CLASSICAL READING RECOMMENDATIONS: VERGIL, HUGO AND MOLIERE

 Thank you for all your kind messages.  January was somewhat difficult month for me, so I didn't have the time or the energy to post much. My shoulder got better but there were some other issues that needed my attention. Today I will share some reading recommendations with you. We have two more months of winter ahead of us, so I figured that it would be a good idea to share some Winter reading recommendations. Last month, I shared with you my holiday reading list. This month I will focus on the classics as they seem a great choice for Winter months. Some people read more in the colder months, others read more in the warmer ones. I don't really notice any season shifts in my reading schedule, I read all year around.  I love the coziness of reading indoors in Autumn and Winter but I also love to read outdoors in Spring and Summer. If you are looking for something classical to read this Winter, these are my suggestions. Some of these book reviews are from my archives, some are new. My book reviews tend to be long, but I will also grade these books, so you can get the general ideas even if you don't have the time to read my reviews.

AENEID, A LATIN EPIC POEM BY VIRGIL, 5/5

Aeneid is widely considered to be a masterpiece of Latin literature, a work of writing that brought great fame to its writer Virgil. Aeneid is an epic poem in Latin but it has ties with Greek epic poems. Basically, the Aeneid tells the tale of a Trojan epic hero Aeneas (who appears in Iliad as well). The Romans believed (and this belief was cemented thanks to Virgil)  that Aeneas, escaping from Troy, not only settled in Italy but that he was  a mythological founder of the Roman Empire. The epic poem is poignant with a sense of fate. Aeneas, the Trojan hero of this epic poem, travells the seas and lands in a matter similar to Odyssey. Moreover, similar to heroes of Greek myths, Aeneas feels fate (and some gods) leading him towards his destiny and that is to become to founding father of the Roman Empire.  This epic poem isn't short, it comprises 9,896 lines in dactylic hexameter. The epic book is divided into twelve books, the first six covering the story of Aeneas's wanderings from Troy to Italy, and the other six most cover Aeneas' war and following victory over the Latin tribes (with whom his own people will merge becoming the ancient Romans).

When I think of Aeneid, I think of one Summer long ago and one bright fifteen-year-old I taught it to.  Tutoring this classical piece made me revalue it. By that time, I've read Aeneid a number of times and I had a very high opinion about it yet it was that experience of teaching it to somebody that made me see it in a whole new light. I felt like I was reading it for the first time, but still I could remember all those parts that originally moved me the most and it was interesting to observe my emotional reactions to it anew. For clearly, it was a work that was capable of moving me deeply. There are two episodes in Aeneid that I found incredibly moving: Dido's love for Aeneid and the descent into hell. The ancient Greeks and Romans often displayed a pessimistic view of afterlife: 
“So Aeneas pleaded, his face streaming tears.
Three times he tried to fling his arms around his neck,
three times he embraced--nothing...the phantom
sifting through his fingers,
light as wind, quick as a dream in flight.”

Tutoring classical literature can be quite challenging, as it often happens that those who search for a tutor are the ones who are having the most problems grasping the subject matter. Interesting thing about literature is that those students who refuse to read it are often the those who are best capable to understand it. Any brows raised yet? Who are writers after all? Aren’t they those who choose to search for additional meanings and interpretations of this world? Those who are not satisfied with it? Those who are ready to rebel? Our education sometimes makes us prejudices in the sense that we think we know it all. Our knowledge of the historical facts prevents us from enjoying a work of art.

 As I sometimes say, I don't follow the logic ‘Augustus Ceaser -ordered -this -book -to- praise- the- Romans -so- the- writer- must - have- been -a -sell out’ thing.  Most great works of art have been ordered by someone. People idolize art sometimes, forgetting that art is always created within a social system of some sort. I couldn’t care less about the fact this poem was 'ordered' and I honestly think it is irrelevant. You either enjoy these kind of classical writer or not. A book is either a success or is it not. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, there are no moral or immoral books, just badly written and well written ones. This hasn’t nothing to do with the fact whether a book was commissioned or not. It has got to do with the person who wrote it, if the author is an artist determined to create art and knows how to write, then the book usually ends up being art.

If you ask me, the fact that it is supposed to be written to praise ancient Romans is not important at all and it doesn’t take or add anything to/from Aeneid. Don’t use it as an excuse for giving up on reading it. If you don’t like it because it didn’t move you that’s fine, but I think this epic deserves a fair change. I believe it deserves to be read with an open mind and heart.

