FASHION ILLUSTRATION FRIDAY: ILLUSTRATING A BLACK DRESS FROM DOLCE & GABBANA AUTUMN COLLECTION

Today I'm sharing a new fashion illustration with you. The dress I illustrated is a Dolce & Gabbana creation from Autumn/Winter 2018/2019 collection. Speaking of which, how did you like the collection? Are you a fan of this designer duo? This is not the only black dress from that collection that caught my eyes, but it's the one I deemed the prettiest. The black dresses from this D&G collection are definitely eye candy. In the past I have illustrated this brand a couple of times. If you want to see more of mine D&G inspired fashion illustrations, you can check out some out here and here.
The fashion illustration I'm sharing today is a mixed media, coloured pencils and watercolour on paper. I prepared a few photographs of the 'making of' process and a short description of the drawing and painting process. Scroll down to see and learn more. On overall, I'm happy how this turned out. I'm even considering gifting it to somebody. It's neither a super detailed realistic creation or an extremely artistic illustration, but it's definitely more than a simple fashion sketch. I did put some time and effort into it. Not a terrible amount of time and effort but I did put some thought into it and I think it looks nice enough to be showed. Since I'm hoping to start a  new ' Friday Fashion Illustration' feature, it makes sense to post it here, doesn't it? 





MAKING OF A FASHION ILLUSTRATION
THE SKETCHING PROCESS IN 3 STEPS

As I said, this is a mixed media illustration. First I sketched the body and the dress outline with an ordinary pencil, then I coloured the body with a coloured pencils in a brown shade. I choose a body pose that I like and I went with it. Typically when I want to illustrate a runaway look, I don't like to rely only on photographs because it is hard to see the details (such as how the fabric falls) on a frozen image. That is why I like to sit down and watch the entire show on the YouTube. I usually mute it because I'm not a fan of modern music, but I do pay attention. There is something fun about selecting a runaway look to illustrate and waiting for it to hit the stage.


The second thing I did was to add more details. I illustrated a sheer dress so I had to make sure to convey that. I colour the darker undergarments with a black pencil and drew the details that were to represent sheer tulle material. I coloured them with a black pencil just a little bit. As you can see, I've also drew some other details, such as the fish net stockings and the gloves with a black pencil.


Finally, I coloured the dress with watercolours. I tried to capture the material that way. I also painted some details such as the eyes and the hair with the watercolours. I think that adding the watercolour was the right thing to do. I even added a  blue background (that for some reason seemed appropriate). And that is how this mixed media illustration was made! Let me know what you think. 


 I'd also like to thank you for all your support and get better wishes. They are very much appreciated. It's been a stressful period for me, health problems and some other things, but hopefully the difficult times are coming to an end. I promise to catch up with your blogs when I can. Speaking of which, I'll probably blog less frequently in the time to come and spend less time on social media. Have a fantastic weekend everyone!

Comments

  1. It's such a beautiful dress and you illustrated it well! So interesting seeing the making of process.

    Sorry to hear that things are still a bit hectic for you though. Hope your weekend is off to a great start and things get better with your health soon!

    Away From The Blue Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my wow! Your illustration looks so chic Ivana dear! Super love the black dress and yes, I'm a big fan of D&G even though I can't afford anything from their line yet haha
    Can't wait to see more of your illustrations!

    love lots,
    Tin

    mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tin. I can't afford them either, but they are a great inspiration.

      Delete
  3. Love this dress design and your beautiful illustration.
    I like how you showed step by step how you did the drawing.

    www.fashionradi.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great illustration! So amazing!
    Kisses!
    www.recklessdiary.ru

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you showed the process of your fabulous illustration, Ivana!! It turned out amazing!!
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. loving your illustrations
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarebbe bello se i due stilisti vedessero la tua illustrazione! Sei troppo brava, sì a me piacciono molto, trovo che siano tra i migliori in Italia!
    Don't Call Me Fashion Blogger
    Facebook
    Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  8. these illustrations look so great!! keep up the work, dear Ivana! and get well soon x
    have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful illustrations Ivana! You're very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Ivana, yes, hopefully this for you so difficult period will really have soon an end. All the best to you, please take care!
    Your fashion illustration turned out great and I understand so well that you are satisfied with it. And I remember the D&G illustrations you showed already here very well as I loved them all! I love also this illustration and I'm impressed how it turned finally out after I follwed the steps they were necessary to finish it. Thanks for sharing and all the best to you!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, I try to take care but it's hard with a chronic illness because nobody can afford to rest all the time.

