I think I am still complex with this, the exposure I make on the blog is a fight against those memories that still hold me back. chase!
    xoox

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always enjoy how you document and share your artistic process. It's very interesting to me how you use circles to give you a sense of proportion when you start out. I wish there was less pressure from the media and fashion industry that being a certain size is more acceptable than another as it just encourages unhealthy habits like eating disorders to try to conform. Being healthy and happy should take precedence no matter your weight. And the best weight is different for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that first pencil sketch - I learned about using proportional lines to do faces and bodies, but circles are so much better! Amazing how different she looks just with the digital skin added.

    Regarding weight - in case you didn't know, I lost over 50 lbs myself over 10 years ago, and worked for Weight Watchers for 9 years. Weight is never an easy topic to discuss for SO many reasons. No one is able to judge another's journey or life - we don't know why X is obese and Y is really slender, and there are so many influencing factors on this with every single person, from modeling after parents' behaviour (hoarding, binging, etc.), to the media influence, to our peers, to our partners (I had a boyfriend who constantly was asking me to lose weight! I lost him instead), to our own brains. Weight is a hugely sensitive topic, and most people are not able to be objective about our bodies.

    I used to attend weekly meetings at WW (before I worked there), and one time when I was maintaining my weight (so, at my goal weight), one of the other people attending the meeting confronted me and said, "You don't belong here"! I was so upset about it - she didn't know me, she didn't know that I'd lost weight, she didn't know anything about what I went through or how difficult it was for me - she just saw a "skinny" person and had to tell me that I didn't belong. Of course, I brought that up in the meeting (a different time, when she wasn't there) and it was good fodder for discussion, but even now it hurts when I think of that. It's like mental illness - just because you can't see doesn't mean it isn't there.

    There is no perfect weight, there is no easy answer - but if people would look at heavy or thin people with a more compassionate and open mind, maybe we could understand that EVERYONE has weight issues somewhere (like everything, it's a spectrum or bell curve). And leave that judgy attitude at the door!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

The Heart of a Woman (an outfit post and a book recommendation / Srce žene (odjevna objava i preporuka knjige)

VISIT STOBREČ WITH ME (CROATIA)+ WIW FOR A FAMILY DINNER

30+ WAYS TO STYLE A PAIR OF JEANS: SUSTAINABLE FASHION

PLUS 30 WAYS TO WEAR A BABY BLUE DRESS AND LEOPARD HEELS (OUTFIT POST, MOSTAR)

VISIT MALTA WITH IVANA- HIKING TALES- THE CLIFFS (PART ONE)

Inspired by...Nadahnuta sa...

OIL PASTELS VS. WATERCOLOUR PENCILS (SPLIT, FIRULE BEACH)

The spring of the river Tihaljina (photography ) / Izvor rijeke Tihaljine (fotografija)

Sights to see, places to visit / Znamenitosti za vidjeti, mjesta za posjetiti -----Goranci