It is a curious thing that sometimes happens with classics - we forget to really read them.  We forget to experience them because we think we know them. We read about them and by the time we get to reading them, we’re so engrossed with all that background information that we forget the fundamental joy of reading and that is reading for love of reading. What matters is that it is amazing epic poem written by a talented writer. In other words, it is the writer that matters.

Speaking of writers, I imagine a lot of them were rebellious teens at some point. Those straight A student will read the book, cover to cover and learn the basic historical facts about it, but will they be moved? Will they cry when Aeneid leaves a woman who loves him to fulfil what he sees as his duty? Will they offer new interpretations? Those that are really new and fresh, not a sum of something critically acclaimed literature professors shared most recently?

Perhaps it is an appropriate irony that it often happens that intelligent but rebellious students avoid reading assignments, just because they find it hard to connect to the subject matter. Because they are put off by the fact that it is a classic. That is really understandable, because when one is fifteen, Aeneid may seem boring. That is why a good teacher must be prepared to invest a bit more time to get their students into reading it. Let’s take Aeneid, for example. Yes, we could talk about all kind of literary interpretations, about its background, about its historical context but wouldn’t it be nice to talk about it like readers? Like people who were genuinely moved by it?

I must have read Aeneid at least twice that Summer I was tutoring it. Surprisingly, trying hard to concrete on every important aspect of it didn’t take anything away from the joy of reading it. That is the marvellous thing about literature. It really doesn’t matter how long ago it was written, great literature always makes us feel a certain way. 'Time is the greatest distance between two places', said Tennessee Williams and while that is certainly the case when it comes to our daily lives and human relationships, such rules do not apply to literature. You know you won’t be less of an intellectual if you admit that you were actually moved by a literary classic. That is my opinion anyway, if you don’t open emotionally (and not just intellectually) to some piece of writing, you’re bound to miss out.

I’m not going to say that every single verse in Aeneid left me in awe. The poetry is certainly beautiful, but the narrative, the characters and the overall story might feel a bit alien to a modern reader. Nevertheless, if one is willing to just forget about all that and READ it, I’m sure that one will find that the praise Aeneid has enjoyed is well deserved. Sure, there are events in it that aren’t terribly interesting and parts that were an obvious praise of ‘you-know-who’ and so on. That all being said, it is a book I enjoyed reading. It is a book I’ve read numerous times and that is the most honest of recommendations.

“Facilis descensus Averno:
Noctes atque dies patet atri ianua Ditis;
Sed revocare gradium superasque evadere ad auras,
Hoc opus, hic labor est.
(The gates of Hell are open night and day;
Smooth the descent, and easy is the way:
But to return, and view the cheerful skies,
In this task and mighty labor lies.)”

Don’t take my word for it, go on and read it yourself, if you already haven’t. If you have, consider rereading it. Aren’t you curious why it is such a brilliant piece of writing? Why it inspired so many writers? Why it has been considered one of the most important works of European literature? Why did Don’t be afraid to take up this one, find a good translation and enjoy. And if you happen to be able to read in original ( for there are people who can read in Latin), lucky you. 

THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME, A NOVEL BY VICTOR HUGO 4/5

The Hunchback of Notre-Dame is a story full of passions and drama but at the same time wonderfully human. What I like most about this novel is the tragic aspect of it. There is something in it that reminds me of the Greek tragedies. While reading it one can feel that us humans are just pawns in the hands of fate, not able to see what we should do- until it is too late. The outcasts in this novel are easy to sympathize with- Esmeralda and Quasimodo. One praised for her beauty, the other shun for his ugliness. Contrasted on the outside, but on the inside they have much in common. They are both as naïve as children. Poor Esmeralda! Her identity is a fascinating subject, I kind of wished it was explored more. Esmeralda was raised in a culture (or subculture if you will) by a race that isn't her own. She is kind but confused, as naïve as any girl of sixteen. I felt as much empathy for her as for Quasimodo. Their developing friendship was touching to read about.

There are many things I like about this novel. The descriptions of Paris are wonderful. The novel is very inclusive. In the manner of Balzac, the novel features characters from all classes, from the lowest to the highest. I love how the Notre-Dame cathedral plays an important role in this novel. The cathedral is not important only in setting the scene and creating the atmosphere, but in a symbolic way as well. I read somewhere that Hugo's book influenced the work being done on the cathedral so there is a direct link between the two that still exists. I can certainly see why this novel was so influential in its time- and in more ways than one. However, even if we take its historical significance aside, it is a fascinating read on its own. A classic that has stood the test of time. In fact, I'm thinking of rereading this one.

