Hello, dear readers! In this post, I'll review The Painted Veil , a novel by British writer William Somerset Maugham. Published in 1925, this novel was initially considered controversial because of its frank portrayal of martial infidelity. However, I think the implication of diplomatic corruption and the critique of British class system had something to do with it as well. Perhaps it hit a bit too close too home for the 1920th society, and for some especially so. The author faced a lawsuit and had to change the surnames of its protagonist, something that he talks about in the Preface . Moreover, Maugham had to replace Hong Kong with an imaginary name Tching-Yen, thought, this imaginary name was not used in later editions. We don't know whether Maugham was inspired by any particular couple when writing this story, but we do know that he draw from his work experience as a doctor and his dabbling in science. This novel, whose title is a direct reference to Shelley's famous ...
Lots of wonderful things in March, I always enjoy your pictures & art too :) I hope April will bring you lots of happiness :) xx
ReplyDeleteVery nice recap and I like that you are so creative. Have a nice week.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.fashiondenis.com
Your month of March had lots of beautiful flowers in it :)
ReplyDeletehttp://mykindofjoy.blogspot.com/
Ciao Ivana! Molto carino il recap di Marzo, mi sono piaciuti tanto i tuoi disegni. Buona serata!
ReplyDeleteNice recap ! I love your illustrations sweetie :)
ReplyDeleteKreativan mjesec za super kreativnu tebe :) veselim se buducim projektima i lajkam crveni blazer koji ti divno stoji :*
ReplyDeleteChe bello questo collage di immagini! Caterina www.imieioutfit.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteBukvalno sam iste stvari pomislila pre nego što sam videla da ih je Ivana već navela, tako da potpisujem :)
ReplyDeleteMy march was very short...
ReplyDeletewow so inspiring!! <3
ReplyDeletewww.thegrisgirl.blogspot.com.es
Pretty recap, cool post!
ReplyDeleteHave a nice day!
Oh, I love that unfinished drawing which depicts beautiful landscape, it looks wonderful. Hope to see it again when it will be already ready. Your March recap turned out great;)
ReplyDeleteQuante belle idee!
ReplyDeleteBags and other accessories from.. on lowbudget-lowcost Fashion Blog
Lijepo sastavljen post! Vidim da ti je ožujak bio jako produktivan, samo tako dalje! ;)))
ReplyDeleteBeautiful collection of photos, so many pretty things here.
ReplyDeleteDivne fotke! Zelim ti uspjesan i kreativan april sa puno DIY projekata (njima se posebno veselim) :) x
ReplyDeleteSei carinissima e super creativa tesoro! :D
ReplyDeleteBaci!
S
http://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.it/
March was artsy and fun. So sweet.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.thefashionstirfry.com