      Delete
  11. Yes it's very obvious that this illustration took some real time and effort. You did a wonderful job and the dress itself has an almost 3 dimensional look from the detail and texture you were able to create. Social media can be stressful even when one is feeling well so I understand you needing to step back for a bit. Just take good and focus on your health. I'm sending you positive energy in the hopes that you will be back to 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Rowena. I agree about the social media, it can be stressful, especially when we are sick or overworked.

      Delete
  12. Io resto incantata davanti alla tua bravura.... e Dolce & Gabbana è davvero il top

    https://nettaredimiele.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anche a me piacciono moltissimo le collezioni di Dolce & Gabbana, e devo dire che tu gli hai davvero reso onore con quella bellissima illustrazione!
    hai ragione ad esserne fiera, ti è venuta benissimo, e le trasparenze e le arricciarure di quel vestito non sono affatto facili da rendere!
    Baci!
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That dress is fabulous and your illustration is really gorgeous!
    I hope that you will feel better soon, it is sometimes necessary to slow down, because health is the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That dress is amazing,
    I would wear it directly. Unfortunetly it's a designer-piece ;)
    I will probably never be able to affort it.

    take a look at my BLOG and my INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amo l'abito e tutte le sua sfumature !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so talented. Your illustration looks amazing.

    http://www.exclusivebeautydiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it!
    You are so talented ♥

    Ann
    https://roomsofinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Great job!
    XX

    https://www.elblogdebarbaracrespo.com/2018/09/opss/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks a lot :D

    so fabulous! OMG!

    NEW YOUTUBE POST | UPDATE: MY NEW TATTOOS.
    InstagramFacebook Official PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Complimenti, sei bravissima! Buona giornata
    https://chicchedimamma.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Personally I really like D&G - they always have great collections, so I'm really happy that among many great collections, which were designed by other excellent designers, you chose this one :) Your illustration is terrific - it caught my attention on new feed of bloglovin', what's you have really great eye for the details, everything looks amazing here :)
    Take care, Ivana :)

    http://crafty-zone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG you are really talented, keep up with the great work, very inspiring !!
    Sonia
    www.soniaaicha.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Ivana, I hope you feel as well as possible ... Have a wonderful weekend!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your illustration is amazing, dear Ivana! The making-of is very interesting, you are so talented! I think, this geogeous dress would suit yu very much. :-)

    Love, Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dearest Ivana, the outfits of D&G are never boring, alsways inspiring - and the outfit you have chosen for your painting is really a great look! Love your mixed media illustration!
    Hugs my dear, Traude

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great post!
    Do you want to follow each other?
    https://pinkpassionisfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. very nice post!!!! so cool trend!

    http://www.itzytrendy.com/2018/09/fixed-dress.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous dress, loving the style! <3 Very feminine and sexy! Also, I really enjoyed seeing the process behind the illustration. I've always enjoyed getting more insight into the behind of scenes of art! Thanks for sharing, lovely. <3 xoxo

    Kay
    http://shoesandglitter.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

Jadrolinija ferry ride, travelling from Split to island Hvar (outfit post)

10 STYLE LESSONS LEARNED FROM MALENA/ MONICA BELLUCCI

A COMMISSIONED PAINTING OF A CHAPEL IN MOSTAR: ACRYLICS ON CANVAS- TRAVEL WITH MY ART #36

THE LATHE OF HEAVEN BY URSULA K. LE GUIN (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION )

EUGENE ONEGIN, A VERSE NOVEL BY A. PUSHKIN (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION)

BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION: ROADSIDE PICNIC BY ARKADY AND BORIS STRUGATSKY

VISIT STJEPAN'S FORTRESS IN LJUBUŠKI (HERZEGOVINA) WITH ME!

THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ BY L.FRANK BAUM (BOOK REVIEW)

HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY- 15 READING RECOMMENDATIONS!