LES MISERABLES, A NOVEL BY VICTOR HUGO 5/5

Among the books I read by this author, I consider Les Misérables  the best one. There is so much one can take from this novel. What Is Love? I have met in the streets a very poor young man who was in love. His hat was old, his coat worn, the water passed through his shoes and the stars through his soul.”
It was back in 2015 that I read Les Misérables, but I'm considering a reread. I remember I published some photographs walking around with the book on my blog in September, 2015 (link bellow).
https://modaodaradosti.blogspot.com/2... I now realized that I have only written a few words about it in that post so I wanted to write a little more. I read Les Misérables in one night. I simply couldn't put it down. I stayed up reading until the dawn. From start to finish, the novel captivated me. It is not often that a book engrosses me as much as Les Misérables by Victor Hugo did. Considering how much time I spend reading that is saying a lot. Naturally, I always love reading classics, but this novel is either on a whole new level or it came to me at the perfect time in my life. Perhaps both is true. Either way, this novel stayed with me. 

There are so many lessons in it that we can take to heart. I suppose that sometimes the timing is also important. I felt that this book came at the right time for me to fully appreciate it. I was in a melancholic sort of mood and this novel gave me so much hope and inspiration. The novel spans a number of years, starting in 1815 and culminating in the 1832 and  describes the lives of several characters with the focus on an ex-convict Jean Valjean. Jean is a protagonist of this novel, a reformed convict who adopts orphaned Cosette and finds new meaning in caring for her. Jean's experience of redemption was well described. I loved absolutely everything about this novel not just the characters and the story but also those parts that were historical and philosophical. I really feel this book has so much to teach us. Maybe some parts of it (towards the end) are a wee sentimental or predictable, but for most part the novel is written to perfection. This is a true classic if there is one. Even among other classics it stands out. Highly recommended!





TARTUFFE, A PLAY BY MOLIERE 5/5

The edition I own contains two plays by Moliere. I read and liked both of them, but today I'll review just Tartuffe. The reason for that is that I have read Tartuffe fairly recently and it's been a while since I read The Misanthrope. Anyhow, Tartuffe is a play that criticizes religious hypocrisy. This lovely play starts when a religious hypocrite Tartuffe moves in with one French family and takes over the household. The pater familias Orogon will not listen to reason, he is convinced that Tartuffe is a living saint and fails to see how Tartuffe is using religion to exploit him financially. Orogon will listen to neither his children, nor his wife as they try to warn him. They will have to show him (rather than just tell about ) Tartuffe's true face. Will it be too late?

Moliere did a great job with brining all the characters to live. His satire on religious hypocrites is very precise and straightforward. So credible was the religious satire that it caused the play to be banned! The plot is well written and the story makes sense. Besides the Tartuffe plot (that involves him trying to seduce Orogon's wife and take possession of his home), there is also a subplot that involves Orgon's children, especially his daughter who is promised to a young man she loves but is suddenly being pressured by her father to marry Tartuffe. So, there is a Romeo and Juliet type of subplot as well. There is also a comic servant character that helps to move the plot forward.

As all Moliere's comedies, it is wonderfully written and the comic timing is simply perfect. The play is written in twelve-syllable lines of rhyming couplets - and I really enjoyed that. I like poetic plays. I wish I could read it in original, but alas I don't read in French. As I said, I read Tartuffe in Croatian translation. The edition contains several letters that Moliere wrote to the king of France in defense of Tartuffe play (banned at some point) that were an interesting read on their own.

The ending is possibly the weakest part of this comedy. The deux in machina solution makes it seem less credible, although I see how it was perhaps necessarily. It is a comedy after all, so a happy ending is to be expected. On the other hand, the ending is a lovely example of 'deux in machina' play device being used in a more modern play. All in all, I would recommend this play. It is an easy and enjoyable read.

THE STORY OF MY OUTFIT
There are actually two new items in this outfit and that would be the bag and the boots. I have recently purchases some new bags and this pair of boots from a local store Borsa owned by my husband's friend. I pretty much buy all by bags there. The grey dress is old (see how I styled it here). The blazer is second hand (see how I styled it here). The faux fur coat is vintage, I inherited it from my mother (see how I styled it here).
As always, thank you for reading and stopping by. 

Comments

  1. I'm sorry you'rr having a rough time o ftyhings. You look fabulous, that coat is lovely.
    Virgil's Aeneid ! I went to a grammar school (not a mainstream school) where Latin is still part of the syllabus. I had to translate The Aeneid from Latin to English as part of my Classical Studies A Level. I love the story but hated the task! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that must have been difficult. I didn't have Latin in high school but I had to study it at the University just as everyone in Arts & Humanities. They didn't make us translate Aeneid, though. :)

      Delete
  2. Dearest Ivana, shoulder problems are something we have in common ... May they be better again soon (yours and mine ;-))! We don't have much in common with literary tastes - these types of classics are not "mine". But your outfit with classics, inherited and second-hand is a style that I also like very much.
    Hugs and best wishes
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/01/fruhlingshaftes-winter-picknick-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your shoulder is better. And hope things get better soon. Big hugs. And you look great in the photos :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you are on the mend and taking care of yourself. Lovely outfit! Awesome coat.

    Thank you for the reviews of such great classics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking fabulous! Adoring the paintings! Oh, such great stories you have in your reviews too! So glad to get an update on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time, Ivana!
    Your outfit is absolutely gorgeous, especially that lovely furry coat!
    I'm definitely an indoor reader, so I tend to read more in Autumn and Winter.
    Some interesting literary choices here. I never read Virgil, but both Molière and Hugo were on the curriculum when I was studying French in high school. Such a long time ago now. Perhaps I should re-read some of it, but I'm currently trying to keep my reading a bit lighter. Stay safe, my friend. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sometimes a lighter read is a right choice. I sometimes need to be in a 'special' mood to pick up classics as well.

      Delete
  7. You always amaze me with your reading lists Ivana. You are so studied and full of knowledge. I would love to have you as part of our online book club. You go so indepth and always give me things to think about.
    XOOX
    Jodie
    www.jtouhofstyle.com
    PS...sending more healing love and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear that this month has not been the best for you Ivana. It's a good thing you can put it behind you soon and I'm glad to hear that your shoulder is feeling better. We are currently experiencing the coldest winter day in two years in NYC so staying indoors and reading sounds like a good proposition. I have read Les Miserables which I also thought was excellent. I have been meaning to read The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. I will have to see if I can reserve it from the library. Take care and continue to feel better <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much dear for your sweet comment. I hope you'll enjoy The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. The writing style is very similar to that of Les Miserables.

      Delete
  9. Ah yes I can relate things have been rough for me as well. I hope are are feeling better. You really do read some excellent books. Right now I am reading The Judgement of Paris. It is about the art movement in 19th century Paris/France thought mainly covers the second half of the 19th century. It is really good. Your paintings look great and love that jacket you are wearing it looks great on you!

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allie. That books sounds fascinating. I love French painters.

      Delete
  10. I'm sorry to hear you've been having difficulties with your shoulder - I do hope you're recovered now :) Things are quite strange for everyone these days, in some way or another, and so books can provide a wonderful source of escapism!

    aglassofice.com x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea to go back to the classics and read Virgil, Hugo and Moliere! Your outfit is also very classic. You look incredibly chic in the pencil skirt, the fur jacket and the ankle boots.
    Have a lovely sunday!
    xxxxx Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hugs to you, Ivana. I hope your shoulder gets better, and for the other things in your life to ease a bit. I love seeing what you're reading - of these, the only one I have ever tried was "Les Miserables" and I didn't get very far! I know we have a copy of the Aeneid somewhere...

    I've been rereading one of my favourite sci fi series: The Pliocene Exile Saga by Julian May (a female writer). I haven't read it in 20 years, and am eyeing all the space it takes up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I plan to read more classics, but, with my studies and additional books I'm reading, I don't seem to find the time for these. I hope in the summer I will more time, and I will read a couple of books, if not more. Lovely to see that you've enjoyed them so much, I hope I will too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

FRIDAY FASHION ILLUSTRATION: FANTASY VIBES (SKETCHES)

10 STYLE LESSONS LEARNED FROM MALENA/ MONICA BELLUCCI

DAMEN KAPRIC, ANKICA TOPIĆ (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION)

VISIT MALTA WITH IVANA- HIKING TALES- SAINT JULIAN'S (PART FOUR)

VISIT MALTA WITH IVANA- HIKING TALES- VALLETTA

VISIT MALTA WITH IVANA- HIKING TALES- (PART TWO - SOLO HIKES)

HACKING MONICA BELLUCCI'S STYLE SECRETS

BOOK REVIEWS: EDEN AND THE INVINCIBLE, TWO FABULOUS NOVELS BY STANISLAW LEM

Sights to see, Places to visit ( +outfit post) / Znamenitosti za vidjeti, Mjesta za posjetiti (+odjevna